Any additives/cleaners worth it for better performance, mileage, etc? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2003, 07:59 PM   #1
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

Send a message via AIM to Loulax07
Any additives/cleaners worth it for better performance, mileage, etc?

I just wanna know, b/c i've seen many in auto stores, what additives really are worth it for mileage and performance.....
i am talking easy stuff too, not like Seafoam which you need to step thru a whole process. i mean cleaners, fuel additives, etc.....
lemme know
thanx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 Accord EX V6 Coupe - Nighthawk Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Loulax07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2003, 08:38 PM   #2
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

anything else? lookin for a fuel additive maybe that i can add twice a year or so to clean the engine
Old June 27th, 2003, 08:52 PM   #3
Senior Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Blazin036
sea foam stp air/throttle body cleaner stp fuel injector cleaner
Blazin036 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 27th, 2003, 10:23 PM   #4
bouncing rebel

Air filter cleaners help too. I just cleaned out my AEM SR filter and noticed a small performance boost and the intake got a little louder. If your filter is old like mine, I'd reccomend cleaning it.
rebelzx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 27th, 2003, 10:30 PM   #5
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Is Amsoil that good?

I have used STP Complete fuel cleaner and have noticed better MPG and a bit more performance. But is Amsoil that much better?

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 27th, 2003, 10:35 PM   #6
Senior Moderhater

Send a message via AIM to abram2001
lou try chevron techron, I really like that one.
abram2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 27th, 2003, 10:41 PM   #7
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by abram2001 on June 28th, 2003 at 12:35 AM

lou try chevron techron, I really like that one.
It does help but it's not enough if your engine has been neglected for 10's of thousands of miles. Only if your car is new then Chevron gas would be the only thing you would need.

Trust me an additive for older engines/cars is almost recommended.

But which is the best additive?
Old June 27th, 2003, 10:44 PM   #8
Senior Moderhater

Chevron Techron (its a fuel cleaner)

"Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner is unbeatable in cleaning the entire fuel system and restoring lost power and performance caused by deposit build-up. Cleans deposits from fuel injectors, carburetors, ports, valves and combustion chambers. Works in one tankful while you drive to reduce deposit related engine knock, ping, run-on, and cold start problems. Recommended for use every 3,000 miles. One bottle treats up to 12 gallons"

Old June 27th, 2003, 10:48 PM   #9
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by abram2001 on June 28th, 2003 at 12:44 AM

Chevron Techron (its a fuel cleaner)

I had no idea they made this. I thought you were talking about the gas .

But it's only up to a 12 gallon tank. Would I need two of these to work in my car?
Old June 27th, 2003, 10:48 PM   #10
BANNED BANNED

yea, im just like plumaccordcoupe. I use stp as well. But there are TONS of different companies making this stuff. Like for example, Valvoline has a new complete fuel system cleaner which has synthetics fpr "better cleaning". I use stp gas treatment, stp fuel injector cleaner, and outlaw octane booster. I might try that valvoline things soon though. And some people say this stuff is bad for the sensors, cat converter, and other stuff (BULL!) only the ones pulled of the shelf like zmax and slick50 are bad. This stuff keeps your engine healthy, like Vitamins.
ViS GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 27th, 2003, 10:50 PM   #11
Senior Moderhater

believe me try the chevron techron, and I think you will like it. They also have a jumbo sized one.
Old June 27th, 2003, 10:54 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Sam Lin
No. Save your money.

Sam
Sam Lin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 27th, 2003, 10:54 PM   #13
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by abram2001 on June 28th, 2003 at 12:50 AM

believe me try the chevron techron, and I think you will like it. They also have a jumbo sized one.
Thanks

I just hope that jumbo sized one is not just for SUV's . I just used STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner so I will have to wait 4000 miles (how long STP lasts according to bottle) before I use something else.

But is Amsoil better? And yes that will require someone besides Abram2001 to answer this .
Old June 27th, 2003, 11:50 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to J30A02
i would not use any addictive products...they just aren't worth it. you may notice performance increase....but at what cost to your motor
2005 Classic Silver Metallic ES330
J30A02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 28th, 2003, 12:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam Lin on June 27th, 2003 at 09:54 PM

No. Save your money.

Sam
Anything you would recomend?

B&M Transmission Coolers, Magnefine in-line filter

Gadgets:
Smartire GenII (Tire Pressure Monitor System), Gentex Auto Dim Mirror w/Outside Temp & Compass Model 50-GENK20 Clifford AG4 Alarm
Crestgel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 28th, 2003, 10:02 AM   #16

Crestgel, every 50k (yes, fiftyK) miles right BEFORE an oil change I will do a bottle of Techron. It's likely useless, as modern gas has so many detergents and is so well blended that fuel system deposits simply don't happen any more.

At 100k I would think about doing a decarb, through a process a little more involved than the simple "suck SeaFoam into intake" idea. Pull the plugs, fill each cylinder with GM Top Engine Cleaner, wait 12 hours, crank the engine over with rags in the spark tubes to blow out most of the cleaner, replace plugs, run, watch it smoke like crazy, then DO AN OIL CHANGE before even driving it.

Lumpy, if you ever get your oil analyzed, I'm willing to bet your running a filter 10-12k miles has done irreversible permanent damage to your bearings. Regardless of oil, filter MUST be changed every 3k, otherwise after it clogs, it goes into full bypass (bypass valve always open) so it doesn't filter any more.

Sam
Old June 28th, 2003, 04:12 PM   #17
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

well, after all this, i decided on the Chevron Techron, and will be putting it in when my tank is nearly empty.....
i'll let u guys know how it turns out........
thanx again guys!

2002 Accord EX V6 Coupe - Nighthawk Black

Old June 28th, 2003, 04:17 PM   #18
Senior Moderhater

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam Lin on June 28th, 2003 at 09:02 AM

Crestgel, every 50k (yes, fiftyK) miles right BEFORE an oil change I will do a bottle of Techron. It's likely useless, as modern gas has so many detergents and is so well blended that fuel system deposits simply don't happen any more.

At 100k I would think about doing a decarb, through a process a little more involved than the simple "suck SeaFoam into intake" idea. Pull the plugs, fill each cylinder with GM Top Engine Cleaner, wait 12 hours, crank the engine over with rags in the spark tubes to blow out most of the cleaner, replace plugs, run, watch it smoke like crazy, then DO AN OIL CHANGE before even driving it.

Lumpy, if you ever get your oil analyzed, I'm willing to bet your running a filter 10-12k miles has done irreversible permanent damage to your bearings. Regardless of oil, filter MUST be changed every 3k, otherwise after it clogs, it goes into full bypass (bypass valve always open) so it doesn't filter any more.

Sam

I agree on all this except one fact.......

Although most gasolines have detergents already mixed in, when a new shipment of fuel comes in, it mixes and kicks up all the sediments that was on the floor of the underground reservoir. It takes some time for the sediment to sink to the bottom. If you are at a gas station and notice a fuel tanker/truck filling the gas station up, I suggest you run. I had a bad experience, and learned my lesson. You really dont need to clean out ur injectors always, but I dont see any harm in doing so either. Its a good preventive maintenance. I always use a bottle at every oil change.
Old June 28th, 2003, 10:45 PM   #19

abram2001, fuel injector cleaner will do NOTHING against sediment. That never gets to the injectors, and the ONLY way to clear it is to change the fuel filter.

Sam
Old June 28th, 2003, 10:47 PM   #20

Lumpy, AMSoil is excellent oil! However, if you read their info, even at 100% more capacity than "other" filters, that'd mean 6k miles. Something doesn't jive in their marketing drivel.

Regardless, it's your engine, do as you'd like. I recommend against it.

Sam
Old June 28th, 2003, 11:10 PM   #21
Senior Moderhater

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam Lin on June 28th, 2003 at 09:45 PM

abram2001, fuel injector cleaner will do NOTHING against sediment. That never gets to the injectors, and the ONLY way to clear it is to change the fuel filter.

Sam

lol, who said anything about sediments getting into the fuel injector, all I said is if anyone sees the truck at the gas station, then run.

But still, some thick hydro carbons will seep through a fiter, they are not 100% perfect, and in time will clog the injector ball and plunger.

Its better to be safe than sorry.
Old June 29th, 2003, 03:37 AM   #22

You want to tell me how a thick hydrocarbon is going to stay a distinct separate entity from thinner hydrocarbon solvents surrounding it? Add the fact that injector pressure is 30+ psi in fluid, and there's no way for injectors to ever clog with modern gas. Do what you will - it's your money. The pictures of a "clogged injector spray pattern" on all the TV ads are complete bull, a situation like that simply doesn't exist.

Sam
Old June 29th, 2003, 05:07 PM   #23
Senior Moderhater

hmmm, good point sam. I will take what you said and do some research, you make a good point.

Old June 29th, 2003, 09:32 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to LaccordK
Quote:
Originally posted by Sam Lin on June 29th, 2003 at 05:37 AM

You want to tell me how a thick hydrocarbon is going to stay a distinct separate entity from thinner hydrocarbon solvents surrounding it? Add the fact that injector pressure is 30+ psi in fluid, and there's no way for injectors to ever clog with modern gas. Do what you will - it's your money. The pictures of a "clogged injector spray pattern" on all the TV ads are complete bull, a situation like that simply doesn't exist.

Sam
i agree 100% with sam
also notice that we don have to change the fuel filter(its built inside the fuel tank), what does that tell you? simply that now days car makers know how much of purification fuel goes through.
therefore no need to worry about clogged fuel injector.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lumpy
...I only change my oil every 20-25,000 miles...
if you are seriously doing this than good luck with your car bro

Kartboy SS+Bushings
LaccordK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2003, 09:47 PM   #25
Chicago Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Bbc84 Send a message via AIM to Bbc84
I used something made by CD2.

i chose the one that was NOT STREET LEGAL. because it came in a hot orange color bottle and anything NOT STREET LEGAL had to be badass.

It had some kind of chemical MMT, dont know what it is but thats what makes it illegal for street use. Still used it anyways, car stopped vibrating/shaking steering wheel, lot smoother as well. But its 5-6 bucks a bottle, something i dont have money for.

Im going to do some Sea Foam at 50k miles.
Bbc84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 30th, 2003, 12:01 AM   #26
Titanium Member

Engine additives aren't recommended by Honda but fuel system cleaners and intake/throttle body cleaners are not in that category.

From my experience, the fuel system cleaner helps some but not a whole lot. If you use gas consistently from one gas station (that's reputable) or that same brand, then you shouldn't have problems clogging your injectors or coating your valves. What you have to worry is when you use questionable gas and get a bad tank of gas. I use Chevron Techron as well. But I wouldn't use it every oil change as they recommend. If the fuel system cleaner is strong enough, it can wear out the metal sooner if there weren't enough deposits to clean in the first place. Maybe once every 3 years? I don't know.

Intake/TB cleaners are pretty useful if you notice that your engine has some lag in acceleration. It could be due to your plugs but also that your throttle isn't as responding as crisp and immediate as your right foot is telling it to. But the interval for intake cleaner is questionable. I haven't done it yet on my ~37K mile engine but I will soon. I did it on my sister's 98 Civic with 75K miles and boy a lot of smoke came out. The throttle response was of course much more immediate. I used Gumout brand but they don't sell these anymore. Anyone know why?
showgunz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 30th, 2003, 07:23 PM   #27

Send a message via AIM to coo69foo
i havent used n e ting in my 2 accords that i own...
i have 00 ex sedan wit 47 thousand miles but i only fill up chevron or 76's... an never had a problem wit the car an it still runs strong

an on my 02 ex5speed.. 13,500 miles.. an it still goes perfectly fine... i only fill up chevron or 76 once or twice i have put in alil of shell but thats it...
coo69foo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 30th, 2003, 08:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally posted by showgunz on June 30th, 2003 at 12:01 AM

If you use gas consistently from one gas station (that's reputable) or that same brand, then you shouldn't have problems clogging your injectors or coating your valves.
This is the WORST thing you can do, you want to fill up from different gas stations and different brands, because not every gas company's detergent blend is the same, so deposits that one brand of gas may not totally clean up will be cleaned up by another brand.

I NEVER fill up twice in a row from the same place.

Sam
Old July 2nd, 2003, 11:34 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to JDMV6ACCORD
watttttttt thas crazy...

i juss look fo the cheapest gas. (ARCO)

I WANT A TACOMA
JDMV6ACCORD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 5th, 2003, 10:27 PM   #30
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam Lin on June 29th, 2003 at 05:37 AM

Sam
This is a very good point sam . Bu this doesn't explain how I gradually got better MPG after using STP complete. My car had over 50,000 miles on it when I started to use this.

Your going to have to give me more info to convince me your point is correct .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.