Accord V6 Forum banner

06 V6 Accord - Replacing power steering pressure hose

36K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  mc1114 
#1 ·
Need to replace item #4.

How hard of a job is this to do? Any special info/instructions I need to know.

See less See more
#3 ·
The technical way to change it, is to unbolt the rear engine mount, and pull the hose out from under the mount. If you are very careful, and take your time, you can bend the metal part just enough to wiggle it through the mount without unbolting it. I did everything from above, because it's just impossible to see anything from under the car. I suggest using a line wrench to remove the flare-nut on the rack, and changing the o'rings on the pump end of the hose and the pressure switch.It's not an easy job. Removing the brackets that hold the hose is difficult, and putting them back on is even harder. Any questions?

#5 ·
It actually wasn't too bad to replace. Hardest part was just getting the lines in/out. Had to bend the end of the new one a little bit to fit it under the motor mount. Took less than 2 hours as well.

EDIT: Just make sure you get new O-Rings.

#7 ·
I did my last year. It costed me $97 for the part. taking the hose out was't a problem because i can bend it however i want. but putting the new one in took me hours. trying to remove right front wheels sneaking it in from a side but still didn't work. I ended up having to take out the engine mount.
in the middle of the work i wished i had paid $100 to my mechanic to do the work for me. lol

#9 ·
It was a huge pain in the ass.. Did it a few months ago. Had to do what was posted above. Take the rear motor mount out.. Jacked up the engine and it wasn't so bad after that.. It was getting to that point that took forever.

Good luck.. Take your time and try not to get frustrated.

#11 ·
The fact that I had bent the old line with no regard to how it looked when I got it out, and it didn't have any kinks in it, led me to believe I could get the new one in without damaging it. It took me about 2 hours, but most of that was spent trying to get one of the mounting brackets (the one closest to the rack fittings) back on and bolted to the frame. I almost just left that bracket off, but I was determined to get it done.

#12 ·
Careful in this install - catastrophic results

I just had my Honda Accord V6 2006 Power steering recall fixed. I came home and the car caught fire about eleven minutes after I parked in my garage. About 200k damage right now. Investigators say the probable cause is failure to follow installation procedures and clean up the fluid sprayed during installation. My advice - clean up the fluid if you have to do it yourself. This is a project that can have catastrophic results. Good luck.

#14 ·
I just had my Honda Accord V6 2006 Power steering recall fixed. I came home and the car caught fire about eleven minutes after I parked in my garage. About 200k damage right now. Investigators say the probable cause is failure to follow installation procedures and clean up the fluid sprayed during installation. My advice - clean up the fluid if you have to do it yourself. This is a project that can have catastrophic results. Good luck.
JESUS! too bad same thing happened to me, i posted in the recall thread about the **** job they did. i drove my car maybe 1 min after the recall and steam was bellowing from my car. pretty ironic that i went to prevent my car from catching on fire and they made it extremely possible. there was old ps fluid literally everywhere in my engine bay. i was so upset over it, i went back, *****ed at them, and they just offered a car wash. i said how about an engine bay cleaning

#15 ·
Important to Know

That is very important to know. If the Honda procedure for doing the recall or if the parts themselves are defective then Honda is responsible. If the mechanic does the recall wrong then the dealership is responsible. Perhaps both. Any others out there with a similar experience?

#25 ·
Ouch ^

As for installing the hose, I have also done it without touching the motor mount, by bending the new hose slightly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.