HELP!! my tires keep wearing on the inside - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #1

HELP!! my tires keep wearing on the inside

All lowered guys with camber kits check in!! I have lowered my car with Koni Yellows and H&R Sports, I purchased SPC Front and Rear Camber kits. I have lowered the front an extra 20mm to the lower perch, giving a total front drop of 1.9 or 2 inches. I have put the car on the alignment rack several times and have adjusted the car back to the spec registered on the alignment computer, but it keeps wearing the inner side of the front tires. I need to fix this before I go threw another set of tires. How do I fix this alignment issue? Is it the toe or camber? Give me some much needed information....
98exaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #2

How many miles do you get out of a set of tires before theyre belted?

I was getting about 800 miles on a set, then i lowered it alot more, probably about 3-4 inches drop and i would get over 1k miles. I hear thats bad, so i went to get a alignment and they told me my lower ball joints are shot. Replaced them, and got a alignment. I have about 100 miles on these snow tires and i see no wear at all.

So, i would check your ball joints, and alignment. Set the toe to 0, and you can get a camber kit to set the camber to 0 so you would wear the tire evenly.
ericspda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #3

Also it depends on how hard you drive your car. Before I ever lowered my car, I had pretty bad inner wear because I just took a lot of corners hard.
TheHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #4

I will look at the lower ball joints. I get several thousand miles out of the tires but it does but excessive edge wear on the tires. I do dry my car hard in turns but does not affect the tire wear im having. I cant figure out why it keeps chewing up the inside...
98exaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #5
hella flush

Send a message via AIM to lilfotoman
set the toe to 0 and you should be good to go!!!
lilfotoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98exaccord View Post
I will look at the lower ball joints. I get several thousand miles out of the tires but it does but excessive edge wear on the tires. I do dry my car hard in turns but does not affect the tire wear im having. I cant figure out why it keeps chewing up the inside...
If youre lowered, youre going to get negative camber.

Like that...

So, the tires are obviously going to be significantly more worn on the inside vs the outside. Im not sure how bad it is, but all my tires are belted on the inside and look like new on the outside.
Old December 9th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #7
Hector Ochocinco

Send a message via AIM to HECz_
Whats your tire setup?

edit- that pink bimmer looks sick
HECz_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 9th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #8
Destroyer of Tires

Several thousand is a problem... I haven't gotten an alignment for my car in a couple years and I am still on a set of tires I've probably used for about 15K now, maybe less. Your camber kit is actually just a marketing ploy at your height... Don't know why you bought one lol. People buy them for the wrong reasons... *sigh*

Of all things, make sure your toe is set to spec (between stock and zero would be preferred). The way you drive your car also affects the tire wear so if you drive aggressively they will wear faster. Also, do you rotate your tires? I need to rotate mine real soon here... My fronts are balding...
Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2008, 06:24 AM   #9
Super IcyAccord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X View Post
Several thousand is a problem... I haven't gotten an alignment for my car in a couple years and I am still on a set of tires I've probably used for about 15K now, maybe less. Your camber kit is actually just a marketing ploy at your height... Don't know why you bought one lol. People buy them for the wrong reasons... *sigh*

Of all things, make sure your toe is set to spec (between stock and zero would be preferred). The way you drive your car also affects the tire wear so if you drive aggressively they will wear faster. Also, do you rotate your tires? I need to rotate mine real soon here... My fronts are balding...
dawt.

camber kits are a waste of money. fix your toe. im running -3 in the rear, and the wear is minimal. not saying it doesnt exist, but it is even across the board, not just insides.
changaroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by changaroo View Post
dawt.

camber kits are a waste of money. fix your toe. im running -3 in the rear, and the wear is minimal. not saying it doesnt exist, but it is even across the board, not just insides.
same here! toe is most important
accord213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #11
Hippie

Send a message via AIM to Accord2000
k i guessing this might be a good place to post this question and if its not i apologize.....but i have a bent front wheel spindle besides wearing the tread down faster is it going to be a problem when I install my coilovers and drop the accord?
Accord2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord2000 View Post
k i guessing this might be a good place to post this question and if its not i apologize.....but i have a bent front wheel spindle besides wearing the tread down faster is it going to be a problem when I install my coilovers and drop the accord?
I wouldnt want to drive a car with a bent spindle.

Theyre cheap enough, get a replacement and swap it.

And yes, yes it will be a alignment issue.
Old December 10th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #13
MASTER OF MAYHEM

Send a message via AIM to Joepro
First off, camber kits are NOT a waste, esp in the rear with our cars. The truth is tho, it is usually the TOE causing the wear problems. I would eat a set of tires in 7-10k on my omnis due to FRONT camber and toe wear. I already had a rear kit and adjusted it to factory specs. I bought the ingalls from arms and had the car realigned and it is in perfect spec and is wearing tires normally. Also, try some nitto neo gens, they are made for lowered cars.
and yes, I am low....
these wheels are off the car for the winter, I will snap a pic of the tires to show you the even wear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Joepro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #14

^ +1 Nitto neogens rule.
TheHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 11th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #15
Destroyer of Tires

Of all things, why would you get one in the rear? The part that drives the car and where all the wear will be is in the FRONT. The majority of the weight is there, it's the driving point in the car, and the turning point. The most tirewear is going to be up there, not in the rear. Just based on a simple eyeball test I can see that my fronts are wearing quicker than my rears, which is why people rotate their tires.

Seriously most people buy camber kits because they want to "protect their tires" when they don't really understand that it's the toe that destroys tires much faster. You buy camber kits for the handling characteristics. If you want to save your tires, get a good alignment, don't drive like you are racing in a circuit, and pay attention to when you rotate your tires.
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #16
hella flush

Send a message via AIM to lilfotoman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X View Post
Of all things, why would you get one in the rear? The part that drives the car and where all the wear will be is in the FRONT. The majority of the weight is there, it's the driving point in the car, and the turning point. The most tirewear is going to be up there, not in the rear. Just based on a simple eyeball test I can see that my fronts are wearing quicker than my rears, which is why people rotate their tires.

Seriously most people buy camber kits because they want to "protect their tires" when they don't really understand that it's the toe that destroys tires much faster. You buy camber kits for the handling characteristics. If you want to save your tires, get a good alignment, don't drive like you are racing in a circuit, and pay attention to when you rotate your tires.
some people cant rotate them :/ wah wah. hahaha
and people get camber kit to run more camber, not fix it!
lilfotoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #17
Destroyer of Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfotoman View Post
some people cant rotate them :/ wah wah. hahaha
and people get camber kit to run more camber, not fix it!
You could run a stagger with the wider wheels up front...

And a wise man you are for suggesting that pulling in the camber more will allow you to fit more aggressive wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.