burning oil - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2017, 09:03 PM   #1

burning oil

04 v6 manual coupe. Burns oil about half a quart in under 1000 miles.i have full exhaust pcd xlr8 jpipe n tsudo catback. The black residue on bumper is normal from no cats. But for the amount it burns , theres no leak or very bad residue on bumper nor does is smoke under hard acceleration. Inside muffler tip is just regular black soot when u smear it, no thickening or buildup. My plugs are cover in black soot with the tip a slight whitish color. Coolant level is same.

I do smoke upon cold start up but thats just probably condensation from cold then disappears. I do remember that when i did my valve adjustment 2000 miles ago, the texture on the valve stem seals looks rough or dried up but i didnt pay close attention. Car still pulls strong up top but not much low end trq and lags for power in lower rpms until 4k rpms.

Also i notice i f***k on this one switching to mobil 1 semi or fully snthetic too. That could be my problem too. So i was planning to switch to 5w-30 valvoline conventional to see how it goes first.

I know im suppose to do a compression test. Maybe after my new conventional oil.
530av6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2017, 10:13 PM   #2

Could be piston rings. Compression test will tell you. Which do they look like in the link? http://www.aa1car.com/library/reading_spark_plugs.jpg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...83679590372456
accord325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 5th, 2017, 12:12 AM   #3

But burning oil that much in less than 1000 miles should result it some black puffy clouds upon start up and especially when i floor it redline too. I had my bro followed me one time and i floored it and asked him later if he saw any smokes, he said no.

Anyways my spark plug looks similiar to the link below, its very black and dry soot(no thick layers buildup), and the tip is slight whitish brown. Its not fully white tho. I forgot, my 02 sensor has white buildups over the black carbon on it.https://www.google.com/search?q=whit...iw=360&bih=561

Old January 5th, 2017, 12:14 AM   #4

Idk if the link works but if u google white spark plug on google image its similiar to that but not that white tho with black dry soot around the threads.
Old January 5th, 2017, 12:15 AM   #5

Could my 02 sensor be lazy too, the cause for my lag or slow pickup speed around 2-4k rpms.like it bogs.i think im running rich too from the full exhaust setup, i would smeel the richness upon startup i know it smells bad with no cat but its almost extre unburn air fuel. And when im cruising n let go it backfsfire or makes a pop or two when running rich right.

My hwy mpg is decent tho 27-30 mpg and 17-23 mpg city.
Old January 5th, 2017, 07:00 AM   #6

What's the status of your pcv system? Do you have a factory setup or any breather filters? Pcv valve still good?
07J30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 5th, 2017, 03:41 PM   #7

Oh i just change to a new oem pcv when i got the car 2000 miles ago. Are they suppose to rattle or blow in it or how do u test it. I read that it doesnt really rattle.
Old January 5th, 2017, 03:42 PM   #8

I put a Small breather filter in place of where the line from valve cover to intake tho if that makes difference cuz didnt want ti dril hole for intake.
Old January 5th, 2017, 05:33 PM   #9

It sounds like the things you have said check out fine. (Plugs, o2, exhaust tips, and smoke) pics of the plugs would be the easiest, if ur burning that much oil it should show up on the plugs, after that a compression test would b nice. Try going back to conventional and see what happens. You really should have vac applied to that rear valve cover, it's the fresh air intake side for the pcv system, and while I can't say what happens without it, I know it will prob work better to get the pcv system "flowing" the way it was designed.
Old January 5th, 2017, 09:28 PM   #10

Ill get back after an oil. Hange to see how it is. Might not be till a month or two.
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:38 PM   #11

So i have change my oil to 5w-30 conventional valvoline about 3 weeks ago and only driven 300 miles so far.

I have then drop in a intake manifold from a j35 2010 tl. I am surprised by the light weight of it and the heat of it after driving it for a while. To my surprise you can touch the manifold unlike the stock one, i cannot lay my hand on for more than 2 sec.incredible. plus i got it for about 130 shipped withthe cover.

Anyhow when i removed my stock int manifold after it was cleaned about 1000 miles ago to put the new one on, i notice its slightly cover in oil here n there and a few or small black bunk or build up already. So im confuse as to if i am having a blowby??? I have a new pcv. Is oil slightly traveling into the manifold and runners too?
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:40 PM   #12

Still havent done compression test. And plus i have a small knock or like a piston slap or almost like a bad motor mount everytime i turn off the engine and then u hear it for a split second
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:50 PM   #13

black stuff is from EGR, and oil could be stucked in by the pcv system. The rear oil get sucked into the intake, and the front is directly to the rear of the intake manifold.

Knock could be a bad thing... Time for a swap
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 25th, 2017, 04:23 PM   #14

It starts and idle fine no noise. Just when i turn offf the car. Hope its just sound of a worn motormount
Old January 25th, 2017, 06:59 PM   #15

How many miles on the motor ?
accordlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 26th, 2017, 12:17 AM   #16

I just recently purchased it last year in september w/ about 150000 miles. Ive only driven it for 3000 miles
Old January 27th, 2017, 07:25 PM   #17

So i did compression test on cylinders 4 5 6 only cuz it got dark quick.
Compression across was 215 psi. The engine was slightly warm still like around 100+ degrees hot so internally might be a littke hotter than outsude. My soark plugs around the thread is dry soot black and the tip is a faint white not pure white.

Would my cylinders 456 burn oil cuz of valve stem seals. Compression looks good. I took front plugs and ign coils out and took out the fuel pump relay under by the pedal and crank it while holding clutch and gas pedal down and crank it 6x.
Old January 28th, 2017, 02:21 AM   #18

Or i could have stuck oil control rings???
Old January 29th, 2017, 07:02 AM   #19

As long as you are using the same method for every cylinder your compression seems good, that unfortunately doesn't rule out blow by from below. A leakdown test won't tell you anything about the location of the oil coming into the cyl either, bc if the valves are sealing you will get good results on the leakdown but the valve guides or stem seals could still be leaking. in a similar manner if your compression is still good it still could b a scored wall or ring problem but the oil is filling the "gap" and keeping compression good. Look up a "wet" compression test and do one of those.

Have a friend follow you and keep the car in high vacuum (in gear off the throttle w rpm high while decelerating) then hammer the throttle. Oil will slip past valve seals under high vac conditions more. Also if it smokes more in the morning on cold start it could b valves. Unfortunately it can b hard to diagnose till it gets worse. You could try scoping the bores to look for cyl scoring
Old January 29th, 2017, 06:27 PM   #20

It does smoke slighlty on cokd startup but it could just be the cold or cuz i have not cats on
Old February 4th, 2017, 07:30 AM   #21

while engine running check your dipstick and see smoke is coming,better keep a distance chance of oil to splash out
Gorg.loes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 19th, 2017, 06:37 PM   #22

how can you tell if your pvc valve is good?
ashtonallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 19th, 2017, 06:38 PM   #23

i mean pcv...
ashtonallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 20th, 2017, 03:58 PM   #24

You just gotta shake it really hard to hear the ball bearing in there rattle. If not then its clog and build up inside. These pcv dont really rattle like other cars tho.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 09:51 PM   #25
Mr. Detail

Mine started using a bit of oil, about a quart in 6000 miles. But I'm less than 100 miles from 230k. Probably just going to change the original PCV and see if that clears it up.
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.