Power Steering Pump Whine Symptoms and TSB Fix - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #1
girl powah!!

Send a message via AIM to 03aV6cpe
Arrow Power Steering Pump Whine Symptoms and TSB Fix

hey everyone, i have an automatic v6 and i did a search and found some threads on the infamous "whining" noise. however, ppl that have complained about the whining noise say it happens after so many rpm's

last night i turned on my car and immediately heard a whining sound without touching the accelerator. pretty loud whine too that i was hesitant to drive the car home.
when i would turn the steering wheel the sound would get a lil louder

anywho, i chanced it and drove it home. what's weird is that after i drove for like a mile the noise died down significantly, and by the time i got home (16 miles later) the noise had disappeared completely.

this morning i turn the car on and the same LOUD whiny noice started up immediately. i opened up the hood and noticed the sound definately came from the timing belt(belt directly to the right of the power steering fluid resorvoir) or timing belt area. i checked the belt and it looks great. no cracks or fraying. anyone have an idea to what could be causing the sound?do i need to oil something or do i need to replace it?
i drove the car anyway this morning but for a short distance and after about 5 miles the noise went down a lot, by the time i got home it was completely gone again.
any help, comments would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Official Slammed Club Member (Stage 3)
Featured Ride Of The Month (June-July 2010)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
03aV6cpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #2
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

There seems to be an epidemic of PS pump issues, how many miles are on your car? And would you be able to swap you pump out if I send you antother used one that I have that is not making any noise, this is for two reasons, one to confirm that it is the pump producing the noise and two, to give me one that is so that I can disect it and look for what is wrong so I can hopefully come up with a fix for everyone.

If you can do this let me know what color you want the pulley powder coated and it will be done.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 19th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #3
MADE IN THE PHILIPPINES

so everyone is saying it's a whining sound???
because mine makes a clank-clank-clank sound as if the belt was hitting something. but nothing..??? i can hear it by the right wheel area too, not just the hood.

what the heck is making the sound.

i also have a auto v6 coupe. and it happens at initial start-up in the morning before i go to work. once the engine is warmed up, sound is gone.
aV6Pinoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 20th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #4
girl powah!!

thanks nva-av6 for the responce.
today it's doing something different. i turned on my car this morning to hear if there would be any difference in sound and sure enough there is. it's not as loud as it use to be but it still seems to be coming from the timing belt area.

now to get more specific i leave the car in park and it makes the whining sound, but when i turn the steering wheel right or left the whine gets louder. the further to the right or left i turn the steering wheel the louder the whine.
also the whole time the car is literally just running, i dont apply gas or anything.
i looked at the power steering resoirvoir and it's on the 'low level' mark. i don't have any honda automatic power steering fluid handy, but is that what it is when u say it's the power steering pump?
is the solution to just fill up the container to the 'upper level' mark?
or can this be a serious issue that needs immediate attetion from the dealer?
thanks again for all the help
btw, my car is at 56k miles
and if what i described above describes ps pump then w/some directions i would totally be willing to remove it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 20th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #5
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Cool, the tools you would need are pliers, serpintine belt tool ($10-$20), 10mm socket to take off the pressure line, and 12mm socket for the bolts holding the pump on to the engine, rags/paper towels lots of them and 1qt Honda type PS fluid.

The basic swap is the following.

1) remove drive belt from pump.
2) unbolt and remove pressure line from top of pump, have rags handy to catch fluid.
3) remove the clamp and suction line from the pump, agin, have rags handy.
4) unbolt pump from engine and put in gallon frezer bag I will send with the new pump.
5) bolt new pump to engine.
6) fill suction line connection on pump with fluid.
7) reconnect and clamp suction line to pump
8) fill pressure hose port on pump with fluid.
9) reconnect pressure line
10) fill resevoir to full line
11) put drive belt back on
12) jack up front of the car getting the two front wheels off the ground
13) start car and let is idel a couple minutes
14) turn steering wheel all the way left and right several time to bleed system.
15) put car back on the ground
16) crack open favorite beverage and drink
17) report back results

Also what color do you want the pulley, I currently have black, cobalt blue, metalic red, ruby red, silver/chrome.
Old January 20th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #6
girl powah!!

Exclamation

nva-av6 y in the world can't u be located in texas!!!!!! lol

ok, so here's the deal. i did some research and found this site
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/A...003/tsbs.shtml

scroll down to:
STEERING: HYDRAULIC POWER ASSIST SYSTEM
there you will see two TSB's

TSB #090103 -- A LEAKING POWER STEERING PUMP O-RING CAN CAUSE AN OIL LEAK THAT LOOKS LIKE IT'S COMING FROM BENEATH THE CAM CHAIN COVER. HONDA SERVICENEWS. *TT (NHTSA ID #10005071, SEPTEMBER 01 2003)
TSB #040103 -- POWER STEERING WHINES OR WHISTLES. *TT (NHTSA ID #10003137, APRIL 01 2003)

i will be going to the dealer tomorrow EARLY morning and will bring up the second tsb (#040103) to their attetion and see what happens. I will definately keep everyone posted to what my dealer says!! wish me luck

edit:
if anyone has access to full detailed tsb's, can they please post the full tsb for TSB# 040103. thanks

Old January 21st, 2008, 06:18 AM   #7
its my Religion

^^^^finally I have hope mine still whines still waiting for my second ps pump to come it but who know what the problem it could be totally unrelated to the ps pump
hondaism is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:45 AM   #8
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

^Well I am hoping to confirm weather or not it is the pump. If it is the rack, that is going to be pretty screwed, the rack is a mother to get out.
Old January 21st, 2008, 09:00 AM   #9
its my Religion

well the car is at honda I told the service manager about the tsb and he offered to diagnose the car for free, he also said the ps pump is leaking air at the gasket causing foam in the resovour.the gasket is where the fat hose from the resofvor attaches to the pump, a rubber O-ring that mates to the pump. they also is going ask American Honda to fix it, I hope they do if not i'll buy the gasket and put it in.. waiting to hear what honda finds and i'll let you guys and galls know
Old January 21st, 2008, 10:32 AM   #10
its my Religion

wow Honda just called they said its fix, the O-ring was defective i'll see for sure when I pick her up
Old January 21st, 2008, 10:34 AM   #11
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaism View Post
well the car is at honda I told the service manager about the tsb and he offered to diagnose the car for free, he also said the ps pump is leaking air at the gasket causing foam in the resovour.the gasket is where the fat hose from the resofvor attaches to the pump, a rubber O-ring that mates to the pump. they also is going ask American Honda to fix it, I hope they do if not i'll buy the gasket and put it in.. waiting to hear what honda finds and i'll let you guys and galls know
Humm, that makes sense on the o-ring, let me find out what size it is and I will report back, we may even want to go a little thicker than stock.
Old January 21st, 2008, 10:41 AM   #12
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

According to honda that o-ring is 13mm X 1.9MM, given the failures I would probably replace it with a 13MM X 2.1-2.3MM, NAPA should have have these.
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:34 PM   #13
girl powah!!

hey guys. ok here's my update.
i took the car to the dealer this morning and it was the o-ring.
this is under a service bulletin
TSB# 07-086 effective from December 1, 2007
i'll scan the tsb later today since i'm at work right now.
total cost to fix was $30.51
car isn't making any noise anymore either yaay. i'll see what happens when i turn the car on to go home and post update.

now i just have to talk about my dealer. Goodson Honda North was great. they looked to see if there was a tsb to fix it and was very friendly. at first they said there would be an initial cost of $90 to do a diagnostic to find the problem. after they figured everything out they only charged me the $3x stated above.
Granted some may say they shouldn't of even charge that but compared to being scared of having to fork over 5-700 for new power steering pump, 30 bucks is nothing.
i'm very please and left with a big ol smile on my face. when they gave me my receipt i asked the lady if she could give me the TSB number and she went the extra step to print me a copy of the actual TSB, which i'll be sharing with you guys
THANKS GOODSON HONDA NORTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit:
mods, can you please change the title to 'power steering pump whine symptom and TSB'
thanks i'll post tsb in a couple of hours

Old January 21st, 2008, 12:39 PM   #14

If something is a TSB does that mean they will diagnose and repair it free if that's the cause of the problem?
my car is not under warranty anymore that's why i ask.
Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:47 PM   #15
girl powah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh View Post
If something is a TSB does that mean they will diagnose and repair it free if that's the cause of the problem?
my car is not under warranty anymore that's why i ask.
well i personally like to get my work done at the dealer on these things so that they can keep a record of all the tsb's they have to perform.
if i were u since there is a tsb on this problem i would take this tsb with you and show it to your dealer.
my car is also out of warranty. i have 56k miles on my car, purchased it in 03 and they fixed the issue for 30 bucks
give me a couple hours and i'll post the actual tsb on here for you guys to print out....

Old January 21st, 2008, 01:12 PM   #16
girl powah!!

quick question for u guys. how would i upload a pdf on here??
i only know how to upload jpeg. here's the jpeg of the tsb. i guess u can just convert it to pdf on ur computers??

Old January 21st, 2008, 01:54 PM   #17

Thanks that sounds like the issue we are all having. Where did you get the print out of the TSB?
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:30 PM   #18
girl powah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh View Post
Thanks that sounds like the issue we are all having. Where did you get the print out of the TSB?
Dealer gave it to me
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:30 PM   #19
its my Religion

no more whine for meat no cost my dealer was great about fixing my car just a o-ring cause the stupid noise I am so happy this made my day thanks southeastern honda
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:41 PM   #20
girl powah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaism View Post
no more whine for meat no cost my dealer was great about fixing my car just a o-ring cause the stupid noise I am so happy
yup, when things go smoothly like this it makes me love my car all over again
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM   #21
its my Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03aV6cpe View Post
yup, when things go smoothly like this it makes me love my car all over again
Old January 21st, 2008, 08:29 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to DeezNutz972
took the tsb to dealer...they said it is really only a temporary fix...are they trying to get more money out of me or what?
DeezNutz972 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 22nd, 2008, 04:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezNutz972 View Post
took the tsb to dealer...they said it is really only a temporary fix...are they trying to get more money out of me or what?
dealer looked at it and says the ps pump is bad and needs to be replaced. dealer says the tsb has been out for a while and they have been changing pumps hardcore for the last 3 months.

WTF?!
Old January 22nd, 2008, 06:05 PM   #24

I found the detailed PDF of this TSB online. Here is the direct link: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at...1&d=1200936994
Old January 22nd, 2008, 08:09 PM   #25
girl powah!!

Quote:
dealer looked at it and says the ps pump is bad and needs to be replaced. dealer says the tsb has been out for a while and they have been changing pumps hardcore for the last 3 months.

WTF?!
are they going to replace the power steering pump for free??
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03aV6cpe View Post
are they going to replace the power steering pump for free??
hell no... 7 bills!
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:18 AM   #27
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Quote:
hell no... 7 bills!
$700, WTF, bend over and say Ahhhhhhhhh!
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:48 AM   #28
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
I have had this symptom for a while. Last winter I got fed up with the noise and replaced the o-ring. The noise was gone for about a month before starting to come back. Fortunately winter was all but over at that point. Since it is winter time again, and with 5k more miles on the car, the sound is back in full song. Im going to try the larger gasket per NVA-AV6 this weekend and see if I cant remedy the problem again.
blu6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu6speed View Post
I have had this symptom for a while. Last winter I got fed up with the noise and replaced the o-ring. The noise was gone for about a month before starting to come back. Fortunately winter was all but over at that point. Since it is winter time again, and with 5k more miles on the car, the sound is back in full song. Im going to try the larger gasket per NVA-AV6 this weekend and see if I cant remedy the problem again.
i went to the dealer. they said the TSB is just a short term remedy and the noise comes back. that is why they say my ps pump is going out. i asked them to see what honda NA can do. they will be replacing my pump for cost of labor...$150.

i guess i'm happy?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:44 AM   #30
girl powah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu6speed View Post
be sure to keep us posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeznutz972
i went to the dealer. they said the TSB is just a short term remedy and the noise comes back. that is why they say my ps pump is going out. i asked them to see what honda NA can do. they will be replacing my pump for cost of labor...$150.

i guess i'm happy?
i think i read somewhere that labor is like $300
so if they are just charging 150, then i guess it's not that bad. just kind of unfortunate that our cars would need this already. it's barely hitting the 5 yr mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.