Serious Lawsuit against Honda of America being filed - Page 5 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2004, 04:55 AM   #121
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Originally posted by HONDA_99 on April 22nd, 2004 at 10:55 AM

you forgot 5gen AV6 to list; I know its Legend G1 stuff in it.
Oops , yea I meant to include the 5th gen AV6 which I'm pretty sure had the G2 Legend tranny in it.

Quote:
BTW, did anybody noticed that high rate failures only happens with transmission mated to engine with VTEC?
I never thought of it that way but now that you mention it, that does seem to be the case, doesn't it?
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:02 AM   #122
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Quote:
Originally posted by TH23 on April 23rd, 2004 at 05:55 AM

I never thought of it that way but now that you mention it, that does seem to be the case, doesn't it?

But I'm sure itís just a coincidence. The transmissions are not failing because the engine has Vtec in it .
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:29 AM   #123

I think it has something to do with VTEC.

Remember two guys with turbo (LIAccord and other), both of them had almost immediate (in one or two month) problem with transmissions, but guys with superchargers (we have plenty of them) who put close to 20K ml on supercharger and have no problems with transmission.

Difference between turbocharger and supercharger that power from supercharger come out very linear, when power from turbocharger come out as spike. Power curve on engines with VTEC also spiky (as with turbocharger), it goes up rapidly upon VTEC engagement.
HONDA_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 23rd, 2004, 10:19 PM   #124
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Hmmm, never thought about it like that. It's a possibility but IMO the transmission should still be able to handle the VTEC spike .
Old April 23rd, 2004, 10:22 PM   #125
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Since the supercharged guys actually have TORQUE that means less prodding and constant downshifting in daily grind traffic like in an NA J30A1. That puts less strain on the clutch packs which are the primary weak spot in the tranny.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm........

Save your tranny, but a supercharger.

The scary thing is, there might actually be some truth to that.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 24th, 2004, 12:37 AM   #126
Something Something Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Doom
I thought torque was hurting it since torque produces heat.
Doom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 24th, 2004, 09:24 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally posted by Doom

SC'ed AV6 have tranny coolers to reduce heat.
Old April 24th, 2004, 09:30 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally posted by SteVTEC on April 23rd, 2004 at 11:22 PM

Since the supercharged guys actually have TORQUE that means less prodding and constant downshifting in daily grind traffic like in an NA J30A1. That puts less strain on the clutch packs which are the primary weak spot in the tranny.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm........

Save your tranny, but a supercharger.

The scary thing is, there might actually be some truth to that.

So, instead of buying Dr. Evil transmission for $4500 everybody should get them self a Comptech supercharger for $3300.

Isnít it hilarious way to save money?

Old April 24th, 2004, 10:01 AM   #129

Quote:
According to EricL's analysis of that 1000 page document that Honda sent to the NHTSA (A-CL.com), all of the kickdowns and shifts under load are what put so much strain on the tranny. It's all the shifting and not necessarily the power.
Old April 24th, 2004, 10:41 AM   #130
Got navi?

Send a message via ICQ to Fuggedaboutid Send a message via AIM to Fuggedaboutid Send a message via Yahoo to Fuggedaboutid
Either the VTEC causes a surge of power to enter the tranny or that the 195lb-ft of torque is too much for the tranny. I just wonder how Toyota and Fords with 200lb-ft+ don't have tranny failures as much as we do!

It is a freeking joke to have a tranny go in less than 6yrs/12500mi. I can understand if netural drops caused a problem or if going 100mph and shifting into gear 1 or 2, but having failures on cars which are not driving in this manner should not cause such horrible failures.
Fuggedaboutid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 24th, 2004, 12:56 PM   #131

So if shifts are bad then maybe the new 5 speed autos are worse off.
Old April 24th, 2004, 01:19 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally posted by Fuggedaboutid
Either the VTEC causes a surge of power to enter the tranny or that the 195lb-ft of torque is too much for the tranny. I just wonder how Toyota and Fords with 200lb-ft+ don't have tranny failures as much as we do!
Poor clutch packs, too many 3-2 kickdowns under load causing severe overheating, and poor/inconsistent ATF (cooling) running through the trannys which means even a tranny cooler might not help. Go read the big thread that EricL posted at acura-cl.com
Old April 24th, 2004, 01:21 PM   #133

Quote:
So if shifts are bad then maybe the new 5 speed autos are worse off.
But the new ones have ETC to cut throttle on shifts so maybe not. Before they just cut ignition timing. It still sounds like more of a bandaid though. They're still struggling as evidenced by the recent recall on the Pilot/Odyssey and MDX. Toyota/Nissan have been building sturdy auto trannys for years without needing ETC or any "special" super duty clutch packs.
Old April 24th, 2004, 08:35 PM   #134
Got navi?

Send a message via ICQ to Fuggedaboutid Send a message via AIM to Fuggedaboutid Send a message via Yahoo to Fuggedaboutid
What really sucks is that the V6 Accord, even to this day, doesn't have manual (only 2003+ V6 Coupe has it optional) tranny available or even a decent quality automatic. Instead of bad mouthing it, I just want the tranny to last at least the life of the car if not the life of the car, at least 270,000+kms(170000mi+).
Fuggedaboutid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 28th, 2004, 06:46 PM   #135

I have a 99 with almost 90,000 miles. All the sudden I started experiencing tranny problems. I barely made it to my local dealership which is 30 miles away. They checked it out and told me i need a new tranny. So they called there honda rep and they are giving me a new tranny, just i have to pay for labor which is only $565. Much better than $3000-5. I lucked out considering they havent even settled the dispuit yet and i have modified my car(CAI, Exhaust, etc..).
SynisterAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 30th, 2004, 05:23 PM   #136

My Transmission replaced at 24,000 miles
and its going out again.
Yesterday I felt it get stuck in a gear wouldn't shift down/up. until i let off the pedal and got back on it.

It also has lag before switching gears.

Im currently at 89,494 miles on a 02 av6.
Variance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 30th, 2004, 06:46 PM   #137
Suhhhh

Send a message via AIM to Darkcrime
Quote:
Originally posted by Variance
My Transmission replaced at 24,000 miles
and its going out again.
Yesterday I felt it get stuck in a gear wouldn't shift down/up. until i let off the pedal and got back on it.

It also has lag before switching gears.

Im currently at 89,494 miles on a 02 av6.
Variance,

More then likely, it's your gearbox. I had 1 trans go at 17,000 miles. Then at 24,000 I had my gearbox (same thing, would be a pain to shift out of first). Then 2 more trannies.

I have an 02 av6 as well.
15.666 I/H/Pullies/Plugs

Old Car: gave the lease up early (Family issues)
2005 Honda Accord 4Cyl 4 Door LX (seeeeeeeeelow. had to buy a house)

OLD Motorcycle:
99 Honda CBR F4 600 - Yellow&Black

2nd Old Motorcycle:
2005 Suzuki 750 GSXR Yellow&Black

New used car:
98 Mustang gt convertable tripple black
Darkcrime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:08 PM   #138

Send a message via AIM to ormand
My 01 Accord 4 cylinder's tranny went out at 28k miles, which was replaced by Factory Warranty. Then, it went out again at 75k mi...same problem, but luckily my car had an extended 100k mi warranty. Now I have reached 101k mi, as of today, and my transmission is fine, but I do worry about it...

The messed up thing is I sold my old 91 Accord because it had tranny problems...never would suspect that I would have 2 TRANSMISSION FAILURES in a BRAND NEW CAR. And I drove it like an old lady!

Still, Im Hardcore Honda ...in another 5 years, Im buying a new Honda (or a used 350Z ;P)
ormand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2004, 04:44 AM   #139

and i thought the 02 supposedly had the fixed transmissions... lol
I have the 100k hondacare warranty. Im thinking of takingin my car but It doesnt act up all the time. only sometimes. So Im thinking they are gonna tell me nothing is wrong with my car.
Variance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2004, 06:52 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally posted by ormand on April 30th, 2004 at 09:08 PM

My 01 Accord 4 cylinder's tranny went out at 28k miles, which was replaced by Factory Warranty. Then, it went out again at 75k mi...same problem, but luckily my car had an extended 100k mi warranty. Now I have reached 101k mi, as of today, and my transmission is fine, but I do worry about it...

The messed up thing is I sold my old 91 Accord because it had tranny problems...never would suspect that I would have 2 TRANSMISSION FAILURES in a BRAND NEW CAR. And I drove it like an old lady!

Still, Im Hardcore Honda ...in another 5 years, Im buying a new Honda (or a used 350Z ;P)
I4 00-01 are covered in the extra Honda warranty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 1st, 2004, 08:11 PM   #141
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Doom on May 1st, 2004 at 07:52 PM

I4 00-01 are covered in the extra Honda warranty.
It's a 7 year/ 100,000 mile warranty. His car is over that mark so his is no longer under warranty.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 01:19 PM   #142

I know I was just saying since he said he was lucky he had his ext. warranty.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:23 AM   #143

Send a message via AIM to DarkMikaruR99 Send a message via MSN to DarkMikaruR99 Send a message via Yahoo to DarkMikaruR99
Chalk up another one! My tranny started to die thursday night, by Saturday it had done its last gear change. This is getting bad man. Something has to be done. Either give us reliable trannies or free repair for the life of the car or as long as we own it. This is nuts. I wasnt even driving it hard. Just plain sad.
DarkMikaruR99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:26 PM   #144
ccord cuzzer

Send a message via AIM to accordin
my tranny is gonna be swapped this week, i had really bad gear shift kiks, erratic downshifts, life threatening tranny slips, its weird how sometimes the the tranny goes from first to third in a matter of seconds, and other times i would take for ever to get out of second and kik the sh*t out of my car on its shift to 3rd i got 86,000 on my v6 00 Accord coupe. im still driven on it now. the honda guys are being really cool im getting it done free of charge they ordered it yesterday the 3rd of may, it should be in on thursday. Lets just hope this tranny lasts me another 5 years
accordin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #145

Of course free of charge. It's under extended warranty.
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:32 AM   #146

Send a message via AIM to 99accordguy
accordin wrote (Post #144 of 145)

"my tranny is gonna be swapped this week, i had really bad gear shift kiks, erratic downshifts, life threatening tranny slips, its weird how sometimes the the tranny goes from first to third in a matter of seconds, and other times i would take for ever to get out of second and kik the sh*t out of my car on its shift to 3rd i got 86,000 on my v6 00 Accord coupe. im still driven on it now. the honda guys are being really cool im getting it done free of charge they ordered it yesterday the 3rd of may, it should be in on thursday. Lets just hope this tranny lasts me another 5 years"

I have the same problem, 87k on my 99 av6 and they are replacing it today. But i have to pay for labor ($600) - sucks
there is one year warranty on that new tranny.
99accordguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:40 PM   #147
2 Fast..One Furious

Quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Heretic
hey i have contacted that lawfirm about helping us 98-99s get in, he said we are in, and me and him are going to chat on the phone later about this, so please let me know if you have a 98-99 w/problems or you think there is going to be
i sent an email to the firm...no response yet, do you have a number?

Modifications:
18" Helo Teases
custom brake pedal
chrome exhaust tips
20% black tint
custom wood grain
honda rubber mats
added moonroof visor
geniune splash guards
LEFOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:50 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally posted by REbornHONDAneer on May 19th, 2004 at 10:33 PM

why the heck do u have to pay labor? isnt ur model covered under warranty?

Dave
00-01 only.

Old May 28th, 2004, 02:45 PM   #149

Send a message via ICQ to lakersgo
Angry

Well, I feel obliged to add my story to this thread after getting an estimate of $3200 for rebuilding my tranny!!!!! I have a 98 Honda Accord LX-V6 with 84K miles on it. The tranny is now shifting very roughly and the downshift is often a clear "kluck" sound underneath the seat. From reading this thread, I know 00-01 are covered under the extended warranty, is there any news for 98-99 accord? Please someone let me know $3200 is a lot of money to me.
Old May 28th, 2004, 03:50 PM   #150
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by lakersgo on May 28th, 2004 at 03:45 PM

is there any news for 98-99 accord? Please someone let me know $3200 is a lot of money to me.
No change, which pisses me off since I have a 99 AV6 . Honda might goodwill you a tranny and you just have to pay for labor. But you would have to call up Honda and state your case to them and see if they will do it. A few members here have had this done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.