Accord V6 Forum banner

Short ram intake

3K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Fresh 
#1 ·
Does anybody know where i can find some short ram intake for my 04 accord sedan. perfer AEM, Injen, stuff like that.. or maybe any other good company??

#3 ·
sorry for the noob question, but what exactly IS a short ram? i know the cold air draws from in front of the engine, ambient air, which is colder and denser.

#4 ·
A cold air pulls air from down in the bumper- colder air, a short ram uses a tube that is typically half the length, but draws air from the engine bay.

The short ram suffers from heat soak (pulling hot air from around the engine) which reduces performance. On the good side, Short rams are not suseptable to vapor lock (when the engine sucks up water like a straw) like a cold air.

#6 ·
that's what i thought. thanks. oh, and for the record, is it bad (health of the car-wise, not performance-wise) if you're drawing from just the filter box, without any pipes coming out of it? it's a long story, but its CRAZY fricking loud,

#7 ·
ha, your right, hydrolock is what I meant.

I ran with just my box, no resonators, no Jpipe attached for a while. There is no problem going without them. If you think that is loud, listen to a cold air intake. I was under the same impression until I put in my Injen. The injen is stock quiet when I want it to be, loud as all hell when I open her up!!

#8 ·
Have you guys heard that over 20-30 mph, a short ram intake would be as effective as a CAI? Any truth to this?

I would imagine the best CAI is one that would also take advantage from a ram effect as the car speeds up. To do this the CAI would have a nozzle that faces into the air stream.

#9 ·
Eh I can see how that would be the case, once the car gets rolling, it would have outside air forced into the engine bay, although I dont think its at the same rate a cold air receives it. I really like how my cold air intake helps get me off the line, I wouldnt trade it for a SRI. The biggest reason is stop and go traffic.

#12 ·
I was wondering the same.

Also is it better to stay stock or have a SRI? I have v6 04 sedan as well... Would I get any gains off a SRI w/in the entire band? Or would some spots be better stock others lower?

Im to broke to go dyno btw, just trying to get general IDEA.

I asked this ?? a while ago and knowone replied.

Thxs

#15 ·
DIVConglomerate said:
It's pointless to get a short ram unless you have an open hood or forced air induction.
I'd disagree with that..... it'll still make more power than the stock airbox.

#16 ·
Honestly, if you are not looking to spend the money on a CAI, I would just remove the resonator from the stock airbox, and use a K&N drop in filter. Your gains will be the same as a short ram, and save alot of bank. The nice thing is, the stock box with no resonator will pull colder air than a sri pulling from directly next to the engine.

#18 ·
sorry to bring this thread to live again, but

how loud is it?

I am t hinking of replacing my Fujita CAI with the OEM one, but w/o the airbox, leaving an open pipe free flowing into the stock filter.

#23 ·
well, i would love to, or it would probably be easier to use any normal pipe, if i don't have any MAF. This MAF in i4 can be quite annoying, since Fujita is the only one out there that makes it.

I think i already know what I am gonna do, worse comes to worse, it's just gonna be frequent cleaning of the filter and bug removal :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.