TCS light and Check engine light came on!!?? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #1

TCS light and Check engine light came on!!??

i was driving down the 405.....i was at about 80mph and out of no where the TCS and check engine light came on....
i got off the freeway i parked and turned off the car.
i turned the car back on and the TCS light came off but check engine light stayed on...any idea on what this could be??

thanks..
i_VTEC714 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #2

hey man i had the exact same problem. i thought it was the egr valve so i replaced it but the tcs and check engine light came back on. the problem is the egr port is clogged with carbon. honda did a recall on it as it was a problem. the parameters of the recall are less than 80k miles and your car is less than 8 years old. don't know where you fall in this. if you can though get them to fix it. i was above the limit and honda was going to charge me $500 to fix the problem. what they do is drill out the port and put a wider metal tube in so the carbon is not as restricted. what i did was take of the intake manifold off and cleaned the port out and everything. i replaced the thottle body gasket and intake manifold gasket while i was at it. its not as hard as it sounds. everything cost me $20 plus 3 hours time. most of that was because the throttle body gasket was melted and i had to get it off. here's a link that i followed except instead of all the drilling i cleaned out the port with pipe cleaners. this was done a month ago and i haven't had any problems since. no tcs or cel. matter of fact the car runs better. hope this helps.

http://www.driveaccord.net/PDF/egr_port_clogging.pdf
coopcoop28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 9th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #3

Thing is i had just bought the car and had cleaned the egr valve, because it didnt pass smog sooo the light just came on again.....you think it might be the transmission since the j30 trannies tend to break down???
i_VTEC714 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old December 10th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #4

nope im telling you its the egr port. it just needs to be cleaned thats all. i dont think its the transmission because the d4 isnt blinking. whenever you clean or replace the egr valve it will work for a minute but will give you the same tcs and cel errors you have been getting. its the egr port and nothing else.

Last edited by coopcoop28; December 10th, 2009 at 05:17 PM..
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #5
hmmm what next?

its not just the EGR valve actuator it is also the intake manifold that gets clogged. you should have seen CRV's IM when i cleaned that out hahah it was so caked.
shonda1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #6

yea thats what im trying to tell him. mine was caked shut. it was crazy. chances are the egr valve you had on there was ok. you just need to clean the intake manifold port. then you will be good to go.
Old December 10th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #7
4.0L

There is a Technical Service Bulletin on this issue at Honda. It's like a recall...but it's not a safety issue. Recall = there's a potential safety hazard. If you take it to Honda they will fix it for free...regardless of your mileage/age of the car. If your local dealer refuses to fix it under the TSB, call Honda of America and file a complaint. I'm pretty sure I was over 80k when I got mine fixed for free. I don't know how long it takes Honda to fix it...but they kept my car for a day.
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #8

Nope the technical service bulletin states 80K miles and 8 years I think. I'm sure about the miles though. On top of that I called Honda. They tld me thee is nothing they can do. I talked to 3 different people and got the same answer from all 3. Even the service department at the local Honda dealership told me the same thing. that's my experience and the Honda dealership here has always been great to me and informed me if anything needed to be done to my car service wise. Matter of fact this is directly from Honda:

199901 vehicles The original PUD applied to V6
Accords through the first part of the 1999 model year.
This warranty extension adds the remainder of the
1999 model year, all of 2000, and part of the 2001
model year. Owners of vehicles that were not involved
in the original PUD will be mailed a letter detailing the 8
year, 80,000 mile warranty extension covering EGR
system clogging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietNinjaJ30A1 View Post
There is a Technical Service Bulletin on this issue at Honda. It's like a recall...but it's not a safety issue. Recall = there's a potential safety hazard. If you take it to Honda they will fix it for free...regardless of your mileage/age of the car. If your local dealer refuses to fix it under the TSB, call Honda of America and file a complaint. I'm pretty sure I was over 80k when I got mine fixed for free. I don't know how long it takes Honda to fix it...but they kept my car for a day.
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:43 AM   #9
4.0L

I stand corrected. I guess I got mine done before 80K then. I would keep calling Honda of America...it's crap that this is a known issue with all 6th gens.
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 10th, 2016, 12:40 PM   #10

4 cyl egr cleaning

Is there a thread or bulletin I could follow for the 4 cyl 6th gen accords?
i_VTEC42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 1st, 2017, 12:26 PM   #11

2002 accord idle issues and TCS and check engine lights

This tsb talks about 2001 and earlier. Mine is a 2002 v6. Would this apply? I had the tcs and check engine light on, brake like and open door lights flicker sometimes, and have a serging idle, diagnosed as the Idle control. Replaced it, seemed to fix for a few mins. Also had p0505 and p1487. After resetting codes, car drove fine for about 15 miles, then started acting up. I found a vacume hose that was not connected, duh. Hooked that back up, verified everything, still have the idle problem, still posting p0505. Just an FYI, I've had this car for 10 years, all maintenance complete, including timing belt and water pump. It has 283k miles, and ran like new until kid used it for a couple months, then had these troubles when it came back. It also sat for 3 months before I started checking it out because I have more cars and less money than I need.
I've found info the lights and the TSB for 2001 and earlier, and posts about the codes, but nothing with both.. Any ideas?
chascom01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.