5W-20 Honda Synthetic Blend Motor Oil - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to fenixv
5W-20 Honda Synthetic Blend Motor Oil

I was about to order some maintenance items from HandA. About 1/3 of the way down http://www.handa-accessories.com/accmaint06.html I saw this:

5W-20 Honda Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
Genuine Factory Honda 5W-20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil, 1 quart bottle.
An all-season, synthetic blend motor oil that provides optimum engine protection. Surpasses Honda vehicle requirements to further minimize harmful engine deposits and maximize fuel economy. Meets or exceeds API certification and ILSAC GF-5 peformance requirements for gasoline engines.
Honda Genuine is the only motor oil that is tested and approved by Honda R&D.

Anybody heard about this stuff? I know there are some threads on here talking about why we should/shouldn't use synthetic. I was surprised to see a Honda labeled synthetic for 06-07 accords. The price for a case of this is very cheap (12 1-quart bottles for $29).

I've been using mobil 1 5w-30 from costco for about 20k miles but am thinking about switching up to this. Any thoughts?
fenixv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to 99VTECCoupe
There are a million oil discussions just on this forum. In normal driving and normal intervals it really doesn't matter as long as you don't put in some crazy grade or non-API oil. Anyone that tells you otherwise is full of it IMO For me it's 5W-30 high mileage dino, my mail seal leaks too bad on syn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99VTECCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 12th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #3
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

From what I remember, Honda uses Mobil 1, so I'm guessing it's Mobil 1 rebranded as Honda snythetic, but that's just my speculation.

I've been using Mobil 1 5w20 for 40,000+ miles now with zero issues.
Accordian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 12th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #4
Banned

mobil 1 is full syn, this is blend, my guess is its conocco phillips which also makes that motorcraft syn blend.
Lxcord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 13th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to fenixv
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99VTECCoupe View Post
There are a million oil discussions just on this forum. In normal driving and normal intervals it really doesn't matter as long as you don't put in some crazy grade or non-API oil. Anyone that tells you otherwise is full of it IMO For me it's 5W-30 high mileage dino, my mail seal leaks too bad on syn.
I hear you dude. I've seen a ton of them. I was just curious about the "Genuine Honda" branded synthetic blend. This was the first I've seen it.
fenixv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 13th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to 99VTECCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixv View Post
I hear you dude. I've seen a ton of them. I was just curious about the "Genuine Honda" branded synthetic blend. This was the first I've seen it.
It's probably good oil if you want to stretch out your intervals. I would ask the guys at s2ki.

99VTECCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 14th, 2010, 12:17 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Knale
I was picking up some parts at a dealer last week and I saw the synthetic blend oil on the shelf, but I didn't happen to look at the details on the label. If in fact Honda oils are Mobil, then it is probably the same as Mobil Clean 7500, which is a synthetic blend.
Knale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 14th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #8
-bananavillage

Honda is just a brand, they dont make the oil. Some oil company out there which Honda entrusted makes the oil and Honda just puts its sticker on it.
wjteng90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 14th, 2010, 01:50 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Accord_V6_400m
Whats the part number on this oil?
Accord_V6_400m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 14th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #10

Here's an interesting thread that will likely answer most of your questions (and maybe more!)about the Honda synthetic blend oil.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=53472
Old December 18th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #11

The honda oil is all made by mobil, normal oil is clean 5000, synthetic is mobil1
cmhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 19th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhonda View Post
The honda oil is all made by mobil, normal oil is clean 5000, synthetic is mobil1
It used to be made by Mobil but not anymore - at least in the US. Maybe you should take the time to read some of the above link.

Last edited by ypsibird; December 19th, 2010 at 09:05 PM..
ypsibird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 20th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #13

I been using 5w-20 M1 full syn for 15k miles with Honda filter. 3 oil changes and it comes out from the engine like recently poured. Same thing on the Pilot and it had 22k miles on the clock.

Rafael
rafael73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.