Which tires? Hankook Ventus Evo 12 or Falken Ziex 912? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Which tires?
Hankook Ventus Evo 12 7 43.75%
Falken Ziex 912 9 56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:46 PM   #1

Which tires? Hankook Ventus Evo 12 or Falken Ziex 912?

I am going to be getting new tires hopefully in about 2-3 weeks.

My (previously front) 2 OEM Michelins are badly worn at just over 22k miles, and the (previously rear) 2 OEM michelins are getting there at 42k+.

I hate the road noise and rough ride that the OEM Michelins produce, and I want a nice, COMFORTABLE, quiet ride...

Thinking between these two:

Hankook Ventus Evo 12:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...pager.offset=0

Falken Ziex 912:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=false&cs=215

Input would be appreciated.

Thanks
FollowingNFront is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2010, 10:50 PM   #2
FG4

two different types of tires, falken 360 tread wear so they will last longer and hankook have 280 meaning that they wont last as long but they are stickier idk about noise but if you want them to last then get the falken but for 5 dollars more you get a really good tire
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
two different types of tires, falken 360 tread wear so they will last longer and hankook have 280 meaning that they wont last as long but they are stickier idk about noise but if you want them to last then get the falken but for 5 dollars more you get a really good tire
I'm going to have dedicated winter tires on another set of rims too, so I will only be using whichever (Falken or Hankook) for 2.5 or so seasons.
Old June 1st, 2010, 09:23 AM   #4
Herp derp

I love my Hankooks. They aren't much noisier then my previous tires (BF-G gForce Sport, Yoko S.Drive, Kumho Ecsta SPT), but they provide better traction and ride.
civicdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 2nd, 2010, 02:30 AM   #5

Ok, well, I did some (somewhat) extensive driving on the way home from work tonight. Took some city streets pretty fast (and hit bumps), and also took the highway pretty fast and hit curves...

I think I know what I have been feeling lately. My car has OEM tires that are in need of changing so, A)They are getting unevenly worn, B)They are more and noisy and harsh than when new.

Granted, the Accord's suspension is pretty taut, BUT, I can take that if my suspension feels tight and not loose like it has been lately due to the need of an alignment, and the tires. I have been feeling like the car has been hitting bumps hard AND the handling wasn't as sharp as it used to be. THAT is what has been killing me. I figured, I want one if not both. But after the last alignment, the steering is nice and tight again.

I have decided that I want a good handling tire that WILL NOT have more road noise than OEM Michelins (of course I want tires that are going to be as quiet as possible), and will be slightly more comfortable. But mostly, I want a nice handling tire.

I am coming to this conclusion because I originally wanted the softer tires because I felt like the harder the tires are, the quicker my suspension will wear out, and the quicker the car will get knocked out of alignment. *Am I wrong or right in that assertion?*

But I realized that the sounds are really what bothers me. Both from the tires and interior. It makes it FEEL like the car hits bumps really really hard... The suspension is stiff, but stiff and harsh are two different things. I would rather keep the ride that it has now and get similar or slightly better handling, than to lose all handling to get SLIGHTLY more comfort. I mean, with a 50 sidewall, I don't know how much more comfortable its going to get anyway.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:20 PM   #6

With comfort and quietness as your top priorities, I would avoid the Hankook Evo 12...it is a summer tire, which inherantly will give a much firmer (less comfortable) ride. Also you'll likely get a short treadlife ~10-20k.

If I were to retread my oem 17" wheels with a comfortable/quiet tire, i'd look into the Michelin Primacy MXV4. Very well rated tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....l=Primacy+MXV4
Ingalls camber/toe kit
Comptech rear sway bar
18x8" TL Aspec Silverstars
235/40-18" Bridgestone RE760
Injen cold air intake

2004 RSX Type-S 6sp Milano Red
Aspec underbody lipkit
17x7.5" Aspec 225/45-17 Michelin pilot sport
Jon2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:24 PM   #7
MADE IN THE PHILIPPINES

i've owned two sets of evos and 912's. go for the FALKENS.
aV6Pinoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:33 PM   #8

Ziex!
JCharged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:18 AM   #9

i just got back from a mountain run with my falken ze912 tires and they handle amazing! i was really surprised by how fast my car took the turns! i dont know about the hankook tires but if u get the falkens the handling will be good!!!

Last edited by paperboy42190; June 3rd, 2010 at 06:34 AM..
paperboy42190 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:44 AM   #10
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

I'm a Falken fanboy, so I say the 912s. Had them on my stock 6mt wheels and they were far better than the stock Michelins.
Accordian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:25 PM   #11

What's your budget?

Have you looked into the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 Pole Position? Or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus?
alpha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:31 PM   #12
Supercharger coming soon

well me and my falkens whipped a turn so fast people's head turned around like the exorcist...huge the road and take fight with falken (in a morgan freeman voice)
Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.56thgen View Post
well me and my falkens whipped a turn so fast people's head turned around like the exorcist...huge the road and take fight with falken (in a morgan freeman voice)
hellz yea! during my mountain run yesterday, we had a group of 16 cars including a F430 and SL55, and I was keeping up just fine!(we weren't racing) thankgoodness for the falkens!
Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
What's your budget?

Have you looked into the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 Pole Position? Or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus?
Well, I was hoping to spend only around $500 with tires mounted and balanced. I definitely don't want to spend $800 for some OEM crappy Michelins
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.56thgen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboy42190 View Post
hellz yea! during my mountain run yesterday, we had a group of 16 cars including a F430 and SL55, and I was keeping up just fine!(we weren't racing) thankgoodness for the falkens!
I have heard from someone on another forum for Dodge Intrepid's that he had the Ziex 912's a couple of times, and they always developed bad vibrations toward the end of their lives.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingNFront View Post
I am going to be getting new tires hopefully in about 2-3 weeks.

My (previously front) 2 OEM Michelins are badly worn at just over 22k miles, and the (previously rear) 2 OEM michelins are getting there at 42k+.
you know if you did regular tire rotations that one set would have lasted you ~30k miles without any of the 4 getting terribly worn... rotate the tires every other oil change when you get the new ones on so they last longer than 20k miles...

I have Falken tires on my car (forget which ones...I didn't buy em, they were on there when I got it ) I like them a lot.

Try this site. http://www.vulcantire.com
Cheapest tires I've ever seen! I can't see the prices at discount...site has an error when you try to go to it.

Last edited by tsiah; June 3rd, 2010 at 10:43 PM..
tsiah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Well, I was hoping to spend only around $500 with tires mounted and balanced. I definitely don't want to spend $800 for some OEM crappy Michelins

I have heard from someone on another forum for Dodge Intrepid's that he had the Ziex 912's a couple of times, and they always developed bad vibrations toward the end of their lives.
I've had a few set of Falken 512s, and they definetly developed vibrations after the wore in...they do not hold their balance very well from my experiance.

Lets be honest, Falken is a budget brand for tires. The quality control and engineering that's build into their tires is not as good as Michelin/Bridgestone etc. I'm a firm beleiver that you get what you pay for. Even though you read on this forum that our OEM Michelin tires suck, etc, quality control is top notch for Michelin. Michelin tires are consistantly the most round tires (as can be proven on the Hunter 9700 RoadForce balancer), and the quality also shows by requiring the fewest weighs to balance them out; this leads to a tire holding it's balance longer over time as it wears. Ask any tire shop, and they'll tell you Michelins are some of the top.

I agree with many of the posters here though...Falken tires do grip well when they are new, but that's really only a small peice of the puzzle when it comes to tires.

For a tire to fit your price point, i'd look into the Continential Extream Contact DWS...price is real good, and the reviews are extreamly well received.
Ingalls camber/toe kit
Comptech rear sway bar
18x8" TL Aspec Silverstars
235/40-18" Bridgestone RE760
Injen cold air intake

2004 RSX Type-S 6sp Milano Red
Aspec underbody lipkit
17x7.5" Aspec 225/45-17 Michelin pilot sport
Jon2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #17

Every set of falken tires I've mounted balanced out with minimal weights. The set that's on my prelude right now has about 20K miles and I've never needed to rebalance them.
Old June 5th, 2010, 01:42 AM   #18
Honda Accord Cpe Stealth

Send a message via AIM to StealthNShadow
ZIEX for the win....thats what I have on my car currently with my HFPs.....225/45/18......and they are great all season long as I use mine in the winter.....so that would be my choice again if I had to make the same one

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
StealthNShadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 12th, 2010, 03:18 AM   #19

Ok guys so I did some reading up on tirerack and I am thinking of either the Continental ExtremeContact DW, and Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

In 225/50/17 the DW's are $561 shipped, and the DWS's are $537 shipped

In 215/50/17 the DW's are $532 shipped, and the DWS's are $517 shipped (but the DWS in this size are on backorder).

Anybody have any input on these tires? From the reviews they are both pretty comfortable, grippy tires and have just a tad less steering feel but are overall great.

One thing I don't like is that TireRack doesn't offer roadhazard protection for these tires.

What do you guys think?
Old June 12th, 2010, 03:26 AM   #20

Quote:

One thing I don't like is that TireRack doesn't offer roadhazard protection for these tires.

What do you guys think?
I think....what's life without a little risk?
Old June 12th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboy42190 View Post
I think....what's life without a little risk?
Lol I have much risk in my life as it is lmao... Why not some more

Also I looked into the General Altimax HP's.

In 215/50/17 (Altimax HPs dont come in 225/50 according to tirerack) the General Altimax HPs are $533 shipped WITH roadhazard.

However, overall, these tires get about a 8.3 rating on Tirerack (not the best gauge I know), whereas the Continentals above rate at 9.1 and 8.7 respectively. Still not counting these out though.
Old June 12th, 2010, 03:54 AM   #22

Ok so I just checked discounttiredirect.com and I found the Extremecontact DW's in 225/50 for $600 shipped WITH roadhazard for 3 years.

They are actually $620 shipped on the site, but they said "found it cheaper somewhere else, let us know". And on Tirerack these tires are $130 vs. $135 on Discounttire, so that saves me $20 if I let them know Im sure, because it sounds like they are going to price match.

$600 is more than I was trying to spend but, I guess good tires come at a price huh. I still have to get them mounted and balanced after that. That will come out to like $700 for tires in the end... I was hoping to hit around $550 MAYBE $600 tops

Well, I also checked Discounttire for the ExtremeContact DW in 215/50, and in that size, WITH roadhazard, it seems it will be $568 shipped, which is a little more to my liking but not by THAT much...
Again though, Discounttire has these tires priced at $128, whereas Tirerack has them priced at $123, so if Discounttire pricematches, then it will be $568 shipped versus the advertised $588...

Now I have to decide on whether having a 225 sidewall versus a 215 (stock) is worth the extra $30 (If I end up getting this tire. Still not quite sure yet because of the price)
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #23

?iguess
lochan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to johnb35711
Quote:
Now I have to decide on whether having a 225 sidewall versus a 215 (stock) is worth the extra $30 (If I end up getting this tire. Still not quite sure yet because of the price)
You realize that the 215 and 225 number is the width of the tire? There would also be a larger sidewall if the aspect ratio of 50 is the same for both. I wouldn't recommend going higher in width since your 06 v6 rims are only 6 inches wide. The 225 will just be heavier, and not worth it for you.

Also, check craigslist for tires. I picked up 4 falken ziex 912's for $150 for all four with only a few weeks of use. Yes i know, i'm lucky, but i wouldn't consider 215/50R17 a rare tire size at all.
johnb35711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to rjp6262
if its worth anything i just put on some of Continentals DWS tires. loving them so far. so much grip is available from the tires than the car can handle lol
rjp6262 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb35711 View Post
You realize that the 215 and 225 number is the width of the tire? There would also be a larger sidewall if the aspect ratio of 50 is the same for both. I wouldn't recommend going higher in width since your 06 v6 rims are only 6 inches wide. The 225 will just be heavier, and not worth it for you.

Also, check craigslist for tires. I picked up 4 falken ziex 912's for $150 for all four with only a few weeks of use. Yes i know, i'm lucky, but i wouldn't consider 215/50R17 a rare tire size at all.
Yeah I know 225 is the width... I mustve been in a hurry when I wrote that... One thing though, even though they would both have 50 sidewalls, the sidewall on the 225 one will be marginally taller because the "50" is the percentage of the width. But yeah...

And wow great deal... Im gonna check out craigslist and Ebay for Continentals... I am really sold on them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjp6262 View Post
if its worth anything i just put on some of Continentals DWS tires. loving them so far. so much grip is available from the tires than the car can handle lol
Wow that is great news. What year and model Accord do you drive?
Old June 17th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #27
LaLaLaLa

Send a message via AIM to stupidaznmunkey
im with falkens - i had them on my car when my car was slammed and it lasted way longer than my older tires

hardly any tire screech either

they are still on my accord, but...not slammed lol
stupidaznmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 20th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Ok so I just checked discounttiredirect.com and I found the Extremecontact DW's in 225/50 for $600 shipped WITH roadhazard for 3 years.

why not a 225/45? drop some aspect ratio if you're increasing the width and that should keep you about the same overall tire diameter.

ah...check out http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

225/50 makes the speedo read 1.5% slow. 225/45 makes it 1.9% fast.
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:02 PM   #29

Ok guys,
Well I have made my choice about what tires I am going to get... Let me break it down...

The tires that I decided on were the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires for my OEM AV6 rims in size 215/50/17, but it turns out that doing that would cost me between $650 and $720 bought, mounted and balanced.

At the moment that is a little too much for me... So..... I am expecting these to be shipped out to me tomorrow: (the tires are Nitto NT850 tires in size 225/50/17, which are mounted and balanced, and only have about 5,000 miles on them... I have read good reviews about these tires being quiet and comfortable while still handling well):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passat774 View Post
Here it goes for a second try... Did not have the right pictures. For the forums here

I striped the paint and polish those wheels to a shine. Ok, it was not that easy but they certainly look great.

Here is what I did:

Paint Stripper

80 Grit Sand Paper with a orbital sander
220 Grit Sand Paper with a orbital sander
400 Grit Sand Paper with a orbital sander
600 Grit Sand Paper with a orbital sander
800 Grit Sand Paper with a orbital sander
1000 by Hand
1500 by Hand

Then Polishing Mops with a drill

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Item: 2009 Acura TSX Wheels Hand Polished
Size: 17x7.5
Offset: + 55
Construction: 1 piece
Finish: Polished
Manufactured by: Enkei
Center Caps: Acura

TPMS: Honda Accord

Item: Nitto 850
Size: 225/50/17
Speed Rating: 98V

These tires are awesome compared to the OE Michelins I had on the car. They handle like a performance tire but not with the harsh ride.

http://www.nt850.com/

Condition: Great, about 5k worth of miles on the tires (50k Treadlife Warranty)

Shipping: Willing to ship via UPS at buyers expense

Reason For Selling: Sold my car

Send me a PM or email at jayjoesmith@hotmail.com

These wheels will fit 7th and 8th gen Accords with no problems... Email for fitment questions
Hopefully they will be just what I am expecting.
Old June 29th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #30

Turns out the deal fell through... Last night the seller (you can see his name in my above post) asked me for my address to send it to (via email), and then today apologized that he had to sell to someone else. And didn't call me back when I called.

Cant believe much anymore...

Anyway, What do you guys think about Goodyear Eagle GT F1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.