DIY, Replacing Main Relay (AV6) - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD FAQ
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2004, 11:07 PM   #1
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
DIY: Replacing Main Relay (AV6)

Notice: Power to the radio WILL be cut during this procedure, so be sure to remember to back up your presets and find your anti-theft card before starting. Also, I am NOT responsible for any injuries and/or damage that might occur when doing this DIY on your car.

Symptoms of a malfunctioning main relay:

1. After engine fires up normally it just dies instantly.
2. Engine wonít fire up at all, kind of like having no gas in your gas tank.

Repair:

What you will need:
1. Flathead screwdriver
2. A new main relay: Order here
Example part order list (main relay - Illustration #10): Here (1999 AV6 coupe)

Main Relay (1999 AV6 Coupe):

Instructions for replacement:

Step one - Disconnect the car battery.
Step two - Locate the main relay under the driver side foot-well.

Main relay circled in red.

Step three - Unplug the brown plug from main relay.
Step four - Force the screwdriver in between the relay near one of the sliding clips and the metal bracket. Twist the screwdriver and plastic sliding part of the relay will just break causing the relay to fall off the bracket.

Step five - Slide new relay into the top of the metal bracket, pull down until it slides and then clicks in. Plug in the brown plug on the underside of the relay and make sure the tab clicks in.
Step six - Reconnect your battery, set time on your clock and enter your radio antitheft code (if applicable).
Step seven - Start your car to test it and your done .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2004, 01:17 AM   #2

can u specifiy where the main relay is located at?? thanx!
ponickka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 3rd, 2004, 01:19 AM   #3
Senior Moderhater

Send a message via AIM to abram2001
Its looks like under the Driver Side foot-well
abram2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 3rd, 2004, 02:01 AM   #4

a wide pix?? perhaps??
Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:23 AM   #5
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Nice DIY Chris It will definitely come in handy for a lot of folks out there since the main relay is a very common problem in Hondas.

BTW, I agree with ponickka. Maybe you should put one wide-angle shot of the footwell to show exactly where the main relay is located. I'm a noob and have never looked down there so I wouldn't even know where to start
TH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 3rd, 2004, 08:59 AM   #6
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by TH23 on April 3rd, 2004 at 05:23 AM

Nice DIY Chris It will definitely come in handy for a lot of folks out there since the main relay is a very common problem in Hondas.

BTW, I agree with ponickka. Maybe you should put one wide-angle shot of the footwell to show exactly where the main relay is located. I'm a noob and have never looked down there so I wouldn't even know where to start
Thanks

It is located just to the right of the steering unit under the foot-well. But your right, it would be easier with a wider angle pic. Iíll take one and add it to the instructions.

Quote:
Originally posted by abram2001 on April 3rd, 2004 at 03:19 AM

Its looks like under the Driver Side foot-well
I knew I forgot a detail . Fixed
Old April 4th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #7

plz post pix..thank you!
Old April 4th, 2004, 05:42 PM   #8
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by ponickka on April 4th, 2004 at 05:24 PM

plz post pix..thank you!
Ok ok, I added it . And your welcome .
Old April 5th, 2004, 02:08 AM   #9

sorry if this is a dumb question, driver side foot well..is that the gas pedal??? or wut not?? plz help..thanx!
Old April 5th, 2004, 02:22 AM   #10
thread killer

Send a message via AIM to vtecricebox
^ i think it's under the dash on the driver side
vtecricebox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 5th, 2004, 04:26 PM   #11
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by vtecricebox on April 5th, 2004 at 03:22 AM

^ i think it's under the dash on the driver side
Yes it is. It says so in the instructions .
Old April 8th, 2004, 08:26 PM   #12

thanx for all the info

but its seems like my car is gettin worst now..

i have yet to order that main relay ...but like sometyme wen i try to crank up the car to start ...it wouldn't start..now even wid turning the parking light on, it still wouldnt work

but sometyme if i step on the gas pedal couple time prior to turnign the car on..it will actually work..but this is a time to time basics...

so do this really have something to do wid the main relay??

thanx ...any help would be great
Old April 8th, 2004, 09:03 PM   #13
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Quote:
Originally posted by TH23
Maybe you should put one wide-angle shot of the footwell to show exactly where the main relay is located. I'm a noob and have never looked down there so I wouldn't even know where to start
http://www.v6performance.net/gallery...sort=1&cat=500
http://www.v6performance.net/gallery...sort=1&cat=500
  • 1999 Honda Accord 4dr LX (Beater)
Gone but not forgotten: 2002 Honda Accord 4dr EX-V6
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 10th, 2004, 01:27 AM   #14
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by ponickka on April 8th, 2004 at 09:26 PM

but sometyme if i step on the gas pedal couple time prior to turnign the car on..it will actually work..but this is a time to time basics...

so do this really have something to do wid the main relay??

thanx ...any help would be great
Don't let that mislead you. I was able to get my car to start by doing odd things to it many times. I was able to put some gas into it once or twice after it wouldn't start and it would start right up without a problem.

Even if the relay isn't the problem you are having with your car it should be the first fix you do to solve the problem. For around $20 bucks and a 5 minutes install it is much easier (and cheaper ) than replacing the fuel pump or and other part related with the starting of your car .

And thanks for the pictures James. They are still about the same as mine but just show the brake pedal. I should have thought of that .
Old April 10th, 2004, 03:39 PM   #15

thanx for all these input...do u dink i should jsut as my friend (who owns a accord) to let me use the relay switch?? just to see if that's the probleM>?>?

will the v6 fit my i4? i have friends wid v6 and i4..and does sedan and coupe really matter??
Old April 10th, 2004, 10:54 PM   #16
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by ponickka on April 10th, 2004 at 04:39 PM

thanx for all these input...do u dink i should jsut as my friend (who owns a accord) to let me use the relay switch?? just to see if that's the probleM>?>?

will the v6 fit my i4? i have friends wid v6 and i4..and does sedan and coupe really matter??
Coupe V6 and Sedan V6 wouldn't matter. But after looking at the part #'s the inline 4 relay has a different part # and also costs twice as much for some reason. So I wouldn't use an inline 4 relay on your V6.
Old April 11th, 2004, 01:15 AM   #17

mines is a i4..so i can use a coupe i4 rite?? would the ex, lx has any differences??? and would sedan and coupe has difference??

i really wanna test it out , before buyin it.. hehe (i'm really low on cash after wut i spend lately)
Old April 11th, 2004, 01:19 AM   #18
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by ponickka on April 11th, 2004 at 02:15 AM

mines is a i4..so i can use a coupe i4 rite?? would the ex, lx has any differences??? and would sedan and coupe has difference??
Question one, yes
Question two, no
Question three, no
Old April 11th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #19

thank you
Old April 20th, 2004, 05:29 PM   #20
Senior Moderhater

Send a message via AIM to abram2001
guys, summer time is normally when these relays go hay wire. When the Main Relay for the fuel pump above goes out, you will lose fuel pressure, and your car will litterally gag and die.

This is how you would test to see if your main relay is bad on most hondas, including our accord.

1) Remove the main relay.
2) Attach the battery positive terminal to the No. 4 terminal and the battery negative terminal to the No. 8 terminal of the main relay. Then check for continuity between the No. 5 terminal and No. 7 terminal of the main relay.
- If there is continuity, go on to step 3.
- If there is no continuity, replace the relay and retest.
3)Attach the battery positive terminal to the No. 5 terminal and the battery negative terminal to the No. 2 terminal of the main relay. Then check that there is continuity between the No. 1 terminal and No. 3 terminal of the main relay.
- If there is continuity, go on to step 4.
4)Attach the battery positive terminal to the No. 3 terminal and battery negative terminal to the No. 8 terminal of the main relay. Then check that there is continuity between the No. 5 terminal and No. 7 terminal of the main relay.
- If there is continuity, the relay is OK; If the fuel pump still does not work, go to Harness Test.

The way to do it is the same, but if you look on the relay that chris is holding, the numbers are differant. All you need to do is appropriate the numbers above accordingly to the relay below.

Use this info at your own risk, I got this online, and have not checked the validity of the claims. But let me reasure you a certified mechanic said how to do this.
abram2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 8th, 2004, 10:00 PM   #21

Had some questions. Did you need any special tools to get under there? Like a weird Honda screwdriver? And anything else a newbie should know before attempting this? My car hasn't started for a few days now. Seems like the car won't ignite. Battery's good, but just won't start up, just stutters. Hoping this will fix it. Really busy with school and work and stressed with the car to top it off. Thanks in advance for replying.
Silver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 9th, 2004, 01:56 AM   #22
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Nope, no special tools needed. You just need a flathead screwdriver to break the old relay out of the metal bracket that holds it in.
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:50 PM   #23
VTECRACING87

Send a message via AIM to dmxarnold
my car had problems starting replaced the main relay now everything is great no problems so far thanks plum
dmxarnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 4th, 2004, 11:33 AM   #24
Drop Dead Gorgeous

Send a message via AIM to Aztro
My car has been doing something like this recently. It was no gas the first time, but then even with a full tank of gas it was the same thing. It wants to start but it can't, as you said, almost as if there is no gas. Also I noticed that when my engine is warm/hot and I start my car the rpm needle goes low, and sometimes it even goes crazy between 1 and 0. I wonder if its due to the main relay problem as well....
Aztro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 5th, 2004, 12:09 AM   #25
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztro
My car has been doing something like this recently. It was no gas the first time, but then even with a full tank of gas it was the same thing. It wants to start but it can't, as you said, almost as if there is no gas. Also I noticed that when my engine is warm/hot and I start my car the rpm needle goes low, and sometimes it even goes crazy between 1 and 0. I wonder if its due to the main relay problem as well....
The warm start problem might not have much to do with the main relay problem. I have had the warm start problem happen a few times since I replaced mine but no where near as bad as before. If or when I figure out what really causes the warm start problem I will let you all know and make a DIY .

You do need to change your relay for the no start problem though .
Old August 6th, 2004, 03:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumaccordcoupe
The warm start problem might not have much to do with the main relay problem. I have had the warm start problem happen a few times since I replaced mine but no where near as bad as before. If or when I figure out what really causes the warm start problem I will let you all know and make a DIY .

You do need to change your relay for the no start problem though .
Man, that thing was a pain to get out. I tried to get the old (still working) relay out without breaking it, but it was impossible. Then, putting the new one in, it wouldn't slide all the way down on the metal bracket. It's secure, but not like the old one.
krypttic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 7th, 2004, 01:27 AM   #27
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypttic
Man, that thing was a pain to get out. I tried to get the old (still working) relay out without breaking it, but it was impossible. Then, putting the new one in, it wouldn't slide all the way down on the metal bracket. It's secure, but not like the old one.
I know, it's a PITA to get the old relay out . The first time I attempted it I couldn't get it out so I just unplugged the wire from the old one and plugged it into the new one. Yeah it was hanging down a bit but at least my car would start up without any problems . On my next attempt I said screw it and broke it off of the metal bracket . Though you shouldn't have any trouble sliding the new one into the bracket. Mine slide right on and won't come off.
Old August 7th, 2004, 01:18 PM   #28

Yeah, I'm thinking that I may have bent the bracket a bit when I was trying to get the old one off. Oh well--it's on there securely, just not perfect.

I'm sure I still have the warm start issue, but I wanted to replace this just in case. It's been five years, and even though it was working properly, it sounds like I would have had problems soon anyway--especially since I live in Arizona.
krypttic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:33 AM   #29
VTECRACING87

Send a message via AIM to dmxarnold
haha when i had my main relay problem everyone told me it was my distributor caps rotor and wires but after i spent money on magnecor race wires and denso iridium spark plugs it was still having start problems so i talked to plummy and i replaced the main relay. Boom no problems starting for 2 months. Main relay is your problem
dmxarnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 21st, 2004, 12:46 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRocka
ight i changed the master relay today, fkn $80 for the relay good thing with this mb i was able to do it myself. lets see if it works, i guess only time can tell...

$80 is like 4 times the amount that it cost through the link Plum provided.

I've had the warm start up problem where the rpms would go up and down and the rpm would go so low a few times that my car almost died. It actually died a couple of times on me over the past half year or so. Every single day, I would encounter the warm start up problem. However, I juust changed my battery this past week to the optima red top, and guess what? no more warm start up problem. Not even one time this whole week.
whtaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.