Accord V6 Forum banner

Fixing falling headliner

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  AccordFire 
#1 ·
I know this is a common problem in Florida since I'm a Honda tech and see many cars at the dealership... The headliner on our cars have a thin foam layer between the cloth and structural back board that breaks down over time and causes the headliner cloth to fall down. I'd like to remove my headliner and strip that foam then re-wrap my headliner with new cloth material. Curious if anyone has done this and has a recommendation for removing the foam layer from the backboard. I considered pressure washer in the sun then a blow gun to help dry it off. Just not sure it it'll handle the water.
After that I may wrap it in suede, desert camo cloth, plaid... I dunno something crafty but not obnoxious or distracting.

#2 ·
I did this on a Civic and had the same plan as you until I tried to remove the foam and realized it was gonna be a real pain. I left the foam on. I bought some automotive interior fabric from an online place.

For the adhesive, there is 3M spray which I tried but think the results were mixed and if I recall correctly I ended up starting over and using contact cement, but had to be careful not to press too hard while installing and have the orange glue squeeze through the fabric and leave stains.

The end result was pretty good overall. There were a few small bubbles and inconsistencies but not noticeable unless looking for them.

Later I used some of the extra fabric to wrap the armrest.

#4 ·
Well, since I experienced this very same issue a year ago and replaced my fabric with a fleece material I picked up in Wallyworld, I can tell you that removing the foam was a bit tedious but worth the trouble. I used a plastic spreader (wide putty knife) to scrape the crappy foam off, sprayed the 3m adhesive and then laid down the fleece. Been good since then.

#8 ·
My next mod is to fully wrap the headliner and 3 pillars on each side in tan Alcantara. I am going to also replace the front and rear seat covers with all tan extasy leather from leatherseats.com.

I suggest anybody looking to do an interior upgrade/renovation do the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.