Jack stands and jack points (98 Accord V6) - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2005, 09:56 AM   #1

Jack stands and jack points (98 Accord V6)

I'm not a particularly gifted mechanic but I like to do some car mainenance on my own. I have a question about the placement of jack stands. I've changed the oil and placed the car on the stands, but I've never felt very confident about the placement. That's never a good feeling when you're underneath the car.

Now, I want to rotate the tires, so I'd like to lift both the front and back. It's not clear to me where the best place for placing the jack and jack stands is.

The little jackpoint tabs seem secure, but if I'm placing the jack underneath the tabs where am I supposed to put the jackstands? Alternatively, if I want to place the jackstands under the tabs, where should I jack from?

What's the best setup? Does anybody have any pics that show a good setup?

Thanks.
bonus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to metallikatz3
i jack the front by going under the front bumper to the frame rails that leaves everything open for the stands, and the rear i jack from the jack points and put the stands under the axle
metallikatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 28th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #3

Help a newbie out

Thanks for the info. I'm still lost (trust me, it's me, not you). Here's a picture of the front. Where exactly are the frame rails under the front bumper?

Now, on the rear, I'm not sure where to put the jack stands. You suggested under the rear axle. I checked under my car and wasn't sure if I found the suitable place. Here's a another picture borrowed from the Haynes manual.

I'm a total newbie. Can anyone break it down for me a little further?
bonus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 28th, 2005, 03:55 PM   #4
V Go SoCal Drivers V

Send a message via AIM to bustedryde
In the first pic, the jacking point is that rectangular black object with the hole in it. In the second pic, the part where I jack up the rear is cut off from that pic.

Last edited by bustedryde; January 28th, 2005 at 04:07 PM..
bustedryde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 24th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to NiceMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonus
The little jackpoint tabs seem secure, but if I'm placing the jack underneath the tabs where am I supposed to put the jackstands? Alternatively, if I want to place the jackstands under the tabs, where should I jack from?

What's the best setup? Does anybody have any pics that show a good setup?

Thanks.
Typically, if you find a point that doesn't bend or crush while jacking, it should be pretty solid. I usually tap around until I find a stable point. Just make sure you're not jacking from anywhere in the middle of the chassis. Jacking near the car's center of mass causes the jack to act as a fulcrum, placing the bulk of the vehicle's weight on it, which can cause even a strong point in the chassis to bend.

Here's a pic of a good place to jack from on the front:

[IMG]http://www.v6performance.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=391&stc=1[\IMG]
This pic is borrowed from:
Powerslot rotor install

I have yet to find a decent place on the rear to jack from. Hope this is helpful.

- NiceMan
NiceMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 24th, 2005, 06:42 PM   #6
constantly in pursuit

Send a message via AIM to hammer03
man, props for helpin a guy out, but where'd you dig this up? haha.
hammer03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.