Timing belt change difficulty? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2012, 06:26 PM   #1

Timing belt change difficulty?

How difficult is it to change the timing belt on these accords? I did all maintenance with my past cars (98 civic lx, and 93 civic ex). and by maintenance i mean pretty much everything. including rebuilding that little 93 civics 4 cyl. d16z6.

Having this accord be my first v6 and just about reaching 90k, is it just as easy to replace the timing belt and etc. as it is on per say an older civic?

(just got this accord a couple months ago, just joined this forum a few months ago and im lovin all these clean accords!)

thanks!
Flips_Accordv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2012, 06:24 PM   #2

The main aggravation is the limited space to work. I did the timing belt in the driveway, and everything turned out good. I had to borrow a HUGE impact gun to get the crank pulley bolt off, but just regular tools for everything else. Just make sure you have everything lined up with the new belt before you put it all back together. Do you have a service manual? It was my first timing belt job, on a V6. I had changed the timing chain on a chevy 4 cylinder before. The V6 just has more pulleys to line up. Just about everything can be removed with a 3/8" ratchet, and 10 and 12 milimeter regular and deep sockets plus extensions. I believe the drive belt tensioner is 14mm and the crank bolt pulley bolt is 19mm. Take your time and make sure everything is right. What year is your Accord? There is a service bulletin for some V6 Accords, if you have a chirp sound coming from there.

http://dvpatel.homelinux.com/forumfiles/SB/A08-045.PDF

Last edited by BLCKFLSH; April 2nd, 2012 at 06:44 PM..
BLCKFLSH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:12 PM   #3

My accords an 03 so it doesnt apply to that service bulletin. but thanks for your reply! i just wanted someones input. I have pretty much all tools necessary including an impact wrench with a compressor.
Flips_Accordv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flips_Accordv6 View Post
My accords an 03 so it doesnt apply to that service bulletin. but thanks for your reply! i just wanted someones input. I have pretty much all tools necessary including an impact wrench with a compressor.
you should take pics and make a how to
sohclubkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 8th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #5

I dont have a lot of experience with timing belts, but do have mechanical skills and have worked at shops for several years.

I did the belt on my Accord last week. Pretty easy job with some experience and the right tools. I used a 3/4" impact gun on the crank pulley bolt (the 1/2" gun couldnt remove it), and since I did it at a shop, I could use the actual lift. You'll have to work from the top and bottom.

Getting to the cover bolts can be a pain because there's not a lot of room, but for the rest of the job, there's enough. I'd recommend unbolting the PS pump and moving it out of the way (I held it with a bungee cord) for more clearance.

The rear cam sprocket jumped out of alignment about a quarter turn as I was installing the new belt. It jumped again in the other direction when I tried to realigned it. On the third try it finally stayed in place (I turned it using a 17mm wrench). I was careful to not touch it too hard as I guided the belt. I also made marks on the old belt (relative to the cam and crank sprockets) and the new one in the exact same position to make installation easier.

If anyone has questions or needs tips let me know
2003 Black coupe 6-6MT (sold)
mc1114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 8th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #6

Anyone have an idea of what a Honda service shop would do it for? I've done a t-belt change on my old H22, just not sure I want to attack this one.
200366HFP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 8th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #7

it depends on the mechanic i went to a local shop to replace my timing belt and they charge me only 20
rchris06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 8th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchris06 View Post
it depends on the mechanic i went to a local shop to replace my timing belt and they charge me only 20
$20? You didn't get a timing belt change for that price. Maybe they changed the "Drive" belt for that.
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Maybe for a power steering belt. I know better than that.
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #10

it was the timing belt, it only took like 20 minutes to replace it
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200366HFP View Post
Maybe for a power steering belt. I know better than that.
rchris06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #11

Quote:
20 minutes to replace a timing belt? I don't think so. Maybe if the motor was sitting on the floor out of the car, MAYBE.
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #12
^ 037 aka LEO

Quote:
either the mechanic is a fool, or he fooled you...
- Z*Ro<3>sV"N - is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #13

Quote:
That belt you can see, with the hood open, is not the timing belt. You have to remove a lot of parts, just to see the timing belt. Do some research, and find out the difference between a timing belt, and a drive belt.
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #14

20 minutes. LMAO.
2 Amigos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 13th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #15

I think if you had three top techs (one at the bottom and two at the top)working on it at the same time, it would still be hard for them to do a timing belt in 20 minutes. Maybe, if they practiced it, and changed only the belt. It would have to be well planned.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 06:05 PM   #16

Just completed this on my 2003 6-6 today! New belt, tensioner, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, water pump, serpentine belt, and UR Underdrive pulley installed. No impact was taking my crank pulley off. Needed the special tool (O'Rielly sells them to you, and returns your money when you bring it back) and still needed a big pipe on the end of the breaker bar. Otherwise pretty standard job besides the noted space issue. Seems everything went well. I read from one of you guys about moving the power steering pump out of the way and that was a HUGE advantage space wise. Just wired it up out of the way, FYI for anyone thinking of tackling this job.
Old October 10th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #17

I did the timing belt on my Accord Hybrid with new tensioner and water pump in just a bit over four hours. The rear bank was the hardest to get the timing cover off and back on. I am not sure if there is any more clerance on the regular V6 models though.
georgy_d28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #18
az highway 88 touge' king

Quote:
the top mechanic at the dealership that i frequently go to and where my good friend works at takes him 2 hours to do it. the man is insanely good w/J-series. but 20 min....if thats the case then i am ur irish uncle.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.