Power Steering Pump Whine Symptoms and TSB Fix - Page 6 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #151

Oil Leak

3 months ago I heard a whine but not sure where it is coming from (belt,pump,pulleys,etc.) and Today I noticed oil accumulating on the body of power steering pump and no sound is heard.

IS it OK if I used ABRO PREMIUM POWER STEERING FLUID
Products - Automotive - Service Products - PREMIUM POWER STEERING FLUID | ABRO Industries, Inc

or I must only use honda OEM power steering fluid ?
hamoudi357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2012, 10:56 AM   #152
2nd Gen CTSV

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect http://jforjustice.co.uk/banksters
Imageless83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #153

I had this same noise and after replacing all these parts including the power steering pressure hose. My step dad owns a tire and auto service shop and he recomended trying to replace the a/c compressur clutch bearing saying that the bearing would cause a similar noise if it had gone out except it would do whine more under acceleration and wouldnt effect the steering at all. after replacing the bearing the car sounds like brand new i dont know if anyone has been unable to solve their whine but the compressor is directly below the power steering pump and makes just about the same noise, just somthing too look into if your still having problems...
jonsey09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old February 1st, 2012, 10:27 PM   #154

I had same noise in the mornings when the car was cold but after a few mins of driving the noise was gone.
So I went to dealer for other services and told the guy my problem and the said it could be the Oring on the steering pump
so they replaced it and the noise is now s gone.
Good thing because I was looking at $400 buck (give or take a few) for PS Pump but ended up paying $ 2.00 for the Oring install was free.
Wingfither is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #155

2004 Accord Coupe 6MT EX
This just started happening around late November 2011 for me. It started on a cold morning just like all the first posts have mentioned pretty much. Thanks to this website and all you fine people, I am going to get the o-ring and do that first.

Another thing to mention, that I didn't see in any other post yet, is that my maintenance light when on after the whines started. I went to get my oil changed and they topped off the power steering fluid and the whines were gone for a few days before they came back. Also, I don't know if they reset something, but the maintenance light went away after that oil change too. I'm going to try and do the O-ring replacement myself.

Also, it's been a few years since people have been commenting in here. Curious to see if the o-ring fix has held out for that long?

Last edited by V6ACCORD04; February 27th, 2012 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: add stuff
V6ACCORD04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #156

I cant believe I had not seen this before. Since I have an extended warranty, I will take it to dealer with the TSB to see if they will fix it for me. If not I see myself getting an 05 RL pump like Paul said and replacing it myself.
slammedctr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 15th, 2015, 06:27 PM   #157
Calm like a bomb

Reviving this thread.

I did this AT Filter Change and 3x3 Flush and Fill a couple weeks ago and while I was at it I did a PS fluid transfusion with a turkey baster and did the bleeding process as well. I used Honda PS fluid btw. It seemed to feel good, I've already done 1500+ miles with no issues.

The other day I start the car (maybe 8-10 degrees) and it made the noise everyone has complained about. I thought maybe it was just the belts being brittle from the cold because like others, it would go away after being warm and running. Then it happened again the other morning and I looked under the hood and recognized the whine as PS related. I checked the reservoir and it was foamy and bubbly. I figured that meant air (derp). I siphoned the top layer off with all the foam. I accidentally over filled it and the noise immediately subsided. I drove about 150 miles right after with no problem. Parked it for the night and seemed ok. I wake up and go start it, cold as hell again. It was back and then I saw it dripping from underneath. Luckily it was just over flowing the reservoir. Scary business in that kind of weather.

So I started reading up on it here and figured this would be the right place to start. I called BurneHonda with my VIN prior to all this and they said the TSB was already done "for a PS hose issue in Dec. '07'". I figured this was the O-ring and based on the fact it was the same month the TSB came out they must have used the first type of O-ring that they later swapped PN's for (the red one).

I will try the new O-ring first and let you know. If that doesn't work I will get a PS pump from the bone yard (an 05 RL if they have it, I trust Paul with this stuff). I will get a re-seal kit for it and replace the whole thing with a new hose, if anyone has the specs on that I'd appreciate them: length, ID, Fuel grade, etc... and another new O-ring. If that doesn't do it I will replace the HP line. If that doesn't work I'll set it on fire and just lie. I'll get some pics while I'm at it.
StevilKnievel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 16th, 2015, 11:13 AM   #158

p0wer steering whining noise

just replaced the high pressure hose on my 2000 accord v6 now have a constant whinning noise very loud when turning the wheel before the hose change noise would go away after warm up did I not add fluid right lots of air maybe have done lots of bleeding turning the wheel wont stop making this noise..sounds like a bearing in the pump,maybe another blocked line?
lokylou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2015, 12:27 PM   #159
Calm like a bomb

Here is the write-up I did for this project PS Flush and TSB O-ring Write Up
It was pretty straight forward and fixed my issue. Hope it can help somebody else as well.
Old February 28th, 2015, 01:37 PM   #160

whining noise

ok,just replace power steering pump,also new hose with new O-rings,and pump still making noise ..before I replaced pump,i first replaced high pressure hose...with new hose the noise was constant,but before the hose change,when car was warmed up,noised went away until a cold morning start up..i am in So Cali,so a cold start up is in 50 degree weather...
so now with new pump,hose,and new O-rings noise is constant...lol....any advise????
Old February 28th, 2015, 01:43 PM   #161
Calm like a bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokylou View Post
ok,just replace power steering pump,also new hose with new O-rings,and pump still making noise ..before I replaced pump,i first replaced high pressure hose...with new hose the noise was constant,but before the hose change,when car was warmed up,noised went away until a cold morning start up..i am in So Cali,so a cold start up is in 50 degree weather...
so now with new pump,hose,and new O-rings noise is constant...lol....any advise????
Change your serpentine belt. Check your pulleys with a mechanics stethoscope, if you're not comfortable doing that have a mechanic do it for you. If those are all good its almost definitely going to be your PS pump.

EDIT: Did you flush it as well? What condition is the fluid in?
Old February 28th, 2015, 05:56 PM   #162

hey steve
yes replaced pump and both belts at same time.
Whining noise is still there also noticeable when turning the wheel making turns when driving... Should I do the fluid flush like you wrote about using Honda fluid only..i put prestone fluid in after I change hose and pump?
even though the pump and high pressure hose came with new O-rings, should I also replace them to see if this might be the issue?

Last edited by lokylou; February 28th, 2015 at 06:19 PM..
Old February 28th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #163
Calm like a bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokylou View Post
hey steve
yes replaced pump and both belts at same time.
Whining noise is still there also noticeable when turning the wheel making turns when driving... Should I do the fluid flush like you wrote about using Honda fluid only..i put prestone fluid in after I change hose and pump?
even though the pump and high pressure hose came with new O-rings, should I also replace them to see if this might be the issue?
Sorry, I didnt see that you had already changed the pump. Is it OEM or aftermarket? Changing the O-ring as suggested in the TSB could be the culprit if the one you were supplied with was of the factory original spec. Does the whine seem louder as the revs go up and is the wheel difficult to turn or otherwise out of normal operating function? You should ABSOLUTELY be using Honda PS fluid btw.
Old March 19th, 2017, 05:33 PM   #164

Is there a write up anywhere describing the step procedure for replacing seals in power steering pump on 2007 accord v6
ashtonallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:15 AM   #165

2009 Honda Accord

I've been hearing the same whining noise from my 2009 Honda Accord. I hear it when I start up my car and then it seems to go away after driving it at speeds higher than 45 mph. I haven't taken the time yet to check where the sound is coming from with the hood up. My late husband used to do all of our car repairs so I'm kind of at a loss as to who to trust to look at it. My car has 120K miles on it.

The noise sounded a little louder this morning (it was a little colder this morning) and then a light came on that I looked up and it indicates a starter problem but then the light went off after driving for 15 minutes.

I'll call my dealer in the morning and hopefully it's something like just the o-ring.
lilducks5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.