DIY - Alternator Install - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD FAQ
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23rd, 2003, 01:04 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Deuce415
DIY - Alternator Install

I think this is a useful DIY to have here:

--- originally posted by Vestax on AV6.com ---

Installed an Alterstart 180a Alternator

After a few car audio competitions, I manage to kill the stock OEM Delphi alternator within 2 to 3 months. I figure if Iím gonna replace the stock alt, I better find a more powerful output one. I did some research on this board, and the general consensus for a cheap but better replacement was the Alterstart 180a Alternator. http://www.4alterstart.com The installation and removal of our 6th Gen V6 alternator was easier than I expected. I ended up getting the Haynes repair manual for our car, which was only $15 at a local Autozone. The booklet was sufficient and I donít think $115 for the Helmís manual would be any better unless I was doing some major engine work. The total processing time was probably at most, 3 hours. I imagine if I tackled it again, it would take me way less than that. However, there were a couple of minor problems I ran into. I did find myself short of some tools and I had to make some trips to the store to get them. There were just a couple of socket and wrenches that were missing from my set. Make sure you have a sufficient amount of tools before doing this. The other problem I ran into was the aftermarket Alterstart alternator pulley. It was smaller than our stock alt pulley and since our car has an automatic belt tensioner, it wasnít possible to make adjustments to it. With the small pulley, my serpentine belt slipped every time I started my car. I think over time, the belt would wear out faster if I left it like that. I had to remove the alternator to fix this problem. I took both alts to a local shop and they exchanged the pulleys for like $5.

Below are the instructions on how to remove the alternator from a 98 V6 Accord. Installation is basically the reverse except you should upgrade (bigger awg) wires with a higher output alternator. There are basically 2 ways to remove the alternator, the easy way and the hard way. The hard way is the first section. The easier way is at the bottom. Keep in mind, Iím only a car audio installer, not a mechanic, so bare with me.

Removal Method 1 (Condenser Fan Removal)

1. Disconnect battery (negative first, then positive). Remember that when you do this, your stock radio will be reset and you will need to input the anit-theft code to use it again.
2. To make things easier, you can loosen the power steering fluid reservoir before you start. Itís just one mounting bolt that holds it. Disconnect straps, cables, and connectors around the area alternator area. Donít worry if you miss one, because as youíre removing, youíll disconnect them anyway. Be sure to remember what goes where.
3. Disconnect all the electrical connections to the condenser fan and any lock tabs associated with it. The condenser fan is the fan on your left side (passenger side) as you look into the engine bay from the front. There are basically 3 bolts that hold down this fan, 2 on top, and 1 at the bottom which is a ***** to get to but itís doable. Carefully pull this fan out paying attention to all the connectors to it. There are cruise control cables that need to be loosen so that you can remove the fan.
4. The alternator has a serpentine belt to it. To loosen or remove it, you have to use a wrench to move the lever up, then slide the belt off.
5. Disconnect the alternator. There are 2 plugs. One is a connector and the other needs to be screwed off.
6. Removing the alternator. There are basically 2 bolts, one upper and one lower, both different sizes, that hold the alternator in. I suggest you remove them at the same time. If you unbolted one all the way, it makes it harder to remove the other one. Pull the alternator out. Itís a really tight area so be careful.
7. The installation is the reverse of all this. Remember, the pulleys should approximately be the same size as the OEM one or else, your belt would slip if itís smaller.

The easier way is basically skipping the condenser fan removal and removing the alternator through the power steering fluid reservoir area. I was told this by Illusion but went ahead and did it the harder way first. The 2nd time I removed it, I did it this way but itís just harder to get out because the area is very very tight.

The wires I upgraded were the ground wires, and I ran a new wire from the alternator to battery positive. You can use a 2 to 4 awg wire for this.

Overall, I think if you have little to some DIY skills, you can accomplish this job fairly easy. Just leave yourself some time if something goes wrong. I think covered most the basic areas and Iím sorry if I wasnít detailed enough. Thanks to Illusion and Deuce for the tips. Feel free to comment.
Looks: 35% 3M Solabird tint | OEM spoiler | OEM Sunroof Visor | VIS OEM CF Hood | TYC Projectors | CF Eyelids | XenonDepot 4300K H1 HID | TYC Tails
Audio: Alpine CDA-7894 | Apline CHA-S634 | JL Audio 300/4 | Canton RS 2.16 Components | Infinity Kappa 693.3i | JL Audio 12w3v2
Deuce415 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2003, 12:37 PM   #2
Senior Moderhater

Send a message via AIM to abram2001
I have a question, how did you guy move the tensioner pulley for the serpentine belt on the alternator? Its hard to just lift it up and move it. What tips or tricks do you recommend for removing that serpantine belt, and lifting up the tensioner pulley. Thanks

~Abe
abram2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 28th, 2003, 01:47 PM   #3

to move the tensioner, what i did, was use a long metal rod( about 1/2" thick) and just held it down wit that.
sonnieeeeboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old December 28th, 2003, 02:02 PM   #4
Senior Moderhater

Send a message via AIM to abram2001
What do you mean hold it down? This tensior you have to move up
abram2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 28th, 2004, 03:26 PM   #5

Just changed my alternator with an Alterstart 180v one. The above notes were very good, but just wanted to add a few things.

- If you want to swap pulleys you need to use an impact wrench (air compressor)

- The auto tensioner bolt is 14mm. So, you will need a long (over 1.5 ft) monkey wrench to release tension on the alternator belt. Murrays sells a long tool that does this also which costs $14.99.

I opted to take the condenser fan off. It is only 3 bolts and didn't take very long to take out. All in all it took me about 4 hours. Keep in mind I took my sweet time and had to swap the pulleys also. This is not a difficult project.
lorenzo_n16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #6
Fire Fighter

Send a message via MSN to Dave Morin
I'm also having trouble with the belt, could anyone get a picture? i am trying to remove it right now everythign else is simple. Is the automatic tensioner beneith a black plastic over?
Dave Morin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 4th, 2004, 08:54 PM   #7
Fire Fighter

Send a message via MSN to Dave Morin
guh i'm a morron, i looked way too hard for something that was so simple to find... the tensioner pulley is the one to the left of the Alternator if you're looking at the pullies, the belt runs underneath it
Dave Morin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 10th, 2004, 12:46 AM   #8
GOT BOOST?? I DO!!

If you get a long-handled wrench, place it on the pulley nut and pull counter-clockwise (rear of the car). This will rotate the tensioner pully upward to allow you to get some slack on it.
visaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 3rd, 2005, 01:50 PM   #9

wondering about the groud wire, where the hell does it go.....looks like the thing goes right into the damn intake manifold and then i loose sight of it.
peoples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:25 PM   #10
HID noob

Nice DIY
Where does everyone get the aftermaket alt? Which 1 is the best for our car, with UR crank pulley?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1lif2liv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:32 PM   #11
Formerly VTEC-v6!

For an aftermarket alt, see the V6P E-Store, we have our own now made my V6P Motorsports, and it's better than the Alterstart
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 9th, 2005, 02:41 PM   #12

ok. i've got a problem with the above DIY. The "easier way" is not possible. By removing the power steering fluid reservoir....there is no way to remove the alternator without removing the condenser fan. Make life easy....and remove that thing first. I spent a good 20 minutes spinning and flipping the damn thing trying to get....just getting more and more frustrated.

I upgraded my alternator....and everything it running fine. However......I did not upgrade my wires yet (which should not be a problem....until I attempt to hook up my amps). should I do a seperate run straight to the battery?, because the main wire going straight to the fuse box is fused off by a 100 amp fuse. It makes sense to me, to do a seperate run straight to the battery....is this right?
Old October 9th, 2005, 02:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoples
ok. i've got a problem with the above DIY. The "easier way" is not possible. By removing the power steering fluid reservoir....there is no way to remove the alternator without removing the condenser fan. Make life easy....and remove that thing first. I spent a good 20 minutes spinning and flipping the damn thing trying to get....just getting more and more frustrated.

I upgraded my alternator....and everything it running fine. However......I did not upgrade my wires yet (which should not be a problem....until I attempt to hook up my amps). should I do a seperate run straight to the battery?, because the main wire going straight to the fuse box is fused off by a 100 amp fuse. It makes sense to me, to do a seperate run straight to the battery....is this right?
Yeah 4 gauge
wht/accord99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 9th, 2005, 02:57 PM   #14

so just to make sure i got it, its a seperate run, in addition to the stock runs?

also....for everyone else's information who is planning on doing this. There is no need to replace/upgrade a ground wire.....the thing is grounded straight to the block.
Old October 9th, 2005, 03:04 PM   #15

also, how much of a fuse should I put on the direct run to the battery, with a 200 amp alternator? 200 amp fuse?
Old October 15th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #16

Hmmmm.....what do you guys think about this alternator:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/180-A...05595570QQrdZ1

It says 180 amps but I dont know much about this company. I need a new one bad. My alternator can't keep up with my carputer, two amps, and a sub. Battery dies at least every other day.
volum3rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 15th, 2005, 01:17 PM   #17

wow, I havent seen a "new" alternator on ebay for our cars yet. Nice price, I'd jump on that if i were you, lots of sales, good rating.
Old October 15th, 2005, 08:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by volum3rider
Hmmmm.....what do you guys think about this alternator:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/180-A...05595570QQrdZ1

It says 180 amps but I dont know much about this company. I need a new one bad. My alternator can't keep up with my carputer, two amps, and a sub. Battery dies at least every other day.

Was looking at this too a wek back. Emailed the guy and said there is a 2-year warranty. Price looks good but lifetime warranty w/ the Alterstart sounds better.
fido14dido is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 15th, 2005, 10:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido14dido
Was looking at this too a wek back. Emailed the guy and said there is a 2-year warranty. Price looks good but lifetime warranty w/ the Alterstart sounds better.
hmmmmm... I guess thats true but two years is plenty of time for me.
volum3rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 27th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #20

So the belt is well behaved and doesn't jump off too bad so you have to re-route it through/around the other pulleys once the new alt is on?

Only ask because that was the case on previous cars I've done, and it looks damn near impossible to reroute the belt if it jumps off bad

-aaron
arcl100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #21

its not too bad to reroute it.......of course it didnt jump off toooo bad for me.........if you push down the tensioner you can pull it, and work it into place until you have it right
Old August 1st, 2007, 07:52 PM   #22
Blends No. 27

Wow, I forgot about this tutorial. I had pics with this thread... but I guess it disappeared...

Here's the only one I could find....

Difference in pulleys

Vestax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 2nd, 2007, 02:20 PM   #23

That would be nice to have a pulley option that would spin the alternator faster.. Then you can under drive the rest of the stuff, and keep your alternator at stock, if not a little faster

What alternators are those? Aftermarket 180A one on the left, stock on right?
ericspda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:16 PM   #24
Blends No. 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspda
That would be nice to have a pulley option that would spin the alternator faster.. Then you can under drive the rest of the stuff, and keep your alternator at stock, if not a little faster

What alternators are those? Aftermarket 180A one on the left, stock on right?
Yah... the stock one is on the right.

The one of the left is the Alterstart one. Honestly, now that I think about it, it was a POS. It actually output lowered at idle, but only made more current at higher RPM.

I eventually killed that one.

I bought a Bosch one at Pep Boys. It's supposedly lifetime guarantee. So every time I give them the casing, they'll just give me a new one.
Vestax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #25
HOOK 'EM

Send a message via AIM to blackdragon
I'm about to attempt this tomorrow if the rain ain't too bad, hope everything goes OK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
blackdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
I'm about to attempt this tomorrow if the rain ain't too bad, hope everything goes OK
It had to be the easiest repair i did to my car.... Well, it was the only repair so far, but its easy anyways.. lol
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestax View Post
Yah... the stock one is on the right.

The one of the left is the Alterstart one. Honestly, now that I think about it, it was a POS. It actually output lowered at idle, but only made more current at higher RPM.

I eventually killed that one.

I bought a Bosch one at Pep Boys. It's supposedly lifetime guarantee. So every time I give them the casing, they'll just give me a new one.
Thats solid... I think im going to just live with my stocker, and when it blows get a new one off ebay for $35.... Its still working, so im good with its performance thus far...
Old March 19th, 2017, 07:18 PM   #28

should this be done preventatively
ashtonallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.