Ultimate V6 maintenance guide - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD FAQ
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 31st, 2012, 03:25 PM   #1

Ultimate V6 maintenance guide

I have devised this plan, semi-tailored to the Accord V6. Pretty simple, but the intervals are well thought out and not over the top but yet dont undercut. I find that most Accord owners already use a similar interval. I can edit this and include more detail.

First Im going to attempt to educated on how to chose an oil and why.
--------------------------------
First i would like to disband a common myth. 0w-30, 5w-30, and 10w-30, are all the SAME viscosity at operating temperature.

For simplicity, im gonna use 30 grade oils as my example.

Viscosity Index: A rating on how much an oil with thicken when cold, and thin out when overheated. The higher the better. 0w have a higher VI than 5w or 10w, so it remains thinner when cold.

NOACK%: The volatility of an oil. The lower this number the better.

10w oils start out as a 10 grade and use either high tech base stocks or viscosity index improvers (VII) to obtain a 30 grade at operation temp. Same with 5w starting out as a 5 grade. And 0w starting out with less than a 5 grade. With conventional oils, the base stock has to be pumped with VII to get a 5w to a 30 grade, and a 10w to a 30 grade. These VII polymers are activated with heat. So when the oil is cold, it has the properties of a 5w or 10w. When the oil is heated and the polymers are activated, the oil has properties of a 30 grade.

With synthetics, a high tech base stock can be used to achieve this same effect without the use of polymers. So basically, a 10w30 synthetic uses virtually no polymers making it very shear stable. 5w may use a few polymers, and 0w may use a medium amount of polymer. Not all synthetics are created equal, so certain brands may use more polymer than others.

Their is a positive correlation between NOACK% and Viscosity Index (VI). A oil with a high VI and a high NOACK is chaulked full of polymer, good for DD but not for abuse. An oil with a low VI and a low NOACK indicates an oil with minimal polymer, good for abuse, but not for DD. THEN there are special oils, that have a high VI and a low NOACK. These are your Pennzoil Ultra, Redline, Amsoil Signature, Mobil 1 0w-40, Castrol 0w-30, BMW 5w-30 and a handful of others. The low NOACK indicated minimal polymer, so one can assume that the high VI is achieved through superior base stocks.

Oils full over VII polymer are more prone to shear and breakdown. Hence why the S2000 was specced for 10w-30 conventional, and not 5w-30. But, as i mentioned before, synthetics do not use as much polymer to achieve the VI. Also, even in oils like Eneos Sustina (highest VI oil on the planet) which are FULL of polymer are shear resistant due to the quality of the polymer. This is the same case with the Mobil 1 0w-40 im using.

Ok now that you have a background understanding. Toyota 0w-20 has a HIGH VI of 221. When compared to Mobil 1 5w-20 (VI 160), the Toyota is almost 3x thinner at 0*F. Much quicker oil flow and ease of cranking. Toyota 0w-20 has alot of polymer, however it is pretty shear resistant.

Mobil 1 0w-40 is factory fill in Porsche, Mercedes, Aston, and GT-R, it is also approved for new Corvettes. Even the new SRT cars and Viper us Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40. The 0w-40 is a VERY shear resistant oil (low NOACK) dispite its high VI. The VI is achieved through superior base stocks, not polymer. It has a VI of 185. Since it is BMW LL-01 approved, it is considered a long drain oil. Mobil 1 0w-40 is NOT an "energy conserving" oil, so it is not subject to the ZDDP anti-wear limitations that other EC oils are.

For my usage (autocross), the Toyota 0w-20 is too thin, and the Mobil 1 0w-40 is too thick. So i mix them. In the correct ratio, I get a 0w-30 oil that is the same operating temp viscosity as Mobil 1 5w-30 (VI 172). Except, my oil is 1.6x thinner when 0*F, and will not be subject to thinning out as much due to overheating. AND it has more ZDDP than Mobil 1 5w-30. My blend has a VI of 198.

I am a firm believe in using an oil based on the expected usage of the vehicle. My expected usage dictates that i use a medium thick 30 grade oil.

I would also like to add that both Mobil 1 0w-40 and Toyota 0w-20 are made by ExxonMobil

--------------------------------

Filters:
0-3300 miles (0-4 months): Purolator Classic, Fram Extra Guard, STP, Microguard, DriveWorks
3301-5000 miles (4-6 months): Purolator PureOne, Fram Tough Guard, Wix, Bosch Premium, AC Delco, MotorCraft
5001+ miles (6+ months): Purolator Synthetic, Fram Ultra, Bosch Distance+, Mobil 1 EP, K&N, Royal Purple

Ill Rank my top 3 picks for oil in order
Conventional 5w-20: Castrol GTX, Mobil Super, Pennzoil
Conventional 5w-30: Valvoline Premium or NextGen, Mobil Super, Pennzoil
Conventional 10w-30: Castrol GTX, Mobil Super, Valvoline NextGen, Pennzoil
Synthetic 0w-20: Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1
Synthetic 5w-20: Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Castrol Edge Titanium
Synthetic 0w-30: Mobil 1
Synthetic 5w-30: Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline SynPower, Mobil 1, Quaker State Ultimate Durability
Synthetic 10w-30: Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline SynPower, Mobil Super Synthetic, Quaker State Ultimate Durability.

Ultra High performance synthetics (these generally are more expensive and have unique additive packages and extra-strong base stocks)
0w-20: Redline, Amsoil Signature, Mazda w/ Moly, Toyota Genuine, Subaru.
5w-20: Pennzoil Ultra, Amsoil Signature, Redline
0w-30: Amsoil Signature, Redline
5w-30: Redline, Pennzoil Ultra, Amsoil Signature
10w-30: Pennzoil Ultra, Amsoil Z-Rod, Amsoil Signature, Redline
Standard Royal Purple is not in this group of Ultra High Performance Synthetics. Mainly because it sucks. However, i would expect Royal Purple HPS to fall in this catagory.

My personal blend: 3qt Toyota 0w-20 with 1.5qt Mobil 1 0w-40. Designed for general abuse, drag racing, ect.
More performance (autocross and such): 2qt Toyota 0w-20 with 2.5qt Mobil 1 0w-40.
This oil is designed to give you the best starting ability possible while still ranging from a medium thickness 0w-30, to a thick 0w-30. The 0w is not just for cold weather performance, it also helps the oil resist thinning out when overheated from racing. The Mobil 1 0w-40 has higher than average zinc/phosphorus. Both oils are made by ExxonMobil. For even MORE fun for those who want the best possible oil. Try Mazda w/ Moly 0w-20 OR Eneos Sustina 0w-20, mixed with Redline 0w-40.

Ill be updating this with a little more detail within the next few days.

Post any questions, ill be happy to answer them. Ill also give recommendations on oil, based on the expected usage of the vehicle and your price range.

5,000 or 6 months (conventional) -- For severe usage: 2500-3300
7,500 or 9 months (synthetic) -- For more severe use: 3800-5000
Oil filter
Rotate tires

Power steering fluid -- Just suck the resivour fluid out and replace it with fresh fluid. The purpose is to just slowly change the fluid throughout the life of the car. So when the car is old and has high mileage your P/S wont go out and youll have to pay 1000 bucks to fix it. Instead, spend an extra $1.50 every oil change. This stuff is nasty. Very simple to do. Use Honda fluid only

20,000 or 2 year
Wiper blades -- One thing i never skimp on. For cheapo blades, try 15k or 18 months

30,000 or 3 years:
Engine air filter -- Most of us have a aftermarket open filter intake. Clean this every 15,000 or 12 months.
In-cabin air filter -- HVAC airflow not as good as it used to be? Check your cabin filter behind your glovebox. You can get a replacement for about $8 on eBay.
Automatic transmisson fluid -- After many reading analysis' on ATX fluid, this stuff does not last very long at all. Viscosity does not break down, but there is a serious amount of insolubles. OEM fluid is adequate, Redline, Amsoil, & German Castrol ATX fluid are well above adequate. Increase shift quality and longevity should be expected. A simple drain and fill every 30k/3yr will keep the fluid fresh and clean. Around 3-4qts will come out, each time. There are 7.6qts in the 5-speed auto trans.
Manual transmission oil -- Redline, Amsoil, GMFMS, OEM, Royal Purple. If you want your gears to feel like new, change it. I use Redline due to its superior base stock.
Brake fluid -- Flush or throughly bleed using DOT4 or DOT3. Keeps the lines from accumulating water and keeps the pedal strong.
Clean PCV valve -- Blast it with brake or carb clean until it runs clear. Can help with oil burning issues.
Fuel system cleaner -- Checkout Gumout All-In-One, Techron Concentrate, Redline Si-1, Royal Purple Max-Clean, or Amsoil P.i. The cleaner is fine to use every 7500 miles or so, but if your using a high quality fuel it shouldnt be an issue.

105,000 or 10.5 years:
Spark plugs (Iridium) -- yep, these are expensive. Check on RockAuto and put in the p/n
Timing belt -- Important not to skimp on this with an interference motor, however the normal 7 years is just silly IMO for a sealed belt.
Water pump -- might as well change it when your in there.
Thermostat -- keeping the cooling system in check
Radiator cap -- Make sure you get the right one, easy $8
Automatic transmission filter -- I believe it can be had for $10 at your local auto parts store, its a cartridge. You dont have to drop the pan.
Automatic transmission 3/4 pressure switch -- Not sure on the price, but it ensures quality shifting, recommended by some peeps.
Serpentine belt -- Belts break, easy $29 item.
Clutch fluid -- Yeah, might as well. Use DOT 3 or DOT 4

210,000 or 21 years:
Radiator hoses -- Its rubber, constant heat cycles cause it to breakdown and lose strength. $34

-Nick
Sonnick, vasekvi and tcazes like this.
Sold: 04' Accord 6-6 Coupe, 112k miles: Autocross STX season champion 2013.

Last edited by Randomhero; March 28th, 2013 at 12:12 PM..
Randomhero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2012, 06:20 PM   #2
:// 05 AV6 6MT

Very nice write up Nick. While most of this info is available in the owners manual, what ive not yet seen on V6P is "how to" instructions on maintanence jobs. For example simple stuff as an oil change, spark plugs, manual trans change on 6 speeds.

I was thinking of doing one myself on plugs on my J30A4 and include step by step how to with photos. Ive done them before on my old J30A1 with a distributor system. The ones on the left bank by the firewall where a little awkward to get to.

With the J30A4+ you have a DIS system making it a little more daunting for the average joe who wants to tackle doing plugs on his Accord V6 and save a little money by doing so.
ll Diabolic ll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:39 PM   #3

also like to add Castrol import automatic fluid to the chart. It is semi-syn

For Mt 6spd fluid I recommend Amsoil or GM synchromesh.
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old December 31st, 2012, 10:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88 View Post
also like to add Castrol import automatic fluid to the chart. It is semi-syn

For Mt 6spd fluid I recommend Amsoil or GM synchromesh.
^^^ Agree
Old January 1st, 2013, 04:57 PM   #5

Updated
Old January 1st, 2013, 06:55 PM   #6

Has anyone changed their 7G Accord "fuel strainer"? I'd like to see pics.
gwiffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwiffer View Post
Has anyone changed their 7G Accord "fuel strainer"? I'd like to see pics.
Shouldnt really need it. Same as how our cars dont have a serviceable fuel filter, its built into the fuel pump.
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Diabolic ll View Post
Shouldnt really need it. Same as how our cars dont have a serviceable fuel filter, its built into the fuel pump.
Its a filter, it will manage to get dirty somehow. Ill take a pic of mine when i change it.
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomhero View Post
Its a filter, it will manage to get dirty somehow. Ill take a pic of mine when i change it.
Really? Hmmm Ive never changed it on my old 6G. 200,000 miles ran like day 1 until the auto tragic took a dump. My 7th 6 speed drinks nothing but 92 Chevron Supreme, I think ill be ok
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:11 PM   #10

It's more like a mesh screen then a filter. You need to change out the whole fuel pump assemble, it's suppose to be non serviceable
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 2nd, 2013, 03:19 PM   #11

Quote:
It's more like a mesh screen then a filter. You need to change out the whole fuel pump assemble, it's suppose to be non serviceable
Attaches to the pump, it is removable.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Agree. I dont see it as a service either on my repair manual :/
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:38 PM   #13

Updated, removed the fuel filter. But note, if you did have a in-line fuel filter 60k/6yr should be a good interval
Old January 3rd, 2013, 04:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Updated, removed the fuel filter. But note, if you did have a in-line fuel filter 60k/6yr should be a good interval
Are you talking about if you had installed an aftermarket one yourself?
Old January 3rd, 2013, 05:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Diabolic ll View Post
Are you talking about if you had installed an aftermarket one yourself?
No, i mean some cars (BMW, Nissan... ect) have a serviceable filter. And if you have a car that does have one, that is a good interval
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:31 PM   #16

Quote:
No, i mean some cars (BMW, Nissan... ect) have a serviceable filter. And if you have a car that does have one, that is a good interval
Agree
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #17
Carpe Diem

The price for the 3/4 gear pressure switches and replacement gaskets is ~$75.
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikethegreat View Post
The price for the 3/4 gear pressure switches and replacement gaskets is ~$75.
Ah **** thats pretty expensive. I dont have an auto so im not sure how this effects it. This was suggested to be by a member. Is it worth including?
Old January 4th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #19
Carpe Diem

I just changed mine @ 75k miles. I didn't notice any difference. It's supposed to help prolong the life of your AT but I'm skeptical. I figured it was worth a shot though. Might as well keep it on there.
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 4th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikethegreat View Post
I just changed mine @ 75k miles. I didn't notice any difference. It's supposed to help prolong the life of your AT but I'm skeptical. I figured it was worth a shot though. Might as well keep it on there.
Agree. I would change the fluid on that AT frequently just to be on the safe side. Honda transmissions are.....crap to say the least. Im lucky the previous owner of my 6MT got the 2-3 gear synchros replaced from the dealer before I got my hands on it.
Old February 10th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #21

If this is the first time changing my 05 Accord V6 EX at 65k miles transmission fluid, is a 1x drain/fill good enough? Or should I do the 3x?
nomyu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 15th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomyu View Post
If this is the first time changing my 05 Accord V6 EX at 65k miles transmission fluid, is a 1x drain/fill good enough? Or should I do the 3x?
Do a drain and fill now
Do a drain and fill at your next oil change.
Do a drain and fill @ 90k, 120k, 150k, ect...

Im not a fan of changing it ALL at once. Transmissions are like fish tanks, do you know what happens when you change all the water out on a fish tank at once?

I should clarify, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS.

Manual transmissions are like changing the oil on an engine. As many times as you want lol

Last edited by Randomhero; February 16th, 2013 at 09:27 AM..
Old February 16th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #23

^ I've only changed my trans fluid once. I GMSM-FM so I'm good to go. Hopefully doing it tomorrow.
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 16th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #24

What do you mean by interference motor, when your talking about the timing belt? Great list by the way. Great to know after the 100-105k maintenance your in the clear, unless the clutch goes out lol
nismoasfuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 16th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismoasfuh View Post
What do you mean by interference motor, when your talking about the timing belt? Great list by the way. Great to know after the 100-105k maintenance your in the clear, unless the clutch goes out lol
On a interference motor, iff the belt snaps your valves smash into each other, BAD.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 03:24 PM   #26

It's better to do the timing belt sooner than later. If the belt snaps or the components fail you could be looking at some serious engine damage if the valves and the pistons make contact.
spydercatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 15th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #27

Can anyone tell me how and what to use to clean the TPS ? I'm having somewhat of a rough idle and I changed sparks, o2 sensors and oil. I still need to clean the dryflow filter since I'm pretty sure it's clogged. Would a dirty CAI filter cause a rough idle ? Thanks !
Z3R0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 15th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0 View Post
Can anyone tell me how and what to use to clean the TPS ? I'm having somewhat of a rough idle and I changed sparks, o2 sensors and oil. I still need to clean the dryflow filter since I'm pretty sure it's clogged. Would a dirty CAI filter cause a rough idle ? Thanks !
Try some Techron Concentrate Fuel system cleaner or Gumout All-In-One into the gas. Not really sure how the TPS sensor can get dirty... Maybe you mean IAC? If so just take it out and brake clean it.
Old March 15th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #29

Big update, mostly adding oil and filter recommendations.

Anyway this can get stickied?

Last edited by Randomhero; March 16th, 2013 at 12:20 AM..
Old March 16th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #30

This should be sticked. I'm already subscribed though
Randomhero likes this.
nismoasfuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.