Honda Accord V6 (AV6) Transmission ~ FAQ - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD FAQ
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 17th, 2003, 10:14 AM   #1

Post Honda Accord V6 (AV6) Transmission ~ FAQ

Transmission FAQ

This is a rough draft that I have made using information collected from the forum. My 98 AV6 has 56,000 miles on its original transmission, so all this info is based on what people have posted. So if anybody out there sees something wrong or would like me to add something, post it and I'll edit it.

I've got a few questions for those out there who know more about this than me...

How long will the tranny last when the jerking and missed gears start?
Is the warranty on the new Honda tranny the same as the rebuilt one?
My car has those symptoms, how long will my tranny last?
Can I bring it in to Honda when these symptoms show?
If I catch this problem early enough, can I get it fixed instead of completely replacing the transmission?

This FAQ covers the faulty OEM Honda automatic tranmissions on 98-01 Honda Accords.

Which Accords does it affect and what has Honda done so far to fix the situation:
1998 and 1999 models have no extended warranty
2000 and 2001 models get an extended warranty on it(7yrs/100,000mi)
2002 models have the bearing problem for the transmissions fixed, which supposedly fixes the tranny problem and thus are exempt from the extended warranty

even though your model may not be covered by the extended warranty, it's possible that Honda can pay for all or a fraction of the cost, see the cost of fixing it section

When will the transmission fail?
It's unpredictable, some people report 100,000 miles on their transmission with no signs of slowing down, other's have had to replace it at 33,000 miles. Some are stock, some have the B&M supercooler. It's totally random.

How can I prevent it?
Install a B&M supercooler and external filter for the transmission. Try carparts.com. But there is no definite guarantee that this will prevent the tranny from breaking down.

Since the transmission is very fragile to begin with, if you drastically increase hp on your car, such as adding on a supercharger, this will only shorten the lifespan of your transmission

Can I take legal action against Honda?
Yes visit this site-
http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/sho...threadid=24415

Currently this lawsuit does not apply to 1998 and 1999 models, but you can contact the law firm to try to get your car included.

Symptoms:
- erratic shifting
- the car jerks, esp. when you blip the throttle
- the car shifts roughly from 1st to 2nd
- when shifting to D from P, R, or N- it takes longer than usual and jerks harder than normal
- tranny holds a gear for an unusually long time, followed by the some slippage when going into the next gear
- D4 light blinks randomly

The tranmission is officially dead when it stops catching gears, the D4 light starts blinking, and the CEL light comes on.

What is slippage?
Transmission slipage is when the engine is reving up while in gear, and there is no direct vehicle speed increase.

Like if you're taking off lightly from a stop and the engine revs to say 4,000 rpm and you're barely moving. Or if you're cruising at 50mph and lay down on the accelerator, the engine revs but there's no acceleration. That's when your transmission is slipping.

Cost of fixing it:
The cost of replacing the transmission is about $4000 for a new Honda tranny or $2000 for a rebuilt one. Right now, there is no official Honda policy to deal with this situation, so some people have to pay for everything, others get everything for free, and some just have to pay a fraction of the cost. If your dealership is playing hardball, contact Honda of America directly. Honda may first replace the speed sensor and the solenoid on the tranmission and then wait and see what happens. There have been a few members on this board who have had to replace their tranny more than once.

Warranty on OEM Honda replacement tranny:
A warranty of 3 years or 36,000 miles.

When my tranny goes, can I install a different tranny:
Yes, but remember there is no warranty (for the CL-S, not sure about the V6Performance), no possibility of Honda paying to fix the problem, and the V6Performance alternative is not out yet.

CL-S tranny with new ECU (extremely rare to find)

Or

V6Performance Network Inc. Automatic Transmission Upgrade Kit.
They have a company currently working on the first prototype of this unit.

Here are a few of the features:
- Limited Slip Differential
- Upgraded fiber clutches
- Upgraded torque converter
- Custom built upgraded internal pieces
- Valve body modifications to improve shifting
- All upgrades are COMPATIBLE with the factory ECU
- Shift firmness will be improved
- Shift quality will be improved
- Will OUTLAST the autoTRAGIC transmission Honda is using
- Expected power handling of 500 HP
- Target price is expected to be BELOW the NEW Honda unit

I am beginning a poll to find the interst in this upgrade. V6P.net is investing a lot of money into the research and development of this product. This product will only be available through this website, or it's appointed distributors. Please vote honestly, this needs to be as accurate as possible. So if you plan on selling your car in the next 6 months, you will not need to vote.

Since the options will not fit into the category lines for making a poll, select the option in which you wish to vote for. Here are the 4 options:

OPTION 1 When it's available, I will be immediately getting this new AV6 Tranny Upgrade Kit with complete high performance custom parts, with Limited Slip Differential, instead of another Honda OEM Transmission replacement for $5,500 and after reviewing the successful the R&D and Dyno results!

OPTION 2 When it's available, I definitely plan be ordering this new AV6 Tranny Kit within 2-4 months of it's release. I am starting to save now, or maybe I'll put it on my Xmas list for my parents.

OPTION 3 I definitely want one, just need to know how much I have to save!

OPTION 4 I am not interested in this upgrade. I don't plan to keep the car.

Best regards,

Toby Hirsch (ASE)
Alias: Ei-ccord
Administrator

Director
New Product Development & Services
V6Performance Network, Inc.
www.v6performance.net
Spacemonkee23 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eurotrash; September 20th, 2003 at 09:26 PM..
eurotrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2003, 10:48 AM   #2
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Viper Send a message via Yahoo to Viper
I'd get it if I still had my Accord for sure.
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 17th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #3
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Excellent.

One thing to add. Honda has been "goodwill warrantying" 98-99 tranny's even if they're not technically covered. As long as you state your case and disappointment respectfully, and especially if you have maintenance records showing that you cared for the car properly, it is likely that Honda will offer you some help.

Possibilities include, but are not limited to...

- Honda picking up the entire tab.
- Honda paying for the rebuilt, you just for labor.
- Honda splitting the cost with you 50/50.

I thought I remember hearing a long long time ago that Honda's internal policy was that they would pay for the entire operation, or maybe just have you pay for labor up to 75,000 miles. Up to 90,000 miles they would still split cost with you. Beyond that I think you are on your own, unless the warranty is extended either by Honda, or by yourself purchasing an extended warranty. This is all very foggy though, so don't hold me to any of these policy vs mileage statements, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bye bye, will miss u :-( going... going... GONE

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old August 19th, 2003, 06:51 PM   #4

does anybody know if you can effectively fix the tranny rather than replace the entire transmission?

Old August 28th, 2003, 07:15 PM   #5

My Tranny

'98 Accord 49,860 miles.Tranny died.If I had not bought a $700.00 extended warranty I would have had to pay it all.They charged them almost $800 just to install the transmission they were sent.A rebuild with 50,000 mile warranty.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 05:53 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Suhvas2001
Well I have a Problem 2 days ago my tranny died for a second time, The car would go up too 45mph with no problem but it wouldnt go past 45mph. They put this tranny in, in June of THIS YEAR so now it has only been 3 months and my tranny is messed up again.

The first time they told me they were not going to cover the tranny that i would have to ask AMERICAN HONDA if they would cover, American honda send a Rep. out and they said OK to warrenty the tranny. Now today i find out that my same Honda Dealership is refusing to cover the tranny under warrenty and they r making me call American Honda AGAIN, Now I have to wait 24-48 hours to here what they are going to do!

WHAT KINDA OF BS IS HONDA??????

10 switch AIR BAG SET KIT

DRY NOS KIT w/10GAL CHROME TANK
1 set-Street Glow underbody RED neon
2--6.4in AudioBahn tv

StreetGlow HID's 7000K
Street Glow Pro series Strobes

I also have MISC. streetglow neon the colors are RED and GReen so if theres anythign in these colors you r interested in email me
and i will see if i have it.
Suhvas2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 2nd, 2003, 06:36 PM   #7
Certified A-Hole!

Send a message via AIM to SS_Spheno Send a message via MSN to SS_Spheno
That's a bunch of crap.....lets sue for more $$ !!!!!!! Lol!
SS_Spheno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 2nd, 2003, 06:45 PM   #8
Dl20ccA is Acc0l2D backwards

Send a message via AIM to Dl20ccA
I got both my grandpa's odyssey (00) and my accord (01) with 50k miles fixed both for free. One in seattle, and the other (mine) down here in cerritos southern california. Just tell them
"yeah, my transmission is going bad, I need a new one since the honda transmissions are sort of known for going bad on a few of them."

Talk to them like you know somthing, or know more than they do, which is probably not that hard
Dl20ccA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 3rd, 2003, 12:40 AM   #9

Ya i have been doing it and they have no grounds to void my warrenty, Last time they changed tranny they gave me problem and now I havent even done anythign new or different to the car for the to refuse again. the car is exactly the same.

I think after i get the car back hopfully with new tranny, I will put my car FOR SALE. If i dont sell the car I will sell the parts and then I will just TRADE in

10 switch AIR BAG SET KIT

DRY NOS KIT w/10GAL CHROME TANK
1 set-Street Glow underbody RED neon
2--6.4in AudioBahn tv

StreetGlow HID's 7000K
Street Glow Pro series Strobes

I also have MISC. streetglow neon the colors are RED and GReen so if theres anythign in these colors you r interested in email me
and i will see if i have it.
Old September 7th, 2003, 08:06 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to VTEC_V6 Send a message via Yahoo to VTEC_V6
I don't what my option would be. I'm somewhere in between 2 & 3. So I guess I'm 2. I'm not really in a position to spend a large amount of money on my car so getting it because it's supposed to be better than the stock unit isn't really that important to me at this moment. I love my Accord and bought it with the intent to keep it for a long time. However with the known tranny issues;I may either have to get rid of the car, or fix any problems that may occur.

Right now my car still has an extended warranty on it. The only way I'd get the V6 Performance transmission at this point is if the tranny fails after my extended warranty, and I have the funds to aquire the V6P tranny. Or if I get the bug to increase the power levels of my car beyond what I think is reasonable for the stock unit. Which is unlikely right now, but that may change in the feature.

So I guess I'm undecided.
VTEC_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 8th, 2003, 04:37 PM   #11
newb car enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kkoch
is mine going?!

i started my car, got out, was talking to someone, got back in, pressed the brake...

I was about to shift to D4 when my TCS light comes on, my D4 starts blinking, and my check engine light comes on..

i tried to shift to D4 but the car wouldnt move.. i shut the car down and started it up again.. the check engine light stayed on, the TCS light went off and i was able to shift and go...

just wondering if this was some stupid fluke.. something minor gone wrong.. or my tranny going...

thanks for the help...

kkoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 8th, 2003, 05:46 PM   #12

If you haven't seen any jerking shifting previous to this, then it could be the alternator.
Old September 8th, 2003, 09:29 PM   #13
newb car enthusiast

ok.. i also forgot to say that ive been having problems like that.. my battery was acting like its dying...
i havent had any jerking or anything.. thats what really freaked me out..
so, im going to go with the assumption that its my alternator and take it in to my mechanic to figure out...

thank you very much!
Old September 9th, 2003, 07:42 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to VTEC_V6 Send a message via Yahoo to VTEC_V6
VTEC_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 9th, 2003, 10:24 PM   #15
newb car enthusiast

it wasnt off topic at all.. i had a question whether or not my transmission was going.. turns out it was another problem..

thank you eurotrash for your help, and VTEC_V6 for your patience.
Old September 10th, 2003, 02:56 PM   #16
Eating Bun Bo Hue yummmm

Symptoms:
- erratic shifting
- the car jerks, esp. when you blip the throttle
- the car shifts roughly from 1st to 2nd
- when shifting to D from P, R, or N- it takes longer than usual and jerks harder than normal
- tranny holds a gear for an unusually long time, followed by the some slippage when going into the next gear
- D4 light blinks randomly

i told honda my car is shifting hard from 1st to 2nd and sometimes other gears too and teh D4 light blinked and now it stopped when i brought it to honda.....the CEL did come on but they told me it was something else and not the tranny.....and when i drive....... if i let off the gas alittle then touch the gas again that car jerks pretty hard.....does this sound like my tranny failing??

Honda told me my tranny is perfect its shifting hard b/c my spirited drive and the tranny is just adjusting to my driving........sound like BS????
tkd_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 10th, 2003, 11:03 PM   #17

All these symptoms are just what other people here have posted before their tranny died. I personally don't have any tranny trouble yet- it jerks a bit now and then under hard acceleration, but that's it.
Old September 12th, 2003, 10:04 AM   #18

Will the tranny go without warning? The thing shifts like a dragged out between 1st and 2nd before it goes in. Is this the problem that many face? I just chnged the fluid and it seems better, I should do it again. Anyhow, I think I may get rid of the car because I got it used and it has 58,000 on it now. i may go for the 4 cyl new accord 2003. good prices now.
Chris 99
Old September 14th, 2003, 02:56 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to tasoulinh
tranny problems?

i had mine replaced at 48K for free, but concord honda had told me that it would be a rebuilt one, a couple of years later i applied at honda of oakland and the service guys there told me that american honda doesn't rebuild, just staight new bolt on. the techs i know that work there said 6th gen. accord auto trannys are replaced all day long. i currently have 80k and my tranny is goin again.. for me if it doesn't feel smooth like stock, it's not rite. another friend who still works at honda had his tranny replaced for free 3x's.. as far as you guys should be concerned if american honda can paying for it any honda service center will do it. if one is giving you bs, then go somewhere else. american honda is fitting the tab. i am surprised that a honda service center is giving you such bs, 'cause when your done, amer. honda will send you an evaluation survey, and the dealership wants the "A" pluses.. hope this helps.
tasoulinh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 19th, 2003, 12:15 AM   #20
Breakbeat Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to Forrest
i have 47k on my 02 accord, and the tranny has been slipping for quite some time now. when i told the dealership that my transmission was slipping and ****, they asked me if i did anything to my car, moderation wise. i told them i took out the seats and interior to soundproof it, they said that might have something to do with it. i said BS. but this 3 year warranty or 36k thing is that true? i have a 7 year 100k warranty. since my car is over that will they not replace it? and im skeptical about them putting a used tranny in there, is there anything i can do to make sure they dont? like mark it or something? im going to go like tomorrow or the next day so i wanna know what to say so i dont seem like the dip**** i am. any help would be DEEPLY appreciated.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 19th, 2003, 12:34 AM   #21

Well i got sick and tired of Honda and American Honda, they gave me one option. Take car to honda let them pull tranny out, let them OPEN tranny and then they will see who to blame ME or THEM. Problem with this idea is i am not a machanic so i wouldnt know if they were lieing to me just to blame me.
Also if were at fault I would have to pay 2,200$ for the removel and opening of tranny, then another over 2,000$ for another rebuilt tranny.
My dad said dont trust honda they r just gonna blame u and get the money. So we took the car to a 3rd party tranny shop and they have been woking on my tranny looks like the cause of my tranny going bad was a loose bearing SO IT WASNT MY FAULT.

But do u think Honda would say it wasnt my fault?
I been thinking maybe now i will take honda to small claims court.
Old September 19th, 2003, 01:41 AM   #22

well forrest, i was told by my honda service center to call american honda @ 800-999-1009, and tell them wat was going on w/ my tranny, i told them today and tried to explain that "i believed that the gears are slipping, going up hill, down hill, when i slow down and accellerate..etc.etc. then the guy on the phone said "i don't want to get your hopes up but amer. honda might not pick up the tab, they may go half w/ you or you might have to pay it all in full." i said that's fine, i figured if worse come to worse, i would have to go out of pocket anyways.. figured around $5500.. then he issued me a case no. and told me to go to a honda dealer (any) and have them check out the tranny (they would drive the car, or drive w/ you trying to recreate the problem), then your suppose to get the name of the service advisor and call amer. honda back using your case no. that you were first issued. and they'll handle it from there. but when they tested my car, they told me that they'll handle it from there. of course, i've got friends at the service center but, what i've learned is that they get paid either way, whether it is you or amer. honda.. it shouldn't make a difference to them (serv. center). think of it this way, it'll cost you about 5500 any way right? i figured if they we'ren't gonna pick it up, i would take that money and do a complete eng. swap w/ an h22. think about that, so i wouldn't even trip. if the serv. guy asks if you were racing, of course tell them no. they can assume that you were, flat out say no. watever you do.. warranty is "bumber to bumber" and it means exactly that.. if the service guy gives you lip, go somewhere else, and if you do, tell them about the worse cust. service experience u just had. tell amer. honda that to so they'll note it. they don't call it service center for nothing, seriously. oh, the new tranny is actually a rebuilt which is actually stronger then stock, not refurbished, unfortuently there is no new.. actually i don't remember if it was called "rebuilt" or re something.. i'm goin for my third tranny on my 98 4cyl. auto. w/ no extended warr. from honda. but they did extend it for all 99+. aint that a beezer? well, go luck.. i hope this helps.
Old September 19th, 2003, 02:58 AM   #23
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Ok just to get things straight. I have a Honda pamphlet I got from my dealership explaining in advertising detail on how Honda rebuilds there tranny's.

Trust me most of the time you will end up with a rebuilt tranny unless you are paying out of pocket for it and request a new one.

Mine was replaced around 57k miles under warranty. My new one is not as smooth as the day I got it but I really don't care. If it goes again I will have another one put in for free since I still have a 3 1/2 powertrain warranty on it. Thank you car for being a Certified Used Honda .

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 19th, 2003, 11:43 AM   #24
Breakbeat Aficionado

well you see, i dont have 5500$ to rebuild a tranny, let alone do an engine swap. i want my transmission rebuilt for free. its on my warranty, and i havent mistreated the tranny or the engine. but i havent had an oil change in like 3000 miles ( i know i know, i havent had the time nor money. its been a very busy month). and i know theyll tell me they cant do it because of some retarded reason, and im afraid theyll tell me that everywhere i go. **** i dont have any money to get it replaced, if it comes down to it, what can i do like write a letter to honda of america or something? **** if it comes down to it, i might jus have to get a new car. which i really dont wanna do. this sucks!
Old September 19th, 2003, 03:51 PM   #25
Breakbeat Aficionado

ok so i went and they said it was a faulty tranny, and that they would replace it, i have to pay a $50 deductible to my warranty company but they said i can drop it off on friday and have it by the end of the day. and theyd pay for a rental car. HELL YEA!
Old September 23rd, 2003, 08:51 AM   #26

the problem i am having is it slips every now and then. but occasionaly when i slow down and come to a complete stop the engine will continue to rev up and down bw 1-3,000 rpms and it is at the honda dealership right now.
is this my transmission, they said they think it is the main computer
is this true guys??????????
eckodlux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 1st, 2003, 11:20 AM   #27
. . exit faster slow poke!!!!

Send a message via AIM to teamtms
Quote:
Originally posted by Forrest on September 19th, 2003 at 05:51 PM

ok so i went and they said it was a faulty tranny, and that they would replace it, i have to pay a $50 deductible to my warranty company but they said i can drop it off on friday and have it by the end of the day. and theyd pay for a rental car. HELL YEA!
Were you still in ure warranty period, cuz im having a problem too and im at 50k miles and no extended warranty but I think if i can get it cheap here in NYC for my car i just might cuz I hear its like $700 wellz anyways I dont seem to be feeling sluggish but like from time to time the tranny does seem to lag a little or rev high just not a lot. Also I'm leaking transmission fluid too.... like the round unit belo and infront of the engine, it looks like the starter, not sure if it is but the seals around it seem to be soaked. I'm wondering if anyone knows if thats covered under warranty too? Cuz whenever I change my oil and im facing the bottom of the car to the left of me is all wet from some type of fluid and i believe it is tranny fluid. Any help????
Gen3 black Altezza Taillights
HID headlight bulbs
HID sidemarkers
Exhaust Taillights
Red stems
Red everything...
(nozzles, dome, etc.)
teamtms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 16th, 2003, 10:01 AM   #28
shhhhhhhhhhhh

Send a message via AIM to HondaHoney
I have tranny problems as well, but my 2000 Accord is over the 100,000 miles that they put on the extended warranty. I had taken it to the honda dealer before I hit the big 100,000 miles, but they couldn't reproduce the problem so they said they wouldn't fix it. I have most problems in reverse, all my car does is whine and there's no power at all...major slippage. I also have rough shifting sometimes from 1st to 2nd, mostly when I don't come to a complete stop and then go again. Honda told me that that was my computer searching for what gear to go into, and when it does, it has a lil kick. Is this all bs, and is there nothing I can do now since I'm over the 100,000 miles?
HondaHoney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 17th, 2003, 03:06 AM   #29

tranny problems?

yo, i just had my third tranny put in under warr. but i had to pay for labor which is not too bad.. um.. it doesn't matter how many miles it has, honda told you it was bs.. it is.. take it to another dealership..
Old October 17th, 2003, 03:18 AM   #30

tranny problems?

yo, i just had my third tranny put in under warr. but i had to pay for labor which is not too bad.. um.. it doesn't matter how many miles it has, wat honda told you it was bs.. it is.. take it to another dealership.. any dealership in the continental U.S. or take it back to the same dealership but have the mech. sit in the pass. seat.. and you drive.. to recreate the problem.. for h 99's and up there is a recall on the auto trannys but i have a 98(not covered) but they still covered it.. oh, check this out.. call amer. honda tell them wat the situation is and the terrible service your recieved at that service ctr. then they'll give you a ref. no. to take to the serv. ctr. and amer. honda will make the call to go 1 of 3 ways.. 1; they'll pay for it, 2; you'll go half and half, or 3; you'll pay for the whole thing.. but if amer. honda will p/up the tab.. it doesn't matter where you go.. 'cause the serv. ctr. will get paid by amer. honda. and if you have to pay for it yourself, then i would suggest a prelude swap 'cause it'll cost the same either way.. g'luck.. late.. let me know if you need anything else.. tasoulinh@aol.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.