J30 custom, J32A2, J35A* swap - Page 26 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2015, 09:23 AM   #751

I'm planning to build a '02-04 Odyssey block with J37A1 internals, and I have a question about the following information;

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02AV6 View Post
Option 1
With '01-02 complete MDX block or '02-04 Odyssey complete block (crank/rods/pistons) it is required to purchase 2005 Acura RL pistons (new set $50 each) This is a best option still since these pistons have clearance for large 36mm J32A2 (intake) valves thus no modification needed. Despite the fact they have higher 11.0:1 CR still even supercharger can be used here with low boost up to 7psi intercooled (assuming safe AFR). In addition, if 11:1 CR is too high for you, you can use '03 CL-S pistons with 10.5:1 CR.

Note: Odyssey pistons do not have clearance to fit large 36mm J32A2 (intake) valves. Solution - custom job to increase valve pockets.

BTW, The only advantage to get J32A2 block is due to better cylinder sleeves to withstand heat designed for higher redline vehicle, otherwise depending on the price Odyssey or MDX block are the best bet.
The J35A4 in the '02-04 Odyssey uses FRM sleeves, and I've heard it's not a good idea to run forged pistons in them. So, are the '05 RL pistons forged? What OEM 89mm pistons would be suitable to use in the FRM sleeved J35A4 block? I plan to use the J37A1 heads, I believe the intake valves are 36mm. Is there any other reason why I couldn't run the J35A4 block with J37A1 crank/rods and heads?

Thanks for your help!
jakeordie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2015, 02:40 PM   #752
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T

this section is pretty dead...you may or may not get some more answers.....
I'm not an expert but can shed some light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeordie View Post
The J35A4 in the '02-04 Odyssey uses FRM sleeves, and I've heard it's not a good idea to run forged pistons in them.

not sure here. from what I read, the older blocks with FRM would have problems...because Honda was still trying to get the formula right?

However, they still use FRM sleeves with Forged internals on their engines. Don't have a definite answer here for you.

** If you can find a J32A2 block, those sleeves are steel. Acura may still have some of those in stock. Other than that it, look in your junk yards, etc.

Quote:
So, are the '05 RL pistons forged?
No sir. They are cast

Quote:
What OEM 89mm pistons would be suitable to use in the FRM sleeved J35A4 block?
J32A2 pistons from an 03 Cl-s

J35A3/A4 from a Honda pilot, oddy respectively. Don't know the years right off...

2005 Acura RL pistons --> I run these in my J35A3.

Quote:
I plan to use the J37A1 heads, I believe the intake valves are 36mm. Is there any other reason why I couldn't run the J35A4 block with J37A1 crank/rods and heads?
I'm pretty sure, that is going to require some modification.

I may be wrong here, but the water and oil jackets are different on those J37A1 heads and will not line up on the J35A3/A4 block. May also need to do some modification for the timing gears and other stuff?

I think that J37A1 crankshaft may be "shorter" than the J35A3/A4crankshaft. A spacer would need to be machined, if possible??

may even have different type sensors in those heads...??

** We do know for a fact that the 36mm intake valves on a J32A2 head WILL clear the pistons on a J35A3/A4. It has been proven in a real world build by Moneypit.
WHEEELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 13th, 2015, 03:16 PM   #753

Hi. J32a2 and j32a3 are the same?
sasa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 13th, 2015, 03:32 PM   #754
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasa View Post
Hi. J32a2 and j32a3 are the same?

No.

Different sensors, heads (including most of the valve train, if not all of it), crankshaft, Throttle Body...maybe some other stuff also.
Old July 13th, 2015, 09:36 PM   #755
The Jester

Wheel any chance those j32a2 headers bolt up to our j pipes? Or anything im forgetting that says it doesnt?
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2015, 04:28 AM   #756

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHEEELMAN View Post
No.

Different sensors, heads (including most of the valve train, if not all of it), crankshaft, Throttle Body...maybe some other stuff also.
I have j30a4 and want buy only j32a2 block and heads. And use it with j37 crank to build j36 enjine.
And i want to know. j32a2 block and j32a3 are the same or not. beacause in Russia i cant find j32a3 block only j32a2
Old July 15th, 2015, 04:10 PM   #757
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclem19 View Post
Wheel any chance those j32a2 headers bolt up to our j pipes? Or anything im forgetting that says it doesnt?

No, they will not bolt right up.
Old July 15th, 2015, 04:13 PM   #758
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasa View Post
I have j30a4 and want buy only j32a2 block and heads. And use it with j37 crank to build j36 enjine.
And i want to know. j32a2 block and j32a3 are the same or not. beacause in Russia i cant find j32a3 block only j32a2

If you are using a 03 or later Accord, then I don't know if the J32A2 block will line up with the engine mounts in your 7th gen Accord.

I think you could get the J36 (Stroked J32A2) working in your 7th gen Accord, but the wiring/re-pinning may be a pain in the ass.
Old July 16th, 2015, 11:44 AM   #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHEEELMAN View Post
If you are using a 03 or later Accord, then I don't know if the J32A2 block will line up with the engine mounts in your 7th gen Accord.

I think you could get the J36 (Stroked J32A2) working in your 7th gen Accord, but the wiring/re-pinning may be a pain in the ass.
Ok) I understand. Thank you)
Old July 21st, 2015, 08:43 AM   #760

This is all intereting
mbelliveau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 21st, 2015, 08:55 AM   #761

15/15 posts. now I can PM
mbelliveau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 21st, 2015, 09:17 AM   #762

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelliveau View Post
15/15 posts. now I can PM
Good, now stop spamming the damn site!!!

NA.... Till I Spray
accord325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 24th, 2015, 01:14 AM   #763

I have a 4 cylinder automatic 2000 Honda Accord, I'm thinking about doing a J32A2 engine swap. I know how to do some simple stuff like bolt-ons and suspension and brakes. But I think this job I had to pay someone professional to do it. For the people who have done it, how much did it cost in hardware (engine, transmission, ECU, engine mounts, and all other necessary hardware) and labor? I'm thinking maybe $5-6k for this, is this realistic or am I underestimating the cost? Thanks.
inspirecg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 24th, 2015, 10:44 AM   #764
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspirecg1 View Post
I have a 4 cylinder automatic 2000 Honda Accord, I'm thinking about doing a J32A2 engine swap. I know how to do some simple stuff like bolt-ons and suspension and brakes. But I think this job I had to pay someone professional to do it. For the people who have done it, how much did it cost in hardware (engine, transmission, ECU, engine mounts, and all other necessary hardware) and labor? I'm thinking maybe $5-6k for this, is this realistic or am I underestimating the cost? Thanks.

You have the wrong platform to start with. Some of the accessories are on the opposite side on your 4 cylinder model versus the V6 model. Going from a 4 cylinder to V6 is TONS of work.

You would at least need to change the following, if not more....

Front Subframe

All front suspension components

Fuse box? not sure if the electrical is the same
also, there is another small electrical box beside the big fuse box. I don't know what that is but it's on the V6 model so you may need that.

ABS module - if you want ABS, you will need to fabricate new ABS lines as well as swap the rear I4 Drum brakes to Disc

Radiator itself; the hose outlets are in different areas on each radiator & Overfill tube is routed opposite way.

Cruise control module - if you want this yes you need to relocate this component, but you could go without this one.

V6 CV Axles

Air Box/Intake : not sure if this would mount up on the I4 engine bay. There may not be any mounting holes in the spots you need. The mounting holes you need may need to be made and a holes cut into metal to route the air intake tubing.

Brake booster and reservoir seem to be in the same spot, so you may be lucky here. But, I don't know if they are the same part? but you got the V6 donor.

You may need the splash guard from the V6 car too> not sure if this is the same or if it would mount up. Again you may need to make your own mounting holes?

You will need the V6 cluster, as the water temp sender in the cluster?(not sure on this term) is different versus the I4 cluster.

Gear shift.
There is a reverse gear lockout feature in the shifter, the wiring may or may not be the same in each car. Wiring issue may pop up on this one.

You will need to have the I4 key re-coded by a Honda dealer to match the immobilizer chip in the V6 ECU.
inspirecg1 likes this.
Old October 24th, 2015, 06:52 PM   #765

Thanks for the detailed reply. Looks like I might not want to start with my car or maybe build the engine for turbo instead. I can see some of the stuff I might be able to side step, for example I could do without ABS, I could learn threshold braking. I never use cruise control on my car even on long drives, I just don't trust it, so that can be removed. Air Box/Intake, would an aftermarket short ram fit? If so, I'll probably go with that. But all the other issues seems like it'll cost a lot of money, especially the front subframe and all suspension components. So I'll really have to price this out and see if it's worth doing.
Old October 24th, 2015, 07:35 PM   #766

Your best bet would be to buy mine. I,m selling right now. $7,200. I,m the original owner. Give me your email & I can send you over the info. j32a2 swap w/ CT s/c 8-9psi & ALL of the goodies & supports that go along w/ it. 312whp, 310wtq. Tuned on 93 octane. Full interior daily driver! No accidents. Its posted in the cars for sale section on this site w/ details alsobc33948@aol.com, 941-740-0255 Brad

Last edited by Lumpy; October 24th, 2015 at 08:06 PM..
Lumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 29th, 2015, 01:36 AM   #767

Unfortunately I'm in Nevada, I'm pretty far from you. I don't feel comfortable buying cars without actually looking at the car. Sorry.
Old October 29th, 2015, 07:39 PM   #768

Yeah, don't blame you. Just thought you could sell yours for $3000, then buy mine & skip everything & all the cost in between. Although doing it yourself is half the fun. But you wouldn't have to shell out $15000 in aftermarket goodies to get here, lol
Lumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 3rd, 2016, 04:04 PM   #769

Ok So i have a 2000 coupe with the j30a1 that i bought a year ago (only put on about 2500 miles). The person i bought it from had the head gaskets timing belt and water pump replaced. at about 4k rpm the timing belt idle bearing bolt was lost and you can all guess the result. Lucky enough there is no piston damage and seems i have only mildly bent the exhaust valves on cyl 1,2,3,4. The question then comes up do i go ahead and to a full motor swap or swap the heads. Im not looking to Get huge numbers by any means however i would like a little more pep.
blade1123` is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 3rd, 2017, 08:43 AM   #770

J35A4...i know the piston change is required when changing geads, but would just putting type-s cams in the j35 heads require the piston change? And also i have searched and searched but whats the J35A4 stock throttle body sixe vs the TL-s from 2002? I believe the TL-S TB is 66mm
Sprofita1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 4th, 2017, 02:25 PM   #771
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprofita1 View Post
J35A4...i know the piston change is required when changing geads, but would just putting type-s cams in the j35 heads require the piston change? And also i have searched and searched but whats the J35A4 stock throttle body sixe vs the TL-s from 2002? I believe the TL-S TB is 66mm
Both throttle bodies are 64mm

Which heads are you putting on the J35A4?

Last edited by WHEEELMAN; January 7th, 2017 at 10:02 AM..
Old February 18th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #772

Can I use the same harness

Good day am new the site and after doing some internet search I found the conversation you had with a gentleman explaining how to use the J35A4/honda Odyssey heads on his J30A1 V6 accord to get some hp gains... I also have this problem (needing more power) and I wanted to know if I get the heads like you suggested and blot them to my J30A1 block can I use or connect those heads and intake manifold to my existing J30A1 wire harness or is it that when I get the heads I also have to get a wire harness and ecu from the donor vehicle. My first choice was to buy a turbo kit from ebay and also a transmission shift kit with a LSD kit to install in the differential and hope to get a modest upgrade of 90hp and at least 80ft.lb of torque but I like to be a lil different and wouldn't mind boasting my upgraded engine.

Last edited by 242 bahamas; February 18th, 2017 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Misprinted words
242 bahamas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 18th, 2017, 02:54 PM   #773

Good day again. I have to make a change in the last message I posted... I too have a 2002 honda accord V6 and also would like to do a engine swap... am looking at using a J35A4 block and J32A2 heads... my question since am a DIY guy will I have to change my engine wire harness to match any new sensor connections on the J32A2 heads? If I don't have to change the harness will I have to change my ecu then. Or is it that I can use my same 3.0L harness and ecu to run my new engine and block combo...?
Old February 18th, 2017, 05:10 PM   #774
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242 bahamas View Post
Good day again. I have to make a change in the last message I posted... I too have a 2002 honda accord V6 and also would like to do a engine swap... am looking at using a J35A4 block and J32A2 heads... my question since am a DIY guy will I have to change my engine wire harness to match any new sensor connections on the J32A2 heads? If I don't have to change the harness will I have to change my ecu then. Or is it that I can use my same 3.0L harness and ecu to run my new engine and block combo...?

If you swap in a J35A4, you need to use the ECU and engine wire harness to go with it. That ECU is programmed to run a 5 Speed automatic transmission, and it has a knock sensor too. The 4 speed auto ECU does not have the knock sensor.

I don't think that J35A4 ECU will run your 4 Speed automatic transmission.
So...You would also need to swap in the 5 speed automatic transmission.

Keep in mind I did not do this swap myself. I paid someone else to do it so I am just repeating some of the information that I am aware/remember.

There is some wiring stuff you might need to do. I do know reverse lockout and the temperature gauge are 2 items that need to be wired/repinned in order to work. Might be some other items also.

You will throw Error codes with that swap. CEL and TCS lights will be on. so if you have emissions testing you ain't gonna pass unless you pay the person to pass you.
Old February 18th, 2017, 09:50 PM   #775

Ok thanks... I just threw that out there because I was reading the very first set of post where 02AV6 posted that, that particular combo made great power... he never said the tranny and wire harness will have to be done as well... so in general I may just have to do a head swap to the J32A2 and intake setup then... if it means I don't have to change out my tranny as well... beacuse I already bought a shift kit and LSD to be installed into my four speed tranny and would hate to see it go to waste... so I terms of swapping just heads and intake only you guys are saying that I would need to purchase the wire harness for the tl-s and ecu since am using the TL-S heads...
Old February 19th, 2017, 06:29 AM   #776
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T

Quote:
.....so I terms of swapping just heads and intake only you guys are saying that I would need to purchase the wire harness for the tl-s and ecu since am using the TL-S heads...

No.
If you are only swapping the J32A2, J35A3 or J35A4 Top End onto your J30A1 Low End(Short Block) you do not need to change the engine wire harness and ECU.

Note: you will use the J30A1 head gaskets.

See my thread for addt'l info here:
J30/J35 - Paul Smalser top end swap
Old February 19th, 2017, 03:38 PM   #777

Thanks wheel man... but give me a DIY kinna guy the best head swap on my J30A1 block... am going to buy a turbo kit on ebay and hopefully use no more than 12-15psi... should I go with the high reving J32A2 heads or the torque monster J35A3/4 heads... I live in the bahamas so our roads are short... we have a dragstrip that was recently but a usa dragstrip designer but for my daily driving we barely have 800ft corners and our main roads could be 2 miles at best of 2 lane traffic... I love the fact of high reving tire screaming drives but having that torque is a plus. Am not build a dragster but I want to get the grocery store faster to get back to watch the basketball games... any thoughts. I already have the tranny shift kit and LSD kit for my 4 speed... I already order a new set of J30A1 pistons but am searching for forged rods can you point me in the right direction.
Old February 19th, 2017, 04:41 PM   #778
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T

Quote:
Thanks wheel man... but give me a DIY kinna guy the best head swap on my J30A1 block... am going to buy a turbo kit on ebay and hopefully use no more than 12-15psi... should I go with the high reving J32A2 heads or the torque monster J35A3/4 heads... I live in the bahamas so our roads are short... we have a dragstrip that was recently but a usa dragstrip designer but for my daily driving we barely have 800ft corners and our main roads could be 2 miles at best of 2 lane traffic... I love the fact of high reving tire screaming drives but having that torque is a plus. Am not build a dragster but I want to get the grocery store faster to get back to watch the basketball games... any thoughts. I already have the tranny shift kit and LSD kit for my 4 speed... I already order a new set of J30A1 pistons but am searching for forged rods can you point me in the right direction.

Connecting Rods:
Honda Accord Acura CL - J30A Rods - Pauter

Either head will work about the same. We don't have any FlowBench data to show if either head is any better, it is all theory. Both heads are the same casting internally. The only difference is the Intake Valve on the J32A2 heads which is 36mm vs 35mm on the J35A3/A4 heads.
Old February 19th, 2017, 05:50 PM   #779

Ok cool... I ask these question because over here even thou we have machine shops that do head repair I haven't seen any one do a piston valve clearance enlargement successfully. So this is why I just wanted to get a simple head swap option that doesn't require to much specialized machine work done to it...as well as ecu and harness swapping. When I come over the the U.S this summer I'll look around for a J35A4 head and intake manifold setup and use your step by step installation method, then install the turbo and run it for a month at just 8psi and slowly dial it up to 15 psi after continuing monition the all my sensors... when am in south Florida does anyone knows a good performance shop between the area of Miami and fort Lauderdale. .. this will be the general area where am staying?
Old February 20th, 2017, 05:18 AM   #780

Ok I didn't think this ture about the turbo part... since am swapping the heads off a J35A3/4 onto my J30A1 block... the question should I be looking for a J30A1 turbo kit thats if the headers can fit on the J35A heads or is it that I have to look for a specific vehicle to get the turbo kit on ebay... I know mostly the J35A is used in the odyssey van.... buy doing a search for anything for a J35A3/4 or honda Odyssey turbo kit and coming up blank on ebay... P.S help me..... shouting for HELP....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.