• Yes, once

Votes: 196 72.6%
  • Yes, more than once

Votes: 74 27.4%

Offical J30 Dead Transmission Thread

102K views 493 replies 289 participants last post by  petenjeanie 
#1 ·
Please make sticky.

I would like to keep track of how many people's transmissions went out on their 98-02 Honda Accords. I know there are alot of us out there that this has happend to. Please make the vote. ANd tell the horror story if you like.

Thanks
Brandon

#258 ·
what The Heck Is Wrong W/ Ur Pole? There Is No Option C.....never Died Option?????? Going On 217,000 Miles Soon And Still Driving W/ Original Trans Since New In 1998! Fix Your Pole, Then I Know I Can Vote For Option C!!!!!!!!!!!

#260 ·
My tranny is slipping... car is at 143 000 miles / 230 000 km... I am the 3rd owner and I didn't know about this problem with Honda's before I bought the car... now I am stuck with this bad transmission which pisses me off!

#265 · (Edited)
Early Christmas Gift

Well guess what my Honda gave me for Christmas? A F****ed transmission! I had been having problems for over a year when the engine was cold. But once it warmed up everything was fine.. up until about two weeks ago (Dec 17th). The car started slipping and dropping gears while driving and thats when the Check engine light came on. So I took it in to honda and they want 2800 for a replacement.. So after a week of not driving the car I took it out today to see what it would do and basically found myself driving on the side of the road with my hazards on because the car wont even get over 30mph without hitting the redline.. and my D4 light doesnt even light up anymore... SO i guess i need to have it replaced... but I will definately sell my car after this.. after all the money i put into it and this is the thanks I get lol.. So at 126,530 miles, my car is officially dead! Very disappointed in Honda! :mad:

#269 ·
Well guess what my Honda gave me for Christmas? A F****ed transmission! I had been having problems for over a year when the engine was cold. But once it warmed up everything was fine.. up until about two weeks ago (Dec 17th). The car started slipping and dropping gears while driving and thats when the Check engine light came on. So I took it in to honda and they want 2800 for a replacement.. So after a week of not driving the car I took it out today to see what it would do and basically found myself driving on the side of the road with my hazards on because the car wont even get over 30mph without hitting the redline.. and my D4 light doesnt even light up anymore... SO i guess i need to have it replaced... but I will definately sell my car after this.. after all the money i put into it and this is the thanks I get lol.. So at 126,530 miles, my car is officially dead! Very disappointed in Honda! :mad:

Ok im just responding to my own post here. I actually got my car back today.. Honda gave me goodwill and I only ended up spending 1700 dollars... I just hope this new one lasts a few more years at least..

#266 ·
My wifes 2000 Accord SE's (4 cyl) transmission started to slip 2 weeks before Christmas. We bought the car new. I called American Honda before I went to the dealer. They logged it in and contacted the dealer ahead of time. I brought it in and they diagnosed it as needing a transmission. The service manager called me back and said Honda is going to pay for the replacement 100%. This car just turned 8 years old and has 98k miles on it. I'm not impressed with the crappy transmission (I did six drain and refills in 98k miles) but I am impressed with Honda wanting to take care of me. We'll see how it goes. They evidently have to order a replacement transmission and ship it in. There must me something really bad wrong with these 2000 models.

#267 ·
i had to change mine at 60,000 kilometers approx 38000 miles.warned the dealer about it slipping especially going from park to drive and the bloody thing taking 2-4 seconds to engage.then i'd be driving and the thing would rev til a bit past redline before shifting.dealer toldme it was normal and that i wasn't being patient...i'm young not stoopid.sure enough 3 months later i get into a car accident (unrelated;black ice).they fix the car and then tell me that they have to change the tranny but it was not related to the accident and i have to pay for it.Why? because apparently i hadn't done my first tranny flush.the car was originally my mom's and she wanted it dealer maintained for warranty reaons...clever girl.the car was at the dealer every 3months for maintenance.so we called Honda Canada and told them that they were negligent as they have everything on file and are supposed to be offering peace of mind at 85$/hr.sure enough they paid for the swap and we had a new (supposedly) transmission.sorry for the novel;just wanted to share.

#268 ·
Has anyone had trouble with the torque convertor? My tranny isnt slipping [revving up and then clunking into gear] but sometimes when the car is cold it will 'bog down' [rev low but not misfiring] when i first try to accelerate. Did i diagnose this wrong? it drives fine so i dont have to do anything immediately but eventually something should be done.

#270 ·
Going to add myself to the list,

The car is in the shop. 112k miles
(original tranny that came with the car)

The very nice Honda Corp is paying a very good portion..
more than 50%.. can't say anymore.

Will add tranny cooler this time around :)

#273 ·
02 accord v6 3.2 cl-s swap auto tranny leak from axle seal replaced it many times i think my tranny is about to go and we need to do something about it sue the honda motors inc. or what ever they are called they need to extend the warranty to 100,000 miles for ppl that have it and for ppl that dont they need to refund for it cause if we get it done at ammco or other shops we need to get our money back thanks gang

#277 ·
Hi,guys. I am new to this forum. I am going to by 01' Accord v6 , but after reading this post I really hesitate to do this. Looks like every owner of these vehicles faces transmission problem sooner or later. Are there people who can say "I never had this problem and now I am over 1xx,xxx miles and it still runs great"? Do I have chances to escape transmission rebuild and what my chances are? Those 2% failure rate stated by Honda in 2002 is definitely not true.
The car I am going to buy has 1 owner, plenty of scheduled service records in Carfax and only 51k on it. It drives very good, engine purrs and tranny shifts smooth and fast.
Looking forward to hear happy stories.
Thanks.

#279 ·
I've been reading around the lawsuit stuff, and im kinda pissed i missed it. I haven't been a member in the forum to long, so it wouldn't have mattered any way. I have a 98 v6, and im at around 86,000 miles. I'm getting the slipping, and it sucks accelerating. Any suggestions to maybe slow down or stop my tranny from blowing out?

#288 ·
- I suggest replacing your trans fluid on every other or every 3rd oil change... if you do it your self its only around $12.00 extra and if your at 86,000 depending on the owner it may not have been done yet. This should get rid of most of that slip feel if you haven't done it in a while. Also the trans fluid is in my opinion easier to replace then the oil.
- Another suggestion is letting the car warm up before pushing it to hard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.