Accord V6 Forum banner

DIY: Improve AV6 Motor Mounts

88K views 160 replies 87 participants last post by  accord07white 
#1 · (Edited)
Hard launches with FWD vehicles using performance tires and upgraded power often stress both motor and transmission mounts which cause the drivetrain movements resulting in wheelhop, loss of traction and yes loss of power.

This is a solution to take your OEM motor/tranny mounts to the next level and it only cost $5 + your labor. The benefit of this design is additional strength despite it's flexibility, thanks to a polyurethane.

Keep in mind this method won't deliver the same results as solid polyurethane inserts or complete custom mounts, however it's definitely better than your stock units even if you have a brand new set.

The stock mounts have gaps which allow the center of the mount to move up and down excessively, so by using polyurethane you can fill those gaps to restore worn out mounts, reduce unwanted motor assembly movement and deliver more power to the ground.

Premixed polyurethane can be purchased at Menards or Home Depot for $5 a tube (I chose Menards due to available black color). This sealant designed for different purpose of course :D, however it works with metal and rubber, so that's all we need. In addition, it withstands any weather condition and high temperature. And 1 tube is enough to fill 2 tranny and 3 motor mounts (front, side, rear).

All engine/tranny mounts should be removed prior to use the polyurethane and if unable you can lift the engine and fill them up that way (not much convenient but it works). This source is not a liquid (more like tooth paste) so no duct tape necessary to cover the other end, just use a cardboard underneath when you fill them up. Place all mounts outside and let them sit on the sun for 8 hours or so each day to harden the solution faster. You can start using mounts after 24-30 hours.

Enjoy!

See less See more
#78 · (Edited)
fluidjay and Kuya the polyurethane used isn't a fluid, LOL. It's like a paste Serge said and just fill them carefully and it's not like going to expand after. Let it sit for 24 hours.

Here is the final pics as posted on page 1 ;) See the stock rubber present in passenger side mount (second from right), so just fill your stockers unless they crap or buy new ones and fill them up the same way.

#83 ·
Kuya Master said:
Those that have done this, how much of an increase in vibration?

I had a major vibration problem when I used after market engine mounts from ebay. I finally just bought honda motor mounts (with the place for the tube to plug in) and I was back to smooth. So smooth I can't tell if the engine was on.

After my experience with this, I would not pay someone to install my mounts 2 times and just bought new mounts from honda.

#89 ·
u guys wana get mounts call innovative speak to tim or creg i paid 378.00 shipped with black not red polyuthene mounts there number is 17145793591 tell them alex m sent u they are the best mounts and will hold ur engine like a rock. This company started making them for accords finally. Before they were making only for civic integras etc. They got different strengh 65a 75a 85 a and 95a dippending on ur hp and tq they will ask what ur current hp and tq. I went with black one cause i am producing like 300
+ thanks gang

#92 ·
I think my mounts have gone bad, I had a front engine mount replaced when my transmission was rebuilt but I can still feel my transmission shifting gears, it jerks.
All 5 is the best.
However, http://www.innovativemounts.com manufacture solid 3 mounts (for now) of hardness of your choice and I wish I had that option when I created this DIY thread. The info is above who to contact and would highly recommmend to go this route which stops both engine and transmission hectic movement.

#91 ·
Where is your shop and can you do for this for me :D

I think my mounts have gone bad, I had a front engine mount replaced when my transmission was rebuilt but I can still feel my transmission shifting gears, it jerks.

#94 ·
they will but don't think "annoying" word comes to mind. there should be a break-in cycle though.

#96 ·
Call them - 3 available (F/R and side).

#99 ·
OK so I am going to do the poly on two new mounts i Just bought, rear and side one... my mechanic friend said not to do it however, he said it might provide temporary fix however will cause other problems in the future??

but im going to do it anyways since i don't want anymore engine lifting up from the god damn car... so sick and tired of the engine vibrations and movement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.