windshield replacement Q - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #1
CeRtiFiEd PimP

windshield replacement Q

I need to get my windshield replaced and been reading to go with ap tech ppg or pilkinton as my last option. Auto glas shop said window, tint band etc will be exact same. Anyone have experience with any of these brands. I like the way my stock tint is and wish it to be the same.
03c0upe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03c0upe View Post
I need to get my windshield replaced and been reading to go with ap tech ppg or pilkinton as my last option. Auto glas shop said window, tint band etc will be exact same. Anyone have experience with any of these brands. I like the way my stock tint is and wish it to be the same.
i have an aftermarket windshield. it says "safelite" on the bottom corner. its an okay windshield i guess but its more prone to rock chips than OEM.

edit: nvm, mine doesnt say safelite.

Last edited by paperboy42190; April 10th, 2010 at 08:55 PM..
paperboy42190 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 8th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #3
girl powah!!

Send a message via AIM to 03aV6cpe
i'm curious about the same as i may be replacing mine too...

Official Slammed Club Member (Stage 3)
Featured Ride Of The Month (June-July 2010)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
03aV6cpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 8th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

My advice, go to the Honda dealership and have them use OEM glass. I went with Safelite and it's a horrible windshield. It has imperfections toward the bottom where it makes the road appear warped and I can hear air coming in when I'm going over 75mph. Never again.
Accordian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 8th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #5
CeRtiFiEd PimP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordian View Post
My advice, go to the Honda dealership and have them use OEM glass. I went with Safelite and it's a horrible windshield. It has imperfections toward the bottom where it makes the road appear warped and I can hear air coming in when I'm going over 75mph. Never again.
my oem window is made by ap tech. does your safelite have the same color and same dimensions as your orignal windshield? not saying im gonna get that,jus curious
Old April 8th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #6

Quote:
mine doesnt appear warped. but when its raining the glass seems to smear and have marks where the windshield wipers have gone through.(yes i have brand new wipers) reduces visibility a little at night during the rain. yea i would also suggest OEM, its just simply the best
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #7

who makes OEM glass. I saw a post on AZ but I lost it. My windshield is also F'd Up

I believe its was

Pilkington or PPG
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 8th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #8

just had mine replace. aptech makes the one for honda. the guy who installed it for me said its the exact same thing, made by the same company. only difference is the honda stamp on it. so if it says aptech then its the oe one just without the stamp. its like 3x as much for just the stamp
tophoplz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to cmriv
Quote:
never again. enough said ha!
Old April 9th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #10

I had mine replaced about a year ago.. I am thoroughly disappointed... I'm not sure if it's the way the guy installed it (I almost had to attack him when he decided to sit in my driver seat and try to kick out the window bc he didn't cut the seams well) or if the glass is bad.. I have a Pilkington and it is warped as 'CMRIV' said and it definitely brings in a lot of noise where as my cabin used to always be quiet on the highway when pushing 90...

Oh yeah, also while using his little electric saw, he cut the fabric on the pillars a bit and now the fabric bubbles.. But I've been wanting to suede them out anywayz I guess..

Bottom line- It pays to get it done right
GreekFreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 9th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #11
CeRtiFiEd PimP

so is the tint color and dimensions the same of the aftermarket windshield?/??
Old April 10th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #12

Quote:
so jw, how does windshield affect wind noise? wouldnt that be the quality of the seal, not the windshield itself?
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekFreak View Post
I had mine replaced about a year ago.. I am thoroughly disappointed... I'm not sure if it's the way the guy installed it (I almost had to attack him when he decided to sit in my driver seat and try to kick out the window bc he didn't cut the seams well) or if the glass is bad.. I have a Pilkington and it is warped as 'CMRIV' said and it definitely brings in a lot of noise where as my cabin used to always be quiet on the highway when pushing 90...

Oh yeah, also while using his little electric saw, he cut the fabric on the pillars a bit and now the fabric bubbles.. But I've been wanting to suede them out anywayz I guess..

Bottom line- It pays to get it done right
They had to kick the windshield out of my mom MDX also. First he applied pressure and then you see all the micro cracks just come out of no where and rip across the windshield. After that. It was 100 bucks insurance covered the rest. But yeah there is a lot more noise compared to stock. I am really worried about my windshield also since I have to replace it soon.
TL-S magnesium intake manifold|P2R TB spacer
OutLaw Engineering thermal Spacer|Coolant By-Pass|Check Valve Delete|AEM CAI|Front and rear BBK
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #14
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboy42190 View Post
so jw, how does windshield affect wind noise? wouldnt that be the quality of the seal, not the windshield itself?
I'm not 100% sure. It could be either the windshield being slightly warped at the top so it didn't seal right or the installer sucked and he didn't seal it right. Don't know.
Old April 11th, 2010, 01:49 AM   #15

how much would dealer charge to replace windshield with oem one?
Old April 11th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #16

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure. It could be either the windshield being slightly warped at the top so it didn't seal right or the installer sucked and he didn't seal it right. Don't know.
Could also be that the windshield itself is made of different/inferior materials or it's thinner, or something along those lines
N4TECguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 11th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #17

My friend who works for Guardian Automotive Glass Distribution says that either PPG (now called PGW) or AP Tech is OE for Honda's. They switched from AP Tech to PPG around '03 or '04. If you can find PPG or AP Tech, that's your best bet if you want OE. If you can find Guardian, he would suggest that over anything else. Pilkington, Safelite, PGW and AP Tech are all made overseas. Guardian is made in the USA. Your aftermarket SKU #'s are FW02387 if you have a sunroof, and FW02358 if you do not. They sell to the glass shops for about $65.00 and $77.00 respectively. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Arlorn87; April 11th, 2010 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: Typo
Arlorn87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #18
CeRtiFiEd PimP

does anyone know of a website where u can enter vehicle info and it tells you the description of the windshield. i cant remember the one i went to
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #19
CeRtiFiEd PimP

ok i have the choice of "PPG" or "lamisafe ap tech". My oem windshield says AP tech lamisafe m334 as1 dot 376. Glass shop says ppg is american made but other shop said its china made so who knows.

What should i go for?
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #20

Made in USA. Get the good stuff.
Old April 13th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #21
CeRtiFiEd PimP

I went with the Oem honda windshield. Honda price matched to the after market windshield price since it wasnt too much of a difference

Last edited by 03c0upe; April 13th, 2010 at 06:16 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.