CL throttle body? - Page 2 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #31
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to whtonblkv6
But then again as NVA-AV6 mentioned earlier, a bigger TB can only do so much when you're head doesn't flow.

The A1 head has relatively small intake valves which means that despite a larger throttle body the valves will only allow "x" amount of air to be introduced into the cylinders. So, the weak link of the AV6 isn't neccesarily the throttle body, but the small valves.

I would imagine that you'd only see a very small increase in throttle response and high RPM horsepower, maybe 2 or 3. Someone correct me, if I'm mistaken.
whtonblkv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2008, 12:50 AM   #32
4.0L

you should also bore out the IM inlet...otherwise the bigger TB isn't doing much...since the air is going through the same small opening in the IM as before.
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:36 AM   #33

Send a message via AIM to Accord_V6_400m
Well we know t fits for sure. I just tried on the J30 SC elbow on the J32 IM and its all go. Theres a drastic diference in intake valve size.
Qucik comparo:
J30A1: 30mm
J30A4: 35mm
J32A2: 36mm

Most Honda V6's are using 36mm now if notat least 35mm, so as you can see not much hope there
Accord_V6_400m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:54 AM   #34
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

^J35A4: 35mm

Now a good upgrade to the J30A1 would be to get a pair of J35A4 heads, intake runner, IM and TB from a 03-04 pilot or oddy, these ar common and relitivly cheap compared to J32A2 componets, and the J35 IM does not have the butterflies to have to deal with, this would then greatly increase the breathing of the J30A1. Then if you wanted to you could add a set of CL-S cams.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 25th, 2008, 05:01 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6 View Post

Now a good upgrade to the J30A1 would be to get a pair of J35A4 heads, intake runner, IM and TB from a 03-04 pilot or oddy, these ar common and relitivly cheap compared to J32A2 componets, and the J35 IM does not have the butterflies to have to deal with, this would then greatly increase the breathing of the J30A1. Then if you wanted to you could add a set of CL-S cams.
Kind of makes you want to get a new car
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #36
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to whtonblkv6
I'm kind of hoping my J30A1 takes a $hit on me so I can have an excuse to do a full J32A2 swap and a Dr. Evil 5AT transmission. I think 260hp in a car as light as the AV6 will feel pretty good, eh Nick? lol

Just to answer the question before it's asked, I'd rather have an automatic tranny as this is my daily, I'm trying to pick up a rolling chassis 3rd gen RX-7, so that will be my speed machine.
whtonblkv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #37
Metal Shop, NJ

Quote:

How cheap we talking, and what kinda power? i just put cl-s cams in my heads =P

so your saying
Heads J35A4
Full intake, rail and pres from j35a4

And my j32a2 cams will fit?

What the hell kinda power is that going to produce?!
I might even consider doing this for the hell of it,
Any problems or work arounds required?
HondaTech1146 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #38
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaTech1146 View Post
How cheap we talking, and what kinda power? i just put cl-s cams in my heads =P

so your saying
Heads J35A4
Full intake, rail and pres from j35a4

And my j32a2 cams will fit?

What the hell kinda power is that going to produce?!
I might even consider doing this for the hell of it,
Any problems or work arounds required?
Should not be any problems and yes you CL-S cams will fit and no you do not need the fuel rails, just the heads, runners, IM and TB, the rest you can use strights from the AV6. I would re-grind that valves in and use a J35A4 head gasket set, the J30A1 intake/head gaskets will not work, the intake ports are much bigger on the A4 parts. AS far as power it should bring you up alot closer to J30A4, but it will still be a little less due to the 9:1 copression vs the J30A4 10:1, but with I/H/E should get you close to 200WHP, and yes the J30A1 headers and exhaust should work.
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:11 AM   #39
Metal Shop, NJ

Quote:
Should not be any problems and yes you CL-S cams will fit and no you do not need the fuel rails, just the heads, runners, IM and TB, the rest you can use strights from the AV6. I would re-grind that valves in and use a J35A4 head gasket set, the J30A1 intake/head gaskets will not work, the intake ports are much bigger on the A4 parts. AS far as power it should bring you up alot closer to J30A4, but it will still be a little less due to the 9:1 copression vs the J30A4 10:1, but with I/H/E should get you close to 200WHP, and yes the J30A1 headers and exhaust should work.
No valve to piston greetings?
HondaTech1146 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:35 AM   #40
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

^No, especially with the low compression of the J30A1. Hell if you have some time when you do it, clay it to see the exact clearence and if the heads can be milled to bring the compression up.
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #41
4.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtonblkv6 View Post
I'm kind of hoping my J30A1 takes a $hit on me so I can have an excuse to do a full J32A2 swap and a Dr. Evil 5AT transmission.

i don't think there's a 5AT from Dr. Evil...is there?
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #42
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Yup, $4200 was what I was quoted 6 mths ago.
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #43

Quote:
Yup, $4200 was what I was quoted 6 mths ago.
A price that high would have me looking at a 6spd swap with an electron microscope
Old February 28th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #44
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Exactly why I decided to go the 6sp route.
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #45

In Regards To The Benefits Of A Larger Throttle Body With Stock Size Heads And Intake- There Is A Benefit( But You Still Have To Port Match The
Opening( Outlet ) Of Throttle Body To Manifold Port To Remove The "step " Difference Between The Two- The Increase In Hp And Torque Will Be In The Midrange And Top End Because The Throttle Plate Still Determines How Much Airflow Your Allowing In- And Valves Still The Same- Bottom Line- You Are Reducing A Restriction( Just Like Exhaust Flow With A Catback ) Only In Reverse. Question Is: Calibration Of Sensors- Any Differences Are Hopefully Within Parameters And Are Self Adjusting. PS. I have an 02 coupe and I am going to do it also...( i work in the automotive field ( wholesale and retail automotive parts incl machine shop )

Last edited by SILVER3.0BULLIT; March 14th, 2008 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: omitted info by accident
SILVER3.0BULLIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 18th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #46

Cool Cl & Cls Throttle Body Vs Accord V6 Tb

I have been reading the forums recently for more information on this issue, and this is what I have found: cl/tl type s throttle body is larger than regular cl/tl. regular cl/tl t body is larger than accord v6- ( I spoke with p2r racing in fla) so the
best gains are going to a cl-type s( without boring out- the upper intake and ports are the next limiting factor in making power. if you get the reg cl/tl t body, then have it bored to be as large as type s. if you get your accord t body bored, it will never be as big as cl/tl type s( without making walls too thin and weak.)( besides- they can only remove so much material, so you might as well start with a larger unit, and improve on that one.( but remember to port match the opening- outlet of t body to upper manifold opening - with a dremel tool, being careful to block opening with a clean rag to avoid debris from entering engine.) there should be no step between t-body to manifold transition, to avoid turbulence. (use the gasket as a template for a guide.) hope this helps.
SILVER3.0BULLIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #47
***POSSIBLE FRAUDULENT SELLER***

Send a message via AIM to hcoupe02 Send a message via MSN to hcoupe02
Quote:

How much will this run for. I want to get the most out of a NA engine. If anything PM me or IM. Appreciate it.
hcoupe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 21st, 2008, 11:41 PM   #48
***POSSIBLE FRAUDULENT SELLER***

Send a message via AIM to hcoupe02 Send a message via MSN to hcoupe02
bump... on knowing how much of a project like I stated above would cost me and where to get such parts used or new. Don't matter. Thanks.
hcoupe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 5th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #49
Witwe

Quote:
^No, especially with the low compression of the J30A1. Hell if you have some time when you do it, clay it to see the exact clearence and if the heads can be milled to bring the compression up.
Has nobody milled the head to bring the compression up yet?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:54 AM   #50

Stock av6 is 58mm (measured from my 98)

TL-P is 64mm (measured from 00 TL-P)
TL-S is 68mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxcord View Post
i think this is a better deal

http://www.maxbore.com/

J30A1 stock TB size is 60mm(although 02AV6 said its 58mm)

He bores out your existing TB + intake maifold for $165, also there is no core charge.

my only question is if i send my TB + intake manifold to him, and he bores it to 68 mm(same size as CL-S TB), can i use my existing Volant intake to fit the bored out tb ?

I love my current Volant SRI, so i am wondering how one would solve this problem ?
Alan 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #51

Send a message via AIM to chiefy
Quote:

paul do u know the part #'s for the heads, intake tunner, im n tb that u mentioned?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chiefy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 4th, 2017, 10:17 PM   #52

What is the stock size of the j35a4 in the 04 odyssey? And what is the tl-p? I know the tl-s is the type s...i pulled a throttle body from a 2002 tl type s and it was 64mm
Sprofita1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 14th, 2017, 07:42 PM   #53

And the big boys answer. Recently, I add pulley kit no ac, port intake and exhaust heads, straight pipe headers and cat, turbo ready but I strip my head bolt because I looked at blue prints wrong I titen to nm instead of pound per foot this sucks. high pressure fuel pump, rims, gauges. how do I add pics ?
paulmcdramafree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.