3rd and 4th Pressure Switch, WOOOWWWW - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #1

3rd and 4th Pressure Switch, WOOOWWWW

Bought my car with 142k miles on it, and a few weeks after owning it, Blining D light started coming on. I do have the previlage of using a SnapOn Scantool at school. Error= 3rd and 4th pressure switch failure. I never knew how to replace it, I thought they were internal parts.

After a lot of reading etc, I found a tutorial on Acurazine that showed how to do it on a TL. It seemed a bit confusing there but it really is NOT.I ordered the 3rd and 4th Pressure switch from Majestic Honda, almost half the price of what I had to pay at the dealer. And after 2-3weeks (being lazy :P) I finally put it in.

Tools you will need:
22mm Open Socket,
A rag.

Note: Do get new new O-Rings with the switches too.

One switch was under the batter tray. Very easy to access once you remove the tray. The next one was behind the left front wheel, hidden under a black cover. Don't worry you won't mix them up because the have different colors.

First Impression :

WOOOWWWWWWW My car used to kind of jump in almost every gear, especially 1-2 and also 3rd. Now, I can barely feel the 1-2nd-3rd shift. Runs a lot smoother. Next up is a tranny oil change. Its amazing how such a tiny little part can make such a huge difference.

Total Cost : About $60- 65.

Btw if needed , I can give you guys the part numbers too, don't have it on my right now. And I have access to OnDemand5.com website so if the DIY junkies need any repair instructions on any part of the car, Let me know
Sonnick and Soopadoopa like this.
AliGhanizad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #2

28600-RAY-003
28610-RAY-003
90471-PW7-A00 2ct
2 Amigos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #3

It's good to hear of some feedback from someone with an Accord. I've read the threads on Acurazine and was fascinated with the findings.

I can't remember ever hearing about an actual diagnostic code being thrown for the failure of these switches. It seems to be the case that they gradual wear out over time, increasing clutch pack wear a significant amount before the ecu ever throws a code.

Even though I do not own an auto, I was considering trading my car in for one.
Old October 18th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #4
SFL AV6

Good find OP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jiga21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #5

Transmission Problem

The shift pressure switches make all the difference on these automatics and I would say anyone with this V6 automatic should change them if you have 80,000 miles or more. It can actually make a difference even before that high of mileage. The parts are so inexpensive online and so easy to replace it really is something that should be done to help keep the transmission lasting longer.

The shift pressure switches have been discussed here on v6performance before in the Transmission Problem thread.

Transmission problems
Jaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #6

@2 Amigos, thanks buddy. But for a second you made me excited. lol i though I had one more switch to replace and gain more smoothness. haha but it was the gasket
@gwiffer, well mine had been throwing codes for a long time. And these actually do not show up on normal scan tools that check the engine codes. You have to have scan tool that checks the transmission codes too.

@jiga21, thanks buddy. Just trying to help out fellow 7thGen'ers, and also keep the forum active.

@Jaster, ohh ya thanks for pointing that out, I actually was impressed from the feedback on that thread, that really encouraged me to buy them. AND YES, I do recommend everyone to do this. VERY VERY EASY,
Old October 18th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #7

@Jaster, bro it talks about Shift Solenoid filter needing to be cleaned. but when I googled it, it didn't show anything for the 7th gen but a lot of results for the 6th gen. Do you have any info on this particular fix?
Old October 19th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliGhanizad View Post
@Jaster, bro it talks about Shift Solenoid filter needing to be cleaned. but when I googled it, it didn't show anything for the 7th gen but a lot of results for the 6th gen. Do you have any info on this particular fix?
There are 3 little metal screen pipe filters inside of the linear solenoid block. After you remove the linear solenoid block you will see the 3 pipe filters that can be pulled out and checked for debris. If any debris is found used compressed air or brake cleaner to remove the debris then put it all back together. Do not lose the 3 o-rings that go to the 3 pipe filters. The picture below will help with a visual of their location.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Linear Solenoid Block location

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Linear Solenoid Pipe Filters

Old October 19th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #9

Jasper, are those 3 things you are pointing to in the last photo the actual filters?
Old October 19th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Amigos View Post
Jasper, are those 3 things you are pointing to in the last photo the actual filters?
Yes, you can just pull them out.

Old October 19th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #11
Carpe Diem

I'm going to give this a shot next time I change my tranny fluid. Hopefully I can find where the switches go.
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #12

Thanks Jaster. Will I need a new gasket when I check my shift solenoid filters??
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #13

Any pics of the pipe filters removed from the solenoid block?
Old October 19th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikethegreat View Post
I'm going to give this a shot next time I change my tranny fluid. Hopefully I can find where the switches go.
The shift pressure switches are very easy to get to. Raise the drivers front wheel side of the car and remove the wheel. You will then be able to see the shift pressure switches right in front of you. This is such an easy job to do that anyone that has the tools to lift car and remove drivers side wheel can do this job. The 3rd gear shift pressure switch has a black plastic cover over it and will need to be moved out of the way before you can access the switch. I did not have a picture so the picture below is one taken by someone else but I have marked where the shift pressure switch locations are to help with the repair. Do not over tighten the switches when installing the manual states to tighten to 14 lbs-ft. The shift pressure switches are also color coded so it is easy to know which switch goes in which location. The top 4th gear switch is beige/brown in color and the lower 3rd gear switch is black/grey in color.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Accord V6 Auto 7th Gen Shift Pressure Switch Locations

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Accord 7th Gen shift sensors old and new style

Old October 19th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #15
Carpe Diem

Thanks for the picture, it does look pretty simple!
Old October 19th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #16

I'm about to do a ATF change in a few minutes. I wanted to know if any of you, especially Jaster, can guide me through the part numbers for ATF (filter) I went to the local stealership, and they gave me that (hahah dumbass) look. lol

Is there any tutorial for it, part number etc for v6. Any help greatly appreciated.
Old October 19th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #17

I would get #7 (filter) #22 (rubber gasket), #21 (o ring), and two #24 (crush washers).
Honda Automotive Parts
BLCKFLSH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 19th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #18

hmmm thanks for the post buddy, now i got a question. Is this pretty simply to uninstall/install. And btw, i just did the fluid change, since its in the top part, I don't thing the fluid would leak right? or probably should be like a engine oil filter's leak?
Old October 19th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #19

Parts needed for ATF Element (filter) replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliGhanizad View Post
I'm about to do a ATF change in a few minutes. I wanted to know if any of you, especially Jaster, can guide me through the part numbers for ATF (filter) I went to the local stealership, and they gave me that (hahah dumbass) look. lol

Is there any tutorial for it, part number etc for v6. Any help greatly appreciated.
Parts needed that should be replaced:

QTY
1 ----- 25450-RAY-003 Element ATF
2 ----- 94109-12000 WASHER, DRAIN PLUG (12MM)
1 ----- 91301-RAY-004 O-RING (48.5X2.95) (ARAI)
1 ----- 91302-RAY-003 FILTER, GASKET

All of the parts together only cost "about" $26 online.

Here are a couple of links to threads showing pictures and how to change out the filter:

Start on post #11 for the ATF oil filter part.
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...placement.html

03 V6 2Door Auto Transmission Filter change - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Old October 19th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #20

sweettt thanks
Old October 19th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #21
03 AV6 Coupe

Nice write up ALI. I replaced my 3rd and 4th gear pressure sensors as well about 10K ago on my 03 Accord V6 Auto. They werent bad yet but I did it as preventative maintenance. Very cheap and easy fix and will save lots of money down the road.

Injen CAI
Magnaflow CBE
UR Pulley
Richie's V3 J-Pipe
J35 Magnesium IM
MDX IM Spacer
P2R Thermal Gaskets
TB Coolant Bypass
Innovative 60A Mounts
Koni Yellows/Eibach Pro Kit
TL-S Rear Sway Bar
Neuspeed Strut Bar
hondav6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 20th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #22

@hondav6, yeah buddy. Even if they are not bad, I recommend replacing them because I read somewhere on the forums , that these are the main culprit for the transmission failure in the v6 trannies, i forgot who wrote that post but he did a good research on um
Old October 22nd, 2012, 02:42 PM   #23
Ric

Good info!
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 2nd, 2012, 07:13 AM   #24

Hi,

I came across some of your post and was amazed how similiar your answers is related to my problem I'm having with my car.

I have a 2003 V6 Honda Accord Coupe, recently purchase and there was no problems. Mileage is just over 70K.

The problem I'm having is the tranny is slipping after 2nd gear. From 1-2 it rolls over fine, from 2-3 is where the problem occurs.

Is this a easy fix such as changing the 3rd gear pressure switch or can it be somee other problem?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
apinder_80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 7th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by apinder_80 View Post
Hi,

I came across some of your post and was amazed how similiar your answers is related to my problem I'm having with my car.

I have a 2003 V6 Honda Accord Coupe, recently purchase and there was no problems. Mileage is just over 70K.

The problem I'm having is the tranny is slipping after 2nd gear. From 1-2 it rolls over fine, from 2-3 is where the problem occurs.

Is this a easy fix such as changing the 3rd gear pressure switch or can it be somee other problem?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Changing the shift pressure switches is very easy to do and that is where you need to start. The new Honda ATF that is now sold is a lot better than the previous fluid so changing out your ATF would be the next step to see if that fixes your problem. If it does not there are more steps that you can try. Here is an old summary of things you can try that I posted a long time ago. Good Luck

Transmission problems

Old December 9th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #26

Thanks! I will try and see if that improves the performance. You're very helpful!
apinder_80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #27
Carpe Diem

This turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would be. Removing the driver's side wheel allowed for very easy access. The 4th gear switch is the easiest of the two to reach. To get to the 3rd gear switch, you just have to remove two 10mm bolts to move the metal cover out of the way. Can't say I've noticed any difference but if it prolongs the life of the tranny any, I guess it was worth it.

Old January 7th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #28
Mr. Detail

Have to put this on my to-do list, along with an upgrade to the new Z1 ATF.
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 4th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #29

I just did this today and man was it worth it. I only have 34k miles on the car, but already noticed a difference. The major thing I noticed was now doing 65mph I'm only running at 1700-1800 RPM as opposed to the 2,000 I was before. 2,000-2,100 RPM @ 70mph now. I've already done a 3x drain & fill at 25k so she is shifting extraordinary smooth Thanks Ali for the OP!

'07 EX-L V6 HFP Coupe w/ Navi
Graphite Pearl / Black Leather

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DreaminAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 24th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #30

Just as a side note, I'm coming from a 07 TL Type S, and on that vehicle, there were 2 4th gear switches and one 3rd gear switch. That vehicle was also a 5 speed auto, so I assumed it would be the same tranny, but I'll double check to make sure.
Soopadoopa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.