Accord V6 Forum banner

dvd wiring help please...

3K views 34 replies 5 participants last post by  borinka99 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, here's what I have

-headunit
-7" lcd screen
-dvd player

today I wired everything in the car, the headunit works, the screen turns on, but the dvd won't power on. I just bought a new fuse for it too, but here's the question:

Here's a picture I drew of the DC Power cord:

edit:

Both wires are black, so I connected both to the ground wire (Is this where I went wrong?) Why is there a need for both black wires on the DC cord? Is one wire supposed to go to the red?

Please help me out, thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
bump :(

Do people even look in this forum lol? I wonder how many people actually use "view new posts" and how many just go to certain forums.

#4 · (Edited)
OK, I just checked the 2 wires that come from the DC power cord. Both are black wires with the silver hoop at the end.

1 Wire goes from the fuse and one wire goes straight from the box. Which wire is supposed to connect to the ground?

Where does the second wire connect to? The red (12V+ Ignition/Switched) or the Yellow (12V+ Battery/Constant)

here's the new picture I drew out:

#5 ·
Ok, let me see if I understood correctly, the two wires are black, the one with the fuse and the one with out. I asume the one with out the fuse is ground and the one with the fuse is power, you can connect the one the fuse with either red or yellow, depends if you want the dvd player always on or not. I would hook it up to the red, switched. If this is the only power source to the dvd player it should work.

#7 ·
OK, thanks for the help guys... I wired everything and it worked, but...

When I had everything turned on, I moved my headunit back a little bit and everything shut off. Did I blow a fuse? Which fuse? How do I check this? Do I have any backup fuses somewhere in my car or will I need to buy a new one? Please help.

Also, the DVD player worked but the sound wouldn't work...let me explain:

I have the following in the back of my headunit with red and white inputs, I have:

CD. C-IN
REAR
FRONT
S. W-OUT
AUX

The only way the sound worked was when I plugged the red and white wires into the Rear or Front inputs. How can I make it so that all the speakers work? When I plugged into the Aux, nothing worked.

here's what I have in the back of the dvd player:

Video out - L audio out - R audio out
Video in- L audio in - r audio in

So far, all I connected was the all the AV outputs and ran the video out to the screen and the L/R audio to the Rears.

Please help :)

#8 ·
Seems like you have some loose wires behind your hu, make sure your wires are nice and neat and not just everywhere, spend the extra time and do things right(solder and tape the wires for a durable connection)

As for the dvd audio, just use the audio out L and R to your hu's aux in L and R, it should work with no problems.

#9 · (Edited)
Seems like you have some loose wires behind your hu, make sure your wires are nice and neat and not just everywhere, spend the extra time and do things right(solder and tape the wires for a durable connection)
Yea, I was just about to put everything together all neat but then everything turned off. What can I do now? The radio won't turn on, I think it's a fuse but I don't know which one. Everything is still wired the same way.

As for the dvd audio, just use the audio out L and R to your hu's aux in L and R, it should work with no problems.
I put them in the hu's AUX L and r but the sound didn't come until I put them into the rear speakers. I don't know why.

#10 ·
Update:

I pulled the radio fuse and it was blown. I replaced it, but it still won't power up. What else could it be? Is there anything else I have to do when replacing the fuse? All I did was take out the blown one, and got a spare one from the box in the engine compartment.

What else can I do? What else can it be?

#13 ·
check the radio fuse in the fuse box...it mighta blown that one too
the one that was blown was the radio fuse in the fuse box that's inside the car on the passenger side. Is there another radio fuse somewhere too?

#15 ·
there should be one on the power lead of ur head unit
you mean inside the headunit? do I have to take something apart?

I'm so pissed lol, everything was working and it looked tight and then...:eek:

#17 ·
not in the head unit...on the power wire that comes from the head unit and attaches to the power wire from the car
sorry, but I don't understand.

I have the headunit connected to the wiring harness that just snaps on to the stock harness. So I have all the wires coming from the harness. By power wire, are you talking about the black (ground wire), red (12V ignition) or yellow (12v battery). Are you just saying make sure they are connected properly?

What I think it is is that when I nudged the headunit back a little, the red and black wires touched and caused everything to turn off (this is just a guess)

#19 ·
OK, I just went to check it out. There was a fuse connected to the red wire, here is what it looked like:

red wire on each side, then a silver wire connected to something that looks like a pill and a couple copper-colored wires coming out of each side but not connected to anything.

here's what the white pill-looking thing says:
Box around "M", then it says 1w
221J

I just found an old POS Pyle cd player that I had a long time ago and took out the fuse connected to the red wire. The copper wires on each side connect to a cylindrical-glass fuse with a silver diagonal wire inside.
Also, the pyle CD player has a fuse box connected to the black and yellow wires. The box says "Filter and Fuse Box" and inside it has 1 fuse and some other stuff, but my new HU doesn't have this.

Is this how it should be? Do I need to buy a new fuse? And what kind?

thanks for helping me out svp50 and everyone else BTW, I really appreciate it.

#21 ·
hmm u sorta confused me...can u get a picture or diagram?? my guess if ur radio fuse blew then this one is blown too...i don't know what kinda fuse it is... u can try looking in the owners manual...also does the monitor and dvd player still work???

no prob man as long as u get me some pictures when ur done(u beat me to the install)
damn, I guess I'm gonna go to circuit city to try to find some software for my digicam.

here's is a picture I drew (if it helps):

and here is a picture of the Pyle cd player fuse that I have in my living room:

#23 ·
So is everything still not working? Do you have the dvd, hu, and screen hooked up to the same power(red wire)? Anything come back to life when you changed the blown fuse on the pass. side? You might have some wires touching, like you said the ground and power, that could be bad, just check your power wires (red, black and yellow) to see if they are not touching. Also, check your fuse again, if there is some wires touching somewhere it's probably blown again.

#25 ·
So is everything still not working? Do you have the dvd, hu, and screen hooked up to the same power(red wire)? Anything come back to life when you changed the blown fuse on the pass. side? You might have some wires touching, like you said the ground and power, that could be bad, just check your power wires (red, black and yellow) to see if they are not touching. Also, check your fuse again, if there is some wires touching somewhere it's probably blown again.
everything is wired up, but still not working. The wires aren't touching, and I just checked the radio fuse, and it's fine.

It might be the fuse in the headunit like svp50 said, but it's a weird-looking fuse so I'm not sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.