6TH GEN Scheduled Maintenance - Page 2 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2006, 07:57 PM   #31

auctaulyl my plugs were toast at 60,000 miles. id sugestet doing them ever 30-60
A-ccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2006, 08:59 AM   #32

Send a message via AIM to maknwar
What about distributor cap and rotor? You can buy the parts but I havent heard of anyone replacing them.
maknwar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #33

I replaced my cap and rotor at 135,000 and it has been better since. I noticed mine was slighty worn out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
98exaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 27th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #34
T-Rob

Send a message via AIM to ccordpower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denali
its such a rip off it seems. 400+ for my 60k to do the same thing jiffy lube does. that's if they find nothing wrong with anything else.
Better to pay little by little than wait like I did for 150,000 miles and dump $2,200 at one time. Tried to make me pay $300 for warped rotors which were under an extended warranty lol. CV boots were cracked, EGR valve was bad, spark plugs, timing belt, tranny service, flushed brake lines = $1,900
ccordpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 1st, 2006, 05:48 PM   #35
EliteCM.net

Send a message via AIM to sy272004 Send a message via Yahoo to sy272004
um i didnt see transmition fluid replacement. as far as i read it should be every 2 years????
sy272004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 15th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0ndaJunkie View Post
You could do what I do, and do it all yourself. That way you don't have to pay for labor, and the parts are less than half price!

I always assume that since I do all of my own maintenance and upgrades, everyone else does too. I guess that's not the case.
I agree.
JBT3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #37
...noob in need...

Send a message via AIM to xCrayZ_one2NVx
good info to know =]
xCrayZ_one2NVx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 16th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #38

When do I need to change/upgrade my spark plugs? I have 60k miles. The dealership said @ 60k miles. It sounds soon. My truck has had the same spark plugs for 7 years and work fine (180k miles). So, should I change/upgrade my plugs now? I want NGK Iridium IX spark plugs.
VenomNST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #39
MARTIN

At least check them for any deposits or oil stains to see if you have a gasket leak...that and whether or not if your running rich/lean...
TRUV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 3rd, 2007, 10:04 AM   #40

I added a DIY on my website for doing the transmission fluid:

http://www.geocities.com/accordtips
gilwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:21 PM   #41
Sifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
I added a DIY on my website for doing the transmission fluid:

http://www.geocities.com/accordtips
I was just looking for something like this, thanks.

PS, I read your "out of gas" story. Don't put premium in your car, it won't run as well. 6th-gens do not have a knock sensor and are tuned for 87, so 91-93 doesn't do anything for us unless we are supercharged.
Hunsvotti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #42
Untitled

Send a message via AIM to VanyDotK
So I just took my girlfriend's car to get a 90k service price quote and I went to a few places. Let me just say I'm glad my accord is cheap when it comes to maintenance. It's going to cost between 450-850 for her 90k!
VanyDotK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:04 PM   #43

how do you flush brake fluid?
01accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:19 PM   #44

I've had my '01 Accord EX V6 for about a year and a half and the only thing I've done is replace the oil/filter and front left ball joint.

I'm thinking about replacing the plugs with NGK Iridiums. Comments/suggestions?

What else should I do? Replace thermostat, tranny fluid, brake fluid, fuel filter, distributor....? I know it's better safe than sorry.
mista is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:55 PM   #45
LaLaLaLa

Send a message via AIM to stupidaznmunkey
i hit 120k...and i have a lot of problems
stupidaznmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 14th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #46

thanks guys. this was alot of help.
98clin10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 15th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista View Post
I've had my '01 Accord EX V6 for about a year and a half and the only thing I've done is replace the oil/filter and front left ball joint.

I'm thinking about replacing the plugs with NGK Iridiums. Comments/suggestions?

What else should I do? Replace thermostat, tranny fluid, brake fluid, fuel filter, distributor....? I know it's better safe than sorry.
How many miles are on it? Do you have any service records?
Also, your 01 accord doesn't have a distributor or fuel filter.
team is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #48

hey guys. I have 01v6xdan w/116k miles. I am going to replace my engine mounts at the dealer next weekend. what else should I do? I have replaced my timing belt n water pump at 90k, just did a engine and tranny fluid change. have never done a brake flush, changed cabin filter 2yrs ago, did a front rotor and pads 16months ago (pads only in rear). let's see what else... anyways, moving from FL to CA in few weeks in this car, so any advices are welcome...
123kingkong321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #49

I would flush the brake fluid and power steering fluid with your miles and do the cabin filter again. I just flushed my brake fluid and powersteering fluid a couple weeks ago (I have 177,000 miles on mine, I should have done it earlier).
team is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #50

ya
maaxx14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #51
-Maninder

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaxx14 View Post
ya

1fastJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #52

there is a few things missing in there though,
be sure to edit in
"replace crappy transmission" about every 40,000 miles =]
cragster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 16th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #53

when do u need to have a tune up done? and what needs to be done?
moeaccord26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 22nd, 2010, 11:26 PM   #54

Timing belts are made of rubber-and fiber type material- heat dries all belts- These v6 engines are of interference type.. meaning..if timing belt snaps- your pistons crash into your valves- and your stuck. BIG money to repair head and replace damaged valves and associated damage. Follow recommended schedule is smart. Do not go beyond 105,000 miles without inspecting belt- and since your inspecting..do it- its already apart.
Now, as far as the water pump- cheap insurance- although A tech at Hondatech in Fl. mentioned the following: pump goes for 2nd timing belt change(210,000) miles, tensioner, idler- are also not necessary..however, cam crank seals are advisable. (rubber and metal= rubber wears out)
If you can afford the extra $$ for water pump(85.00) for Honda part. dont buy cheap China made junk. you'll be sorry. Aftermarket pumps are still a gamble, even usa made..( sorry ) Mine is due in 4000 miles..I'm doing my belt, seals, regular belts and while I'm having it done..inspect pump, tensioner, idler for wear, leaks, excessive play, etc.) before I buy. It takes 1 phone call to order parts..or buy them beforehand, if not needed- return parts for $$ back. I am in contact with top technicians 5 days a week in Ft. Laud . Fl. and the Honda tech. The NON-Honda tech wants to sell it, even Honda dealer wants to sell it...( Surprised? see Honda transmission issue assistance to remind you.) The dealer has their own interest in mind..not you.( P R O F I T ). However ..there are exceptions. research, evaluate and then decide ..dont hand your wallet to Honda. or any ole mechanic.
he needs to be experienced in the nature of these engines, parts, etc. Anyway..I hope this helps.
SILVER3.0BULLIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 26th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #55
Banned

6TH GEN Scheduled Maintenance

My C30s maintenance book says that the first routine service is at 7,500 miles, which includes an oil & filter change and a few other small things. Im a paranoid guy who likes to get the oil changed a little early for a cars first scheduled service. Have any of you taken yours into a dealer at a mileage a little lower than 7,500 and did not have a problem from the dealerships service department?
undunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #56

I saw that some Southern California guys were doing a group timing belt change day. Anyone know how it went? I'm curious if after doing it people would recommend it as a DIY task or recommend having the mechanic do it.
psumichael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 5th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #57

that's awesome..thanks a lot!
buddhizibi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 28th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #58

I bought a 2000 Accord about a year ago from my brother and after years of wasting money getting all of my service done at shops/dealers I've decided to take my automotive future into my own hands (and to save some money in the process).

So, I need some direction on how to do the standard maintenance stuff from oil changes to brakes to changing transmission fluid to ??? . Can anyone point me in the right direction for detailed instructions on this stuff?
COAngelFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 25th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by COAngelFan View Post
I bought a 2000 Accord about a year ago from my brother and after years of wasting money getting all of my service done at shops/dealers I've decided to take my automotive future into my own hands (and to save some money in the process).

So, I need some direction on how to do the standard maintenance stuff from oil changes to brakes to changing transmission fluid to ??? . Can anyone point me in the right direction for detailed instructions on this stuff?
You are not wasting money if you value your time. Maintaining your car takes time and since you do not do the maintenance job all the time it takes you a lot longer to do the same job, assuming you got the right tools.

Changing oil and filter is the easiest maintenance next to adding air to the tires. Each car is slightly different but when you do it once it is much easier the second time. In preferred order of easy of learning: Ask a friend who has done it before, look over the shoulder of your local mechanic, some actually appreciates the fact that you should an interest, or look for some YouTube videos - some videos I have seen even start out by listing the tools you will need for the car and service.

Oh, btw dressed in old clothes, wear gloves and eye protection (eye glasses are fine) because you will get dirty. I use Costco leather work gloves as they have a good fit for my hand size and leather protects better for the inevitable slip against the sharp edges under the car. Surgery gloves are too thin for protection and mechanics gloves are way over priced for what they provide. Good luck.
gpm290 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 25th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #60

I think my post above should count for 5 posts so i can see the dxxm pictures !!!
gpm290 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.