Excessive oil consumption, P0420 and P0430 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2012, 03:29 PM   #1

Excessive oil consumption, P0420 and P0430

Over the past few weeks my car has been throwing P0420 and P0430 catalyst slow reaction time codes and burning excessive oil, most noticeable during downshifts decelerating to a stop or during high rpm, high load. My exhaust tips are also coated with black residue. After doing some research on here it seems it could be either excessive ring blow-by, clogged pre-cats (my guess) or a clogged EGR. I have yet to take the J-pipe off to look to see if its clogged with carbon build up but I'm confused as to how this could cause excessive oil consumption? Other threads mention that its actually causing the engine to "suffocate"? Could my exhaust valves be bent? I've had random misfire codes before but only twice and I blamed those on crappy gas. I hope nothing internal is damaged
Any help would be appreciated on how to resolve this..
ethanemc505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #2

If the front cats have broken up and pieces have gotten sucked into the cylinders on decel, it'll wreck the rings real fast. The ceramic substrate of the cats is really good at scoring the cylinders should it get sucked inside.

Nissan Altima I4s are very good for this as can any car with close coupled cats.

A compression test and leak down test needs to be done.
RedThunder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #3

how much oil your car have left before 5k of kilometers?
misfire code means your coils or spark plugs aren't working correctly. check that first.
pollo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 5th, 2012, 07:48 AM   #4

After 6K miles I emptied out just over 2 quarts of oil. Probably too long of an oil change interval. I'll do a compression test and check the plugs + injectors when I take off the J pipe later this week (and take pictures). Would gutting the precats be a viable option? I live in Ohio and there certainly isn't any emissions testing. This is assuming no substantial damage has been done to the rings. About how much would it cost to replace those? Or do they just replace the entire short block? I have a feeling that is beyond my scope of mechanical ability.
Old March 5th, 2012, 08:22 AM   #5

if your engine is burning too much oil catalytic converter will not last more than a few kilometers, if is burning a lot of oil I recommend to remove the catalytic converter, 2 liters every 10k kilometers, is not too much but isn't normal. try using ticker oil (10w-30) or worst case (15w-40)
pollo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 5th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #6

Think 6k miles is too long between oil changes but 2 quarts seems like a lot for such a short time. Burning it like a rotary engine lol. Are you getting any sort of smoke out the exhaust?
Jakefrom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 5th, 2012, 10:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakefrom View Post
Think 6k miles is too long between oil changes but 2 quarts seems like a lot for such a short time. Burning it like a rotary engine lol. Are you getting any sort of smoke out the exhaust?
Yes, but only under heavy throttle and in the upper RPM band. WOT below say 3K RPM or just light cruising around town doesnt produce visible smoke. When it does smoke its mostly white and once I let off, but the exhaust tips are definitely getting black buildup.
Old March 12th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #8

Gutted the cats (wow the back was a pita to get to, as you can see I finally found a good angle) and upped the oil weight to 10w30 and it seems to be fixed :-) it makes an interesting new grumble now!
Old March 12th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #9
Pilot & Accord

Yeah, but it will still throw codes because the o2 sensors on a gutted cat will detect weird things going on. Just a thought.
TonyWare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #10

No cel yet 100 miles in!
Old March 13th, 2012, 03:25 AM   #11

Do you have any pics of the gutted cats? How did you do it?
gwiffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:56 AM   #12

Well bad news. Cel came back (not a big deal) and I started noticing more random poofs of smoke. Did a compression test and the backs all passed at 175+ psi but the fronts only managed 105-120, middle being the strongest. Blew up two gauge hoses testing :0 thankfully the nice woman at autozone was very friendly and forgiving and didn't charge me a penny. I'm going to retest soon after putting some oil in each of the front cylinders, let's hope it doesn't go up so it's not the rings but I have a feeling it is. Any idea how much it is to replace those? Would they have to bore the cylinders?
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #13

Here are some pics of my plugs btw..
Front left..only managed 105psi :-(
Old March 15th, 2012, 08:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwiffer View Post
Do you have any pics of the gutted cats? How did you do it?
No real pics but I have a video of my friend bashing the cat material out of the front one with a jack lever haha. I followed the service manuals instructions and took out the intermediate shaft to get to the back (was a real pita getting the 4 nuts off the block and smashed my hands up many times). Then the back slid right out. The front I ended up taking the heat shield off and the motor mount out (I have upgraded mounts so they're more compact than stock) and wiggled it out the top. Supposedly you can do it without taking the intermediate shaft out but instead removing the rear head cover and intake manifold but the intermediate shaft really wasn't difficult and I needed to change my Trans fluid anyways.
Old March 15th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #15

is that a v6 or 4 cyl
naughtyaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 15th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #16

am guessing 6 but not sure since i see 3 spark plugs in each pic
naughtyaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 15th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #17

FML. Rings are toast in the front. I need a rebuild or a new short block. Any idea how much this is going to cost me? I bought my car over a 330ci in hopes it would be more reliable. Ugh.
Old March 16th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #18

Pick up a used j30 or j32 instead and sell yours as a project engine.
Ilovemyvtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.