Serious Lawsuit against Honda of America being filed - Page 3 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 29th, 2003, 06:23 PM   #61

I just bought my 99 accord v6 coupe with 90K miles 6 months ago and now my tranny went cuz I have massive slippage and I just broke 100K miles. dealership told me I had to pay $5,500 for a new tranny. I got pissed off and decided to sell this car and get a WRX but when I left the car home for a weekend my dad took it to a shop and got it rebuilt for $3800 with a 3 yr warranty. I'm furious that he did that, and I'm furious that this piece of sh*t tranny went when honda's are expected to go so long. My car was slipping every few minutes and when I put it on reverse my car would stall out if it wasn't warmed up. My rotors are messed up, fixed some minor tranny problems twice already, CD player is a piece of sh*t and broken, i have an ignition problem that Honda replaced becuz of factory recall but NOW ITs back again, have some air sensor thing messed up, and the damn passenger seat railing is messed up. WTF!!!!!!! GOD I WANNA GET RID OF THIS PIECE OF SH*T
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2003, 11:45 AM   #62
(H)

Send a message via AIM to lazy accord
mines a 2001 2dr. accord v6, has a little over 35K miles on it and i'm taking it to get the new transmission installed in about an hour, should be ready tom. after lunch or so i was told. i was given no hassle at all by the dealer, they drove it, agreed that there was something wrong with it and ordered the new tranny, no questions asked. i hope the new one lasts a little longer...

edit* and i love this car, the transmission issue is a little disheartening but knowing that i get free tranny replacements until i hit 100k miles is a little reassuring.

dad's friend owns an engine shop and he may hook us up with a pair of superchargers (one for the accord and one for my dad's nsx) from comptech at dealer cost, so i might be boosting on this new tranny sometime in the future

Last edited by lazy accord; November 3rd, 2003 at 11:51 AM..
lazy accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 18th, 2003, 09:18 PM   #63
Jigga!

Send a message via AIM to jgold47
Is austin still collecting this information....
jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old November 19th, 2003, 01:29 AM   #64

again is he still collecting info because my tranny just took a dump and hond wont do anything
V6Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 19th, 2003, 10:04 AM   #65
import tuner and rn

yeah , all u have to do is email him and he will be happy to take ur info
eolife22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 11th, 2004, 08:41 AM   #66

Send a message via AIM to imfillinit
i am starting to feel my tranny slip too. it is under warranty by the dealer. if it does go, should the dealer cover it with aftermarket parts? or can he bull **** me with some crap saying that the aftermarket parts damaged the tranny causing it to break or something like that?
imfillinit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 22nd, 2004, 01:51 PM   #67
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Originally posted by imfillinit on January 11th, 2004 at 09:41 AM

i am starting to feel my tranny slip too. it is under warranty by the dealer. if it does go, should the dealer cover it with aftermarket parts? or can he bull **** me with some crap saying that the aftermarket parts damaged the tranny causing it to break or something like that?
What kind of mods do you have? Honda can void your warranty because of mods if it wants so if your tranny dies, you might want to swap back to stock.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 03:46 PM   #68

i just have intake exhaust throttle body spacer and pulleys...could they void it cuz of that?
Old January 22nd, 2004, 06:00 PM   #69
import tuner and rn

aw man pullies , definitely going to give u problems
Old February 1st, 2004, 02:39 AM   #70

Send a message via AIM to SOHCit2me
as long as the mods doesn't affect the transmission *directly* it wont matter.
SOHCit2me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 1st, 2004, 08:32 AM   #71
import tuner and rn

yeah but they will probably tell him that he put an extra load on the tranny, honda is full of it , they will say anything to not give u one
Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:53 PM   #72
Suhhhh

Send a message via AIM to Darkcrime
Depends on the dealer. I've been through 3 trannies. I've got Headers, Intake, Pullies, Plugs. They didn't say anything at all. What color are your Pullies? I got polished so it wasn't something very noticeable. Anyhow, good luck
Darkcrime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 3rd, 2004, 09:45 AM   #73
import tuner and rn

damn 3 trannies , that is ridiculous
Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:30 PM   #74
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Yea it is And he's got an '02 like me This doesn't look good at all. If my tranny fails after my warranty is up and Honda refuses to fix it, they're gonna get own3d.
TH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 3rd, 2004, 03:40 PM   #75
Suhhhh

Send a message via AIM to Darkcrime
Yeah... 3 dead trannies (on my 4th trans right now). I went through 1 gear box as well... We took it up with Honda America. At first, it seemed as if they weren't going to be very helpful... After the first week of dealing with them, everything went better. The problem with the trans's, are that they keep putting in refurbished trans's into the cars when they break. Finally, they gave me a "NEW" trans (the best Honda makes, they said)... We'll see what's going on... So far the car run's great... I put it up for sale though... I'm paying too much $$$ for a car that went through this much crap!
Darkcrime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 3rd, 2004, 07:03 PM   #76
import tuner and rn

thats why i refuse to pay for a honda trans , its either conversion or the v6p tranny
Old February 8th, 2004, 04:08 AM   #77

wow.. i've had my 98 accord for a long long time now and i'm at about 135k miles on it!!! my tranny has just recently start to have problems with slippage. I got the car REALLY USED (100k miles) and there wasnt any problem for the last two years i've had the car. well that was until i recently put in intakes and pullies. how are you guys driving your cars? are you guys just mashing out all the time or what? well i want to go have my transmission checked soon at a dealer but how should i approach them or should i say, what would be the best way to approach them?

something else: how often do you have to replace the tranny fluid and is a tranny flush good for the car? i was planning to clean out my transmission with sea foam trans motor whatever its called then have a transmission flush awhile later and have a tranny cooler installed after i put in new fluid. sounds good or no?
airswipes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 8th, 2004, 04:19 AM   #78

alright...well i was asking all of you guys if u thought honda would void my warranty. Well, it turns out they didn't. I'm still under warranty, and only have 34299 miles on my car! Only preformance mods are intake, exhaust, and TB spacer. Man i hate honda for making this ****** tranny. can i do anything about this and complain to honda? you think they will even respond if i send them a letter saying how mad i am for my trany to go in such a short time?
Old February 9th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #79
Got navi?

Send a message via ICQ to Fuggedaboutid Send a message via AIM to Fuggedaboutid Send a message via Yahoo to Fuggedaboutid
Quote:
Originally posted by Darkcrime
I don't want to "force" the lemon law... however, I am hoping to have it done so I don't have to deal with this **** anymore. The sad thing is that I'm from Detroit, Michigan. Mostly Domestics. Just about all of my friends have domestics. They Ripped on me for my slow car (and the fact it's an import). The only thing I kept saying is that I have a car that'll last. Now I can't even say that....

Maybe I'm better off with a Domestic... I'll have better Intrest rates, plus just about any car I choose will be faster.
Seriously. My dad had a Chrysler product, a 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE w/3.8L V6. THose cars are notorious for trannies too but.. funny thing is, it's a 1994 product and the tranny gave way at 125000km = 75000mi whereas my tranny on my 2001 Accord V6 died today, RIP Feb 9, 2004 @ 102000km = 61000mi. Funny thing is, the Domestic actually lasted longer. I should have bought a Toyota Camry or Lexus LS430. Or even a Cadillac sts or Mercedes S-Class, chances are I'd have had better luck with those.

To make you feel better, we have a 1999 Odyssey too, which we ironically got b4 the Accord v6, it has an extension on the tranny too but has more km's/mi's than my Accord.

Although I must admit Honda Canada has really been reasonable with me the whole way. I have had the following problems on my AV6 to date since new:

1. OPDS sensor failed at 30,000km or 18k mi
2. A/C warm + caused idle fluctuations at about 20000km to 80000km
3. Alternator at 48000km or 28500 mi
4. A/C compressor clutch at 65000km or about 40k mi
5. EGR valve clogging - CEL light and TCS light on at 80-85k km or 48k mi
6. Transmission drove rough since 90k km now CEL and TCS light on again but this time with D4 light flashing at 102500km or 61000 mi.

I think you get the idea here.
Honda has agreed to look at things on a case by case basis for my situation in future. That is no consolation and I doubt I'd ever buy another Honda/Acura again. I might get a Toyota, Mercedes or GM product but nothing else.

Last edited by Fuggedaboutid; February 9th, 2004 at 02:41 PM..
Fuggedaboutid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2004, 02:40 PM   #80
Something Something Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Doom
Quote:
Originally posted by Fuggedaboutid on February 9th, 2004 at 02:58 PM

Seriously. My dad had a Chrysler product, a 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE w/3.8L V6. THose cars are notorious for trannies too but.. funny thing is, it's a 1994 product and the tranny gave way at 125000km = 75000mi whereas my tranny on my 2001 Accord V6 died today, RIP Feb 9, 2004 @ 102000km = 61000mi. Funny thing is, the Domestic actually lasted longer. I should have bought a Toyota Camry or Lexus LS430. Or even a Cadillac sts or Mercedes S-Class, chances are I'd have had better luck with those.

To make you feel better, we have a 1999 Odyssey too, which we ironically got b4 the Accord v6, it has an extension on the tranny too but has more km's/mi's than my Accord.
Not everyone has those options. Especially the LS430 and Benz.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Doom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2004, 02:47 PM   #81
Got navi?

Send a message via ICQ to Fuggedaboutid Send a message via AIM to Fuggedaboutid Send a message via Yahoo to Fuggedaboutid
Quote:
Originally posted by Doom
Not everyone has those options. Especially the LS430 and Benz.
Agreed, and I must also admit that the Accord v6 and Camry v6 do everything almost as competently or only with a tiny bit of a trade off that the Benz S class or Lexus LS430 do. I mean to say, Accord V6 and Camry V6 are great cars but, with things going on like trannies, etc why bother. I don't know what it is about me but, I generally feel that the bigger cars are more reliable compared to products from the same manufacturer.
Old February 9th, 2004, 03:49 PM   #82

You'll be surprised. M3's, 5 series, and X5s were blowing motors and catching fire.
Old February 9th, 2004, 04:31 PM   #83
Got navi?

Quote:
Originally posted by Doom
You'll be surprised. M3's, 5 series, and X5s were blowing motors and catching fire.
Ah, so that explains why BMW had a recall on the cooling system for those models lol.

I'd believe in recalls more than just warranty extensions though. That's b/c, a recall puts pressure to make a safer and likely better part. I don't know if our trannies could qualify as a recall item though even though many ppl on ACura-TL.com have had their cars go from 4th gear to 2nd on the highway.
Old February 10th, 2004, 01:37 AM   #84

can someone answer my friggin questions?
airswipes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 10th, 2004, 08:06 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally posted by airswipes on February 8th, 2004 at 05:08 AM

wow.. i've had my 98 accord for a long long time now and i'm at about 135k miles on it!!! my tranny has just recently start to have problems with slippage. I got the car REALLY USED (100k miles) and there wasnt any problem for the last two years i've had the car. well that was until i recently put in intakes and pullies. how are you guys driving your cars? are you guys just mashing out all the time or what? well i want to go have my transmission checked soon at a dealer but how should i approach them or should i say, what would be the best way to approach them?
Some of the guys don't mash it at all and baby the car and it still brakes. I have 60k so I'm due to break soon but this is what I do.

1. Wait for the tranny to shift before accelerating when going from Park to Drive to Reverse etc.
2. I rarely rarely floor the car.
3. When you accelerate and let off the gas don't hit the gas right away or else the car will rev up without moving. You have to like pause a second.

This does NOT mean the tranny won't break but I think this helps.

Quote:
something else: how often do you have to replace the tranny fluid and is a tranny flush good for the car? i was planning to clean out my transmission with sea foam trans motor whatever its called then have a transmission flush awhile later and have a tranny cooler installed after i put in new fluid. sounds good or no?
Quote:
This is all over the tranny forum. Go hunt for it.
EDIT: Don't know why this is bold.

Old February 11th, 2004, 01:34 PM   #86

Any updates on this lawsuit?

Honda gonna do a recall? They gonna include 98 and 99? Anything?
streetxdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 12th, 2004, 05:04 PM   #87
Got navi?

Do you think it is reasonable for me to boycott Honda by not buying any more in the future assuming that all of their products are lousy?

or Should I put Vinyl lettering on my Honda say "Honda makes lousy trannies, watch out?"

I really like the way the Civic drives though so I am lost. I also like the Acura 1.7 EL as it is a super luxurious civic and gets good gas mileage.

I guess I'll get a VW Passat TDI 130hp/247ft-lb or a Toyota Camry V6 (3.0 or 3.3). Honda's automatic Accord/Odyssey tranny just plain old sucks.
Old February 26th, 2004, 05:19 PM   #88
Future Dentist

Send a message via AIM to Landshark
Yeah, the mod issue still confuses me. I really think Honda can void your warranty if you have installed certain after-market products. Sorry to say, but you can't blame Honda if you put on parts that will greatly affect your tranmission. HOWEVER, I do not know what effects some of these modifications will have on our tranmissions; I have a CAI, Exhaust Headers, and a catback system. I just can't see how Honda would fix my transmission problems. YES, my tranmission slips and lags and shifts extremely rough and it sucks and I know something is wrong with is, especially because I only have 33k miles on it....but I have no idea what effects these parts have on the transmission. Anyone help me out? Would I be elegible for a new transmission, despite my modifications? I don't want my tranmission to die on me down the road, but if my problems are caused from my modifications, then its my own fault.
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2004, 08:02 PM   #89

Man, get Scott Petersons lawyer over here 4 us. Honda just replaced my trans and my car still feels like crap... like i'm driving a 1988 ford taurus with 150k miles up hill on a 100 degree summer day. Thats why i think a class action lawsuit should be filed. Honda is really trying to keep this problem on the down low too. I knew that our trans sucks b4 they replaced it. the tech i spoke to said oh he doesnt see why mine blew. what makes me mad the most is they dont replace them with honda trans. its aftermarket sh_t. I can pay the difference of 2300 if i wanted a honda one. Good thing 30000 mi or 3 year warr on this new one.

back 2 honda I go.
All in All at least we're not driving fords

peace
Old February 26th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #90
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

so how's that lawsuit going? Any progress? Is there even a CASE?
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.