Different swap motor combination and MT Transmission *Sticky* - Page 3 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2016, 05:52 PM   #61
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Hopefully life has stabilized again to where I can be active again, mom had another stroke and have had that to deal with......
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2016, 05:56 PM   #62

Best wishes. Thanks for taking the time to check in and stay active on these forums.
CBUS-AV6MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 1st, 2016, 05:58 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6 View Post
Hopefully life has stabilized again to where I can be active again, mom had another stroke and have had that to deal with......
sorry to hear that Paul. Welcome back, we missed you and your wealth of knowledge

Old March 2nd, 2016, 07:32 PM   #64

Good to see you back paul. Hopefully you r on the other side of tough times for awhile. I have started my own j36 build and may need to pick your brain on some of the block tolerances. So far I've cross referenced the 08 MDX vs 05 TL for crank/rod/block tolerances and 05 TL vs. 05 RL vs. 08 MDX for piston/rod/block tolerances.

so far they all r lining up well with a few very slight variations. I will take measurements and assemble w plastigage as a double check before final assembly. However I'm sure I will have questions along the way.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 07:44 PM   #65
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

I have both of these engines in my possession.

J37A1(07 MDX) and J37A3(09 RL - EX VTEC) are both new bell housing, both would need injector mods and coolant cross casting swaped and oil pressure sensor swapped, but other wise will work. Also the J37A3 uses 8th gen precat connection (Larger than 7th gen).

That being said swapping in anything beyond a J32A3 I would HIGHLY reccomend Hondata to run it correctly
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 2nd, 2016, 07:47 PM   #66
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07J30 View Post
Good to see you back paul. Hopefully you r on the other side of tough times for awhile. I have started my own j36 build and may need to pick your brain on some of the block tolerances. So far I've cross referenced the 08 MDX vs 05 TL for crank/rod/block tolerances and 05 TL vs. 05 RL vs. 08 MDX for piston/rod/block tolerances.

so far they all r lining up well with a few very slight variations. I will take measurements and assemble w plastigage as a double check before final assembly. However I'm sure I will have questions along the way.
You MUST use rod bearings from the MDX, main journals are the same, but the rod journals on J37 cranks are 55mm diameter vs the 50mm diameter of all J30 thru J35 cranks.
Old March 9th, 2016, 06:21 AM   #67
Derek

Paul, sorry to hear about your Mom.

I was wondering what happened, because you hadn't responded to my pm's.

Hope there has been some improvements with her health.
damage2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 12th, 2016, 07:57 PM   #68

I tried searching and haven't found anything really telling, can anyone list any perks to the franken engines? I'm sure it isn't the best route but I'm intrigued all the same.

Thanks.
SlothySid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 7th, 2016, 09:35 PM   #69

Has any one tried to just buying the LSD guts from the J32 tranny and putting them into a J30 tranny. It might not be possible, just trying to figure out my options to get LSD into my 04 6-6 accord.
piromnke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2016, 09:19 AM   #70

Yes it been done multiple times. I have an lsd sitting in my closet lol.
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2016, 07:44 PM   #71

is it for sale? I found an LSD on heel toe automotive for +-$1200...
piromnke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 11th, 2016, 09:29 PM   #72

Hey whats up guys, Ive been doing a lot of research and following this thread closely as I am planning on doing a 3.5 swap in my 06 6spd coupe very soon. I think I have settled on the Odyssey J35A6. Anyway, I have been a Honda dealership technician for 16 years and know the product line very well. That being said, just thought I would contribute some info that hopefully helps clear some stuff up.

As most of you know, there are two different styles of bell housing. If you are looking at a car, the easiest way to tell is by opening the hood and checking the auto trans dipstick location. If it is under the intake tube behind the battery, then it is has the old style bell housing. If the dipstick is on the front of the trans next to the front motor mount, then it is the new style. Here is how it breaks down. Old style bell housing; 98-07 Accord, 99-06 Odyssey, 03-05 Pilot. However, 99-04 Odyssey & 03-04 Pilot is 1G V6. All Ridgelines use the new style btw. This leaves only 05 Pilot & 05-06 Odyssey J35A6/A7 as potentially useable 3.5s in our 7th gens. As for the MDX, 01-02 are 1G V6, and I have 100% confirmed that 05+ use the new style bell housing. Im not sure about 03-04 though.

As for engines with VCM, it appears that these seem to be highly desirable to some people because of the oil squirters. However, I'm 90% sure that the squirters are only on the VCM cylinders, which would be 1-3 0n 05-07 Odysseys (1-4 on 08+). If you decide to use a VCM engine, I would assume you would be using your factory wire harness & PCM, therefore nothing would be plugged into the VCM solenoids and the engine would simply operate as a normal V6. Not sure about what else is the same or different about these engine as far as sensor locations etc. Hope this helps everyone.

I suppose my questions would be, can any confirm which bell housing 03-04 MDX uses? Also, has anyone successfully used an eighth gen 6spd trans in a 7th gen? if this would work, then that would open the door to all blocks with the new style bell housing. We rarely ever see 8th gen manuals come into the shop, therefore I have never had the opportunity to examine one. I am also seeing conflicting info on the hp rating for the J35A6, not only here but all over the web. I'm seeing anywhere from 244-255, can anyone confirm what the actual rating is? I know all about the SAE hp rating change in 2006 so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Last edited by mrhonda; July 11th, 2016 at 10:47 PM..
mrhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 3rd, 2016, 01:46 PM   #73

J35A6 also on Honda Lagreat
sasa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 15th, 2016, 12:44 PM   #74

I am thinking about slowly putting together a Frank motor to use with either my Accord NON-LSD transmission or a used TL-6mt transmission. Being that mine is in perfect shape I'm thinking of just buying an LSD to put into my current 6mt.

As for the Frank motor I'm thinking of a J32 block from an 04-06 Acura TL with TL-S heads, 3.7 crank, and rods. Which pistons would be ideal for staying NA? Am I better off with the J32 heads and throw in the Type S cams? I'm currently stock with intake/exhaust bolt ons tuned with Hondata Flashpro on a TL ECU. So the tuning will be done through that. Any help is appreciated.
ChrisQ80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 4th, 2016, 11:04 PM   #75

J35a7 is also dbw with older bellhousing. Its vcm so not good for the whole engine but, it has il jest and is a good block to use to build
JSeriesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 12th, 2016, 09:29 AM   #76

help on swap - im new and this is my first post

I need to rebuild my j30 motor on my 2003 accord Coupe with Autoomatic trans. If i want to swap out my j30 what motor options will bolt up to the automatic trans?

-My A/T transmission is being rebuilt.
-I plan on keeping same ecu.

1. accura j32 to replace the j30. I see from the forum that this wiil work. I need confirmation please advise?
2. other options ?
3. what else do i need during swap (ecu or not needed) ?
4. Injectors ?
4. any issues i need to know upfront before starting this project?

Has anyone done this swap on this site ?

notes From the Forum:
Acura TL j32a3 2004-2006 (direct swap, swap intake manifold if AT)
Output is 270 hp and 232 lbft (315 Nm) @ 3500-5500 rpm

thanks Ed
edsaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.