difference between j30a4 and j30a5 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kschwiggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #1
Banned

difference between j30a4 and j30a5

Can someone tell me which is the difference between the j30a4 and j30a5 I know that the a5 have 4hp more than the a4 but is there another difference?
lokyboy69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #2

^ One and Done.

J30A

The J30A displaces 2,997 cc (2.997 L; 182.9 cu in) and is a SOHC VTEC design. Bore is 86 mm (3.4 in) and stroke is 86 mm (3.4 in). Output for the light weight 250 lb (110 kg) J30A1 was 200 hp (150 kW) @ 5500 rpm and 195 lbft (264 Nm) of torque @ 4800 rpm. The J30A4 pushed output to 240 hp (180 kW) and 212 lbft (287 Nm) using a three-way VTEC system, higher (10:1) compression ratio, and a novel exhaust manifold cast as one piece with the cylinder head. It weighs nearly 20 lb (9.1 kg) less and is an inch shorter than J30A1. This version was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 2003 and 2004. The IMA hybrid version was on the list for 2005. In 2006 to mark the 30th anniversary of the Accord, Honda created the J30A5, which boosted output to 244 hp (SAE Net 08/04) and 211 lbft (SAE Net 08/04) of torque. According to Honda, horsepower gains were achieved with extensive improvements to the airflow of the intake and exhaust system.

J30A1

1997-1999 Honda Odyssey Prestige
1997-1999 Acura 3.0CL
1999-2003 Honda Avancier
1998-2002 Honda Accord V6

J30A4

2003-2005 Honda Accord V6

J30A5

2006-2007 Honda Accord V6
2003-2007 Honda Inspire

J30Y1

2013+ Acura RDX (China)

JNA1

2005-2007 Honda Accord Hybrid
accord325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 17th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #3
J35 6Spd

^ that Wikipedia entry doesn't really say any differences besides the 4 HP difference.... Also, I don't think the intake and exhaust improvements were made to the internal engine, but to the components that bolt on to the engine.

Internally, the A5 is just about the same as the A4. The A5 has an extra water temp sensor on the coolant pipe manifold where it connects to the radiator hoses. So, the A5 has a slightly different wiring harness to work with the sensor, a different water/coolant manifold, and the extra sensor. I am not sure whether the A5 ecu also has different programming to work with the extra sensor.
Randomhero likes this.
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 17th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kschwiggy View Post
^ that Wikipedia entry doesn't really say any differences besides the 4 HP difference.... Also, I don't think the intake and exhaust improvements were made to the internal engine, but to the components that bolt on to the engine.

Internally, the A5 is just about the same as the A4. The A5 has an extra water temp sensor on the coolant pipe manifold where it connects to the radiator hoses. So, the A5 has a slightly different wiring harness to work with the sensor, a different water/coolant manifold, and the extra sensor. I am not sure whether the A5 ecu also has different programming to work with the extra sensor.
Ok Thanks. I have a 2007 accord v6 sedan and I have the j30a4. When I purchase this car it was used with 30,000 miles in 2012. What I want to know is if this is the correct engine that my car will bring from factory the j30a4 or its supposed to be the j30a5?
Old October 17th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Banned

Other thing is that when I purchase this car the used car dealer told me that they change the engine don't know why they dint give me a reason why they changed the engine I suppose that it was broken but the engine they installed used to was this j30a4 what can I do? Can I do a reclaim because they put the engine that was made for the 2003-2005 accord v6 or its the same thing?
Old October 17th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #6
J35 6Spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokyboy69 View Post
Ok Thanks. I have a 2007 accord v6 sedan and I have the j30a4. When I purchase this car it was used with 30,000 miles in 2012. What I want to know is if this is the correct engine that my car will bring from factory the j30a4 or its supposed to be the j30a5?
The A4 was only installed in cars up to 2005, 2006-2007 models used the A5... so technically the model is wrong. However, it is possible that they swapped in the correct water piping and the extra sensor, so that it works with your wiring harness. Take a look at where the radiator hoses connect to the engine, and see if there are two sensors sticking out of the metal housing. If so, then they swapped the pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokyboy69 View Post
Other thing is that when I purchase this car the used car dealer told me that they change the engine don't know why they dint give me a reason why they changed the engine I suppose that it was broken but the engine they installed used to was this j30a4 what can I do? Can I do a reclaim because they put the engine that was made for the 2003-2005 accord v6 or its the same thing?
The A4 is pretty much interchangeable with the A5 minus some minor details like the water temp sensors, and maybe some others. But, the car should run without problems if the details are accounted for during the installation.
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 17th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Czechopino

Send a message via AIM to vasekvi Send a message via Yahoo to vasekvi
When my timing belt snapped on my 03V6 i replaced my engine for a low mile A5. This was a couple years ago. From what I remember them telling me, they had to reuse my intake manifold. FWIW, this engine feels and sounds exactly like my old one, except I lost a couple City MPG but gained a couple HWY MPG. I wish it was the other way around, smh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

vasekvi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 17th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #8
03 AV6 Coupe

FYI, the A4 and A5 intake manifolds have different part numbers. I am assuming that is part of the revised intake flow that is associated with part of the 4hp. In reality though, the dyno proves no difference in HP or TQ. Either way they both have the same characteristics, hp and tq curve, sound, redline. IMO it is more of a marketing ploy(excuse) for the higher HP number. The J30A4 is slightly underrated anyway. To say that it originally had 244 SAE HP is more likely.

For arguing the point, you could say that even if the J30A5 had 4 more crank HP, the extra 40lbs negates it as well as having 1 less TQ at 211 vs the J30a4 at 212. its a wash

Injen CAI
Magnaflow CBE
UR Pulley
Richie's V3 J-Pipe
J35 Magnesium IM
MDX IM Spacer
P2R Thermal Gaskets
TB Coolant Bypass
Innovative 60A Mounts
Koni Yellows/Eibach Pro Kit
TL-S Rear Sway Bar
Neuspeed Strut Bar
hondav6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 17th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Banned

Ok Thanks people.
Old October 17th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #10

They are so close I personally thought it didn't matter. If the car is running good I wouldnt worry about it. Sorry for the vague link but I didn't know the whole back story.
accord325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 17th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #11
Banned

Yes is running very good I have a friend that have a 2006 accord v6 sedan and when I installed my dc sports cai I did a run with him for a test and I was in front of his car like 2 cars and a half and still going I guess is pretty good.
Old October 17th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #12
Mr. Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondav6 View Post
FYI, the A4 and A5 intake manifolds have different part numbers. I am assuming that is part of the revised intake flow that is associated with part of the 4hp. In reality though, the dyno proves no difference in HP or TQ. Either way they both have the same characteristics, hp and tq curve, sound, redline. IMO it is more of a marketing ploy(excuse) for the higher HP number. The J30A4 is slightly underrated anyway. To say that it originally had 244 SAE HP is more likely.

For arguing the point, you could say that even if the J30A5 had 4 more crank HP, the extra 40lbs negates it as well as having 1 less TQ at 211 vs the J30a4 at 212. its a wash
Apparently they were going to rate the A4 at 250 hp and require premium. But since the Altima took premium to make 240 hp, Honda decided to rate the engine's power based on what it put out on regular fuel, giving it a competitive advantage over the Altima and the 192 hp Camry which also required premium fuel.

And I'd believe the engines are somewhat underrated. My Accord is every bit as quick as my 255 hp 4AT '02 Maxima (in fact, had a 7th gen V6 Accord pull away from me on a freeway on ramp when I had my 4AT Maxima) despite the Maxima weighing a good 100 pounds less and having 34 lb-ft more torque. Yeah, it had one less gear but still, given a supposed 15 hp/34 lb-ft power advantage, 100 lb less weight (3224 lbs), that should more than make up for the lack of an extra gear.

Now my 6MT '02 Maxima on the other hand...

2004 Infiniti G35 6MT. Also super shiny.
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2017, 11:32 AM   #13

Question Looking for an used J30A5 in Cali

Hi there,
I'm new to this forum & I'd like to know if somebody have some input/ advise out there. I'm looking into buying a used in good shape J30A5 engine out there. In in Southern California. Does anybody know anybody? or reputable used engine sellers out there? thank you.
mauscuba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 17th, 2017, 04:43 PM   #14

Smile j30a5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauscuba View Post
Hi there,
I'm new to this forum & I'd like to know if somebody have some input/ advise out there. I'm looking into buying a used in good shape J30A5 engine out there. In in Southern California. Does anybody know anybody? or reputable used engine sellers out there? thank you.
I have a buddy with a j30a5 , still in his 06 accord 6 speed , he has plans of going j32 so he might be interested in selling his engine.
v6Tweezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.