Check Engine Light and TCS - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 14th, 2004, 08:46 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to SlvrBulletV6
Check Engine Light and TCS

I have searched thru the forums but I haven't really found anything identical to my situation if anyone can help educatatively speculate or have simliar experiences, please advise.

I was driving on the local streets going avg. 35-40mph, my engine check light goes on with the TCS. (mind you that I have a 2001 v6 accord) I tried to turn of the TCS using the button but it won't turn off, it stays on with the engine light.
On top of that, if I am accelerating, not too hard, but enough to get it moving, the engine check light will flash for a bit and stay on, each time I accelerate or add gas to the pedal.

I also read the manual and checked the gas lid, but it was on tight.
On top of that my car (after the lights came on) my car started to feel sluggish. I live on a hill so driving back home, to return the car, the car going uphill was barely going 20mph, when typically I can go 30+ (with the amount of gas I was putting in.)

I spoke to a friend who said that it could be bad gas, untightend gas lid? Also she said that it could be the catalytic converter, but she had the dealer just clear out the light and that was that...however she didn't feel a difference in her car going sluggish.

Now, after searching the forums, I noticed something about EGR valves, etc not sure if its the same problem.

If anyone can add their inputs, I would greatly appreciate it.
SlvrBulletV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #2
Future Dentist

Send a message via AIM to Landshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrBulletV6
I have searched thru the forums but I haven't really found anything identical to my situation if anyone can help educatatively speculate or have simliar experiences, please advise.

I was driving on the local streets going avg. 35-40mph, my engine check light goes on with the TCS. (mind you that I have a 2001 v6 accord) I tried to turn of the TCS using the button but it won't turn off, it stays on with the engine light.
On top of that, if I am accelerating, not too hard, but enough to get it moving, the engine check light will flash for a bit and stay on, each time I accelerate or add gas to the pedal.

I also read the manual and checked the gas lid, but it was on tight.
On top of that my car (after the lights came on) my car started to feel sluggish. I live on a hill so driving back home, to return the car, the car going uphill was barely going 20mph, when typically I can go 30+ (with the amount of gas I was putting in.)

I spoke to a friend who said that it could be bad gas, untightend gas lid? Also she said that it could be the catalytic converter, but she had the dealer just clear out the light and that was that...however she didn't feel a difference in her car going sluggish.

Now, after searching the forums, I noticed something about EGR valves, etc not sure if its the same problem.

If anyone can add their inputs, I would greatly appreciate it.
Just had the exact same problem happen to me today and I don't have a clue what could be wrong
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 17th, 2004, 05:01 PM   #3

I just went to AutoZone today to use the OBD2 scanner and it turns out the codes I got were:
P0301 = Cylinder 1 Misfire detected
P0303 = Cylinder 3 Misfire detected
P0306 = Cylinder 6 Misfire detected
P0300 = Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire detected
P1399 = Manufacturer Ingition System or Misfire

After speaking with a mechanic and to my suspicion, he said that most likely its either the Spark plugs needs to be changed, a shortening of the plugs wire, and/or something wrong with the distributor.

Now, my 2k1 accord v6 hasn't had any of those changed and its about 60k right now....so I believe if I change the sparks plugs and wires it should be ok right?

However, I haven't changed spark plugs or wires, but I heard that its fairly simple...can someone give me step-by-step instructions on how to do so?

And which products do you recommend? Thanks.
Old December 17th, 2004, 05:13 PM   #4
Future Dentist

Send a message via AIM to Landshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrBulletV6
I just went to AutoZone today to use the OBD2 scanner and it turns out the codes I got were:
P0301 = Cylinder 1 Misfire detected
P0303 = Cylinder 3 Misfire detected
P0306 = Cylinder 6 Misfire detected
P0300 = Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire detected
P1399 = Manufacturer Ingition System or Misfire

After speaking with a mechanic and to my suspicion, he said that most likely its either the Spark plugs needs to be changed, a shortening of the plugs wire, and/or something wrong with the distributor.

Now, my 2k1 accord v6 hasn't had any of those changed and its about 60k right now....so I believe if I change the sparks plugs and wires it should be ok right?

However, I haven't changed spark plugs or wires, but I heard that its fairly simple...can someone give me step-by-step instructions on how to do so?

And which products do you recommend? Thanks.

Not sure about the spark plugs, but I guess its worth a try. I don't know too much about them so I couldn't recommend anything, but I'm sure someone on here can help ya out
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 17th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #5

Ok so I check the manual, it has some pretty good instructions on how to replace the sparks plugs. Which one should get? NGK or Densos?
Old December 17th, 2004, 10:34 PM   #6
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

I recommend NGK Iridiums. They're the best for the money, IMO. I have Denso Iridiums myself and based on my experience, they aren't worth twice the price of the NGK Iridiums.
TH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 3rd, 2005, 01:56 AM   #7

My mom's 6gen is throwing the same error code. I replaced the spark plugs today but it didn't help. SlvrBullet, can you tell me what end up fixing your problem?
civic5zigen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:21 AM   #8
Tofu Delivery Boy

Send a message via AIM to The_Tofu_Shop
spark plugs are easy. search for the 6th gen FAQ, theres all kinds of answers in there.

civic5zigen, did you try resetting the ECU?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Andy 2
SoCal Pride

G-Spec Points: 40
The_Tofu_Shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 3rd, 2005, 06:34 AM   #9

you guy might have gotten bad gas, and might be nothing wrong with spark plugs.
before you replace anything try to reset ECU and see if that help.
HONDA_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 4th, 2005, 12:07 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Teirs
your car wont have wires or a distributor, its direct ignition. um changing the spark plugs might help keep us updated. I had this problem a while go like the ones in the first post but i reset my ecu and it all went away (knock on wood)
Teirs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 4th, 2005, 04:06 PM   #11

I reset the ecu by taking out the fuse several time but no help. Still getting the misfire on all 6 cyc. First I though it may be the EGR thingy but my dealer told me that have already been done on the car and the only other recall I haven't done is the transmission.

so does 00' have distributor or not? Should also replace the ign wires as well?
civic5zigen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 6th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #12

from 2000 all AV6's do not have distributors and spark plug wires, so only one thing in ignition system that can cause misfiring is spark plugs.
in your case i would swap spark plugs between, let say cylinders 5 & 6, reset ECU again (fuse #13 on passenger side). if CEL come back with P0305 instead of P0306 then you got bad spark plug.
HONDA_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to net567 Send a message via Yahoo to net567
my 2001 v6 just started showing the TCS and CEL. i went to advanced auto to get my codes read, but someone stole thier reader. did anyone have a solution for this yet ?
net567 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #14
Guest User 466

thats wierd
i had the same problem today too
but mine was because of the unichip. i dont get whats wrong with it. when its pluged in then the tcs and engine light comes on and man the rpm's go up so slowly!!
when i take is out then its back to normal and everything is ok.

now i'm worried that the unichip is messing up my car. :/

where is garrett or maurice? i need ur help!!
tw02av6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:43 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to net567 Send a message via Yahoo to net567
i finally read my codes. it says EGR flow insufficent (p0401) .
net567 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 8th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #16
Something Something Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Doom
Change spark plugs in the 6th gen FAQ.
Doom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2005, 06:00 AM   #17
"GOOD~TIMES"

rough idle

my 02 v6 was popin and farting. i had to flutter the gas to keep it goin. the tcs light was on and the car was /felt sluggish?? i also burt just about 2 times the fuel on the same daliy trip?engine mods only a cold air in. . i had gas . normal mild day? 50k on her oil clean?? air filter clean? all seemed fine but ??? ran like **** . i dumped d1 and d2 hard and broke the wheels free a couple times and the tcs just turned off and car ran fine since??? i dunno... somethine funky happinin here...
NO12NV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 22nd, 2006, 05:03 AM   #18

Just to keep on record, my problems were solved by changing all the spark plugs using NGK Iridiums.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 12:49 PM   #19
Something Something Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Doom
Teirs and HONDA_99
Doom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 11th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #20
The OG is here!!!

SilverbulletV6 did you solve your problem with your CEL, because right now im having the same problem that you posted so i need to know what did you do to get it fixed?
TJP_AccordV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 11th, 2006, 11:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJP_AccordV6
SilverbulletV6 did you solve your problem with your CEL, because right now im having the same problem that you posted so i need to know what did you do to get it fixed?
Yes, my problem was solved. I changed my spark plugs NGK Iridium IX and reset the ecu. I believe I also made sure that my gas cap on was tightly on as well.

Hope it helps.
Old June 15th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #22
bun_bv6

yo, just wanna let u know that the problem ur having is not cause by the spark plug, spark plug wires, or any of that crap. and no, the av6 doesnt have a distributor, any one tellin u that is a fool. i also drive a 2001 av6 and go thru the same problem EVERYDAY, mainly becuz i take the freeway to go to work, so im at speed exceeding 70mph. i also heard it might be the EGR valves but not sure exactly. im surprise the crackheads at HONDA hasnt recall to get this fix. but if for now, i just take out the light bulb for the engine check light, cuz the TCS light goes away when u shut ur car off. well, hope that help.
bun_bv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 15th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #23
4.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by net567
i finally read my codes. it says EGR flow insufficent (p0401) .

I don't know if the '01 Accords are affected by the TSB...but there is one...it's the piping that leads back into your intake manifold...it's too narrow so there's a lot of carbon build up which blocks the flow. There's a kit to fix this...and Honda should do it for free if you take it in for them to look @.

VietNinjaJ30A1
2000 Honda Accord V6 Supercharged
Official Slammed Club Member #36 (Stage 1)
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 21st, 2006, 10:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietNinjaJ30A1
I don't know if the '01 Accords are affected by the TSB...but there is one...it's the piping that leads back into your intake manifold...it's too narrow so there's a lot of carbon build up which blocks the flow. There's a kit to fix this...and Honda should do it for free if you take it in for them to look @.
Sigh...the same symptoms just occured again (I thought I got rid of the problem long ago...)

- What is this kit that you are talking about? If i said "kit for carbon build-up"...would or should the HONDA dealer know what I am talking about?

Also whats up with the EGR valve thing? If there is a TSB does that mean the dealer should be fixing this problem for free on HOA's tab?
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:52 PM   #25
Banned

Send a message via MSN to kleptodathief
lucky i've never had a CEL with TCS only on... but wat i had was CEL + TCS + D4 blinking a couple months ago!!! happened once but i never got the code scanned, i just reset the ecu and it hasnt come back to this day... im hoping it was just a bad fuel cuz that one day i used 94octane and my gas tank was very low at the time...also cuz b the warning signs for the death of the autotragic v6 POS tranny
kleptodathief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleptodathief
lucky i've never had a CEL with TCS only on... but wat i had was CEL + TCS + D4 blinking a couple months ago!!! happened once but i never got the code scanned, i just reset the ecu and it hasnt come back to this day... im hoping it was just a bad fuel cuz that one day i used 94octane and my gas tank was very low at the time...also cuz b the warning signs for the death of the autotragic v6 POS tranny
I had my tranny fixed in the beginning of the summer and I never had the D4 blinking. Today only the Engine Light came on, the TCS is actually gone.

However, yesterday I did fill up on a full tank of gas (I am SURE i used 86(?) too.) But then after about 20 miles on the fwy did the TCS and CEL came on.

So now I hope it was a bad fuel day...so I am hoping to just use up the fuel and reset the ECU then...

Any more inputs would be greatly appreciated.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:39 PM   #27

Send a message via ICQ to ProPs
clogged fuel injectors?
ProPs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 23rd, 2006, 12:20 AM   #28

This is weird. The engine light went off. The other day when it first came on I did go check the fuel cap and recapped it again. Perhaps I didn't tighten the fuel cap tightly? So weird.
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #29

I am just posting this for reference for others who might be searching for answers:

So I had a TCS and CEL on, say Tuesday while on the fwy. Thurs morning when I started the ignition, the TCS is off, but the CEL is on. Once I got onto the on-ramp to the fwy and accelerated, the CEL went off (I used a different gas station company - so I may have had bad fuel that exacerbated the problem). As long I do not use a OBD2 scanner or disconnect the battery, the codes should still be in the ECU. I took it to the Honda Dealer and it took them to fix the car. It was a clogged EGR port (Insufficient fuel flow - the code was P401) so they cleaned and installed a EGR kit (a tube).
- Basically, when you have a EGR problem, your car will feel somewhat sluggish, that or you will see that your MPG decrease dramatically.

There is a TSB out for 6 gen v6 accords, but I was over the mileage of 80k (with 95k) but still within the 8 year frame (my car is 2001). I had to initiate the goodwill claim with HoA and then the dealer took care of everything. Make sure that you do NOT clear the code yourself by using a OBD2 scanner or disconnecting the battery, because for the dealer to give you the warranty, they need the code.

My car feels like it has some new life breathe into its engine.

Hope this info helps members with similar problems. Enjoy.

{I am pleased with HoA customer service, esp. my person handling my claim and the service manager at my dealer. The goodwill sure did keep my confidence in Honda as a consumer of their products.}

Check this thread for more info as well. egr fixed, light reset, but it still comes back on with same code

Last edited by SlvrBulletV6; January 19th, 2007 at 11:39 PM..
Old January 20th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #30
Banned

Send a message via MSN to kleptodathief
my car sometimes feels sluggish but i thought its just the crappy autotragic! ive only had CEL comeon few times in the last 1.5 years... one for bad VAFC2 connection/install and twice for D4/TCS/CEL combo ... resetted ECU and its never popped up again(6months ago it happend last)
kleptodathief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.