J35A4 Cam Swap Complete w/ pics - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Artistotle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #1

Cool J35A4 Cam Swap Complete w/ pics

I received J35A4 (240hp engine compared to 260hp j32a2) camshafts from Artistotle for $100 shipped, great deal and cheaper than the j32a2 cams but not as much of an upgrade. Also I got a megan racing underdrive pulley from someone on here as well for $20. It pulls much harder in the mid-range now, I went around a corner and actually spun my nexen tires, I was so surprised, the pulley really helps the engine rev up when it downshifts (damn automatic)...

I have to tell you, the timing was the hardest part, I screwed it up and got it 1-2 teeth off. I noticed there is a lot more valvetrain chatter, ended up doing valve adjustments today and screwed up the timing again by rotating the camshaft instead of the crank and ended up having to do it again! I think I'm a pro at the timing now, good thing I left the belt covers off, need to put them back on.

My workspace, a little messy

Stock pulley is heavy as hell!!

Such a pretty engine...

Getting this on was extremely easy compared to the timing

Finding TDC for piston #1, didn't realize until the 2nd time I had to do it there's a mark behind the pulley to locate TDC

Snowman was happy I didn't bend any valves!

Xencer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #2
SFL AV6

Nice thread! Good pics
So how does it feel with swapped oem cams & pulley ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jiga21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiga21 View Post
Nice thread! Good pics
So how does it feel with swapped oem cams & pulley ?
It feels pretty awesome, kind of the same crappy low end, but once you get to 3k it gets insanely loud, will start to haul ass and sounds like a grizzly bear attack! I need some headers though, and a suspension wouldn't hurt.
Old September 14th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #4
SFL AV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xencer View Post
It feels pretty awesome, kind of the same crappy low end, but once you get to 3k it gets insanely loud, will start to haul ass and sounds like a grizzly bear attack! I need some headers though, and a suspension wouldn't hurt.
Very nice results then, glad to hear that...suspension will def help the launches and stability at high speeds..headers will do damage for sure..messed up part is ur car is not running to it's full potential without a tune...also about the crappy low end, did u reset the computer by any chance ? Cause if u did it takes a lil while to come back and possibly stronger than before when it does come back proper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jiga21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #5

Yeah, I left the battery positive terminal off for a couple minutes and put it back on, that was yesterday. My my mid-range and high end doing pretty good the low end is soo bad in comparison. I don't think it's worth a tune right now, since I just have an intake, cams and a pulley.

Some more pics, my friends and my accord, before I blacked out my headlights (and cam/pulley install)

Awesome S2000 I wish I had

Old September 18th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #6
NSX dreamer

When I saw the thread title I was like hmm I wonder how this turned out, then when i saw you were the author I was cheering for ya! Glad to hear you put them to use, I know you were considering selling them again just cuz you needed the money, but that's so cool to see that they got installed Glad you like them!

I agree on the pulley being a nice little upgrade as well..

and that S2k makes me drool! Altho i don't like the fake blacked out "windows" on the hardtop, the wheels/stance is sick.
Artistotle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 18th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #7

Yeah, my car is a bit quicker but my tranny is starting to shift really hard lately :/
Old September 18th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #8
NSX dreamer

You think its related? Could just be in need of a tune. OR a tune-up. Check your trans fluid while in park whle running. should be pink.
Old September 18th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #9

It's dark-ish red. I did put that transmission cooler in and never changed the fluid
Old September 18th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #10
NSX dreamer

Adding coolers of any kind increases the total fluid capacity of the system. Even though the better coolers have a temp sensitive "choke" that only opens the entire flow path at a certain temp, you still have to account for fluid going through the lines and the minimal portion of the cooler itself. If your cooler doesn't have that feature, than really really have to add some. Your trans might be running rough b/c it is running "dry."

I think you are low on fluid. But don't overfill it.
Old September 19th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #11

Just out of curiosity, what size belt did u use forth underdrive pulley? I have a high amp system in my car and wondered if putting one similar to the one you have will do anything bad to the car in terms of it being underdriven
DiceX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #12

If you search around you can find it, someone posted part numbers. I have a stereo system with a 250 watt 2 channel amp and I don't have any dimming lights unless I turn on the a/c or use more than one window at once. Which I never use a/c anyways, can't stand to drive without my windows down.

I showed my neighbor how heavy the stock pulley was and he was telling me that the pulley is used to dampen/counter the flexing and vibrations of the crankshaft, so you could possibly break the crankshaft. However I've never heard of this happening to anyone.
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #13
NSX dreamer

Breaking the crankshaft is just not going to happen, if you are speaking in technical terms. Extreme vibrations could damage the bearings, or unbalance the crank (for which I believe the term is "walking")..Anyways, i've had unorthodox racing main pulley and alt pulley for a year or two now, and never had any problems with it. I have heard issues with the AEM TruPower series of pulley products. I think people's alternators were dying out or something.
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:13 AM   #14

I've heard that also, I only have on the AEM trupower powersteering pulley and made a slight difference and left stock alt pulley but soon ill get the unorthodox alternator pulley.
DiceX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 21st, 2011, 02:42 PM   #15

Well he is a master mechanic, but yeah I don't believe the crankshaft would break. But I do have the meghan racing pulley which is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than stock size and much much lighter, so I'm a little worried about my alternator.
Old September 25th, 2011, 04:11 AM   #16

nice job
maitham_17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:54 PM   #17

Nice set up are you running a j30a1 and also did u have to get them "machined"?
J30vtec01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #18

JDM as ****!!
grantd007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #19
NSX dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantd007 View Post
JDM as ****!!
DiceX likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.