Can people really get a key made just by knowing your VIN? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #1

Exclamation Can people really get a key made just by knowing your VIN?

One of my friends told me that I should cover up the VIN number on my car. She said that if someone has that, they can get a key made to get into my car.. is it really that easy?
dave_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2005, 11:08 AM   #2
I'm stupid with cars

Send a message via ICQ to Showtime Send a message via AIM to Showtime
if that's the case, i'm going to Hollywood and taking down the VIN numbers of every Ferrari and other exotic cars!!

I highly doubt it.... plus if anything i'm sure people would steal more expensive cars..?
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to CRV_33
i thought you have to present id and proof of ownership assuming that you had the keys made at a dealership
CRV_33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #4
J32A2 + SC + Meth AV6

Send a message via ICQ to BlackV62K2 Send a message via AIM to BlackV62K2 Send a message via MSN to BlackV62K2
I remember watching something on this on Dateline. They had undercover people go to parking lots to get a bunch of VINs from other people's cars. Then they would goto dealerships to get a spare key. It didn't work @ all dealerships but some actually made the spare key with no ID needed. LOL, they went back to the cars and waited for the owner to come and showed they were able to get a spare for their car.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #5

I saw that dateline episode too. It all depends on how thorough the dealership is in checking, but it can happen when they don't follow policy or have crooks working for them. I think it might be illegal to cover the vin number though.
scottman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2005, 01:20 PM   #6
aka XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Send a message via AIM to Greenman03
Yep I watched that episode also, kinda scared me a bit. Nothing you can really do, plus some vehicles have the vin etched into the glass on the doors. I perfer a fuel cut off switch to solve that problem.
Greenman03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottman
I think it might be illegal to cover the vin number though.

hmm.. anyone know if that's true? If not, I'll definitely be covering mine up.
dave_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 16th, 2005, 02:46 PM   #8

yes delearship's can make a key with just having your vin number, not sure if it has to be the delear u bought ur car from or all "honda" delears.
but u still need identity and proof of ownership
if they do get a key, they still cant start it cause of the immobilizer
ray01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 16th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to 5150crx
yup this is sort of true. it would not be as easy as just buying a key...you can buy a "red" key from honda based on the vin of the car...this key clears everything out(also if you buy your car new...you get one) if they also have honda obd2 reader they can then use a "replacement" key from honda and if they did some other stuff (not looking to teach anyone how to steal), they could steal the car, etc. and the kicker is that after that's all said and done......your key willn't start the car anymore. but an even easier way to take the car....FLATBED......do anything and everything you can think of to deter theft...but if they want it enough they will be able to take it.
5150crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 16th, 2005, 04:10 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to 5150crx
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_V6
hmm.. anyone know if that's true? If not, I'll definitely be covering mine up.

who cartes if it's illegal....I'd give ten buck to the first person to get a ticket for that by a cop that actually knows the code for that violation
5150crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 16th, 2005, 05:07 PM   #11
Tofu Delivery Boy

Send a message via AIM to The_Tofu_Shop
technically it is illegal to cover your vin number....dont remember the code...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Andy 2
SoCal Pride

G-Spec Points: 40
The_Tofu_Shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 16th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #12
JB4 e92

I've heard that most of the import car thieves have been getting VIN numbers of cars around my area. Of course, someone on the inside was probably working in on this.

My friend has a fixed up Integra GSR and he was leaving the gym one day and spotted a guy just about to open his driver's door with a key. (He ran off...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tofu_Shop
technically it is illegal to cover your vin number....dont remember the code...
Hmm, I didn't know that. Mine is covered.
clean2draccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 17th, 2005, 12:48 PM   #13
Drop Dead Gorgeous

Send a message via AIM to Aztro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray01
yes delearship's can make a key with just having your vin number, not sure if it has to be the delear u bought ur car from or all "honda" delears.
but u still need identity and proof of ownership
if they do get a key, they still cant start it cause of the immobilizer
If you are getting a key from a Honda dealer then the key will work. I know that because when I bought my car and had a tune up before I drove it, the shop lost my keys. So they first tried to go the regular route, get a key from a normal shop. While it turned my trunk, it didn't start my car. But when they got it to Honda, they made me a new original key. So if the theives somehow got the key from a dealer, then immobilizer or not, you're screwed.
Aztro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 18th, 2005, 09:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztro
If you are getting a key from a Honda dealer then the key will work. I know that because when I bought my car and had a tune up before I drove it, the shop lost my keys. So they first tried to go the regular route, get a key from a normal shop. While it turned my trunk, it didn't start my car. But when they got it to Honda, they made me a new original key. So if the theives somehow got the key from a dealer, then immobilizer or not, you're screwed.
That's not true because when I had my key cut through my VIN number they still needed an old key to program the immobilizer. The car will not start without the immobilizer code being programmed into the key.
KiDFuZioN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.