hard to shift into 3rd on 6 speed. Anyone else? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #1

hard to shift into 3rd on 6 speed. Anyone else?

My car has slowly developed a reluctance to go into 3rd gear, especially at low speeds. Many times when I'm poking along in traffic and try to slip it into 3rd, it feels like the linkage binds up. If I keep applying pressure it eventually slips in, but its definitely not as smooth as the other gears. The car is a commuter and is never raced or abused. And for the record I've been driving manual transmission cars for 15 years.

Has anyone else had this problem? What was the fix? It only happens occasionally so I know if I take it in, I'm going to get the "couldn't replicate the problem" response from the dealership.
SlvrBllt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #2
indoctidiscant

Send a message via AIM to OwAce
its a common problem on the 6spd tranny. Honda will address it as it sees fit. take it to your dealer.
OwAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 15th, 2006, 10:55 AM   #3

It happens to me too.

I thought it might be the dog cut on the syncro, but it only happens sometimes

More when it's cold out.

I'm now thinking that when it's cold the shift fork might shift plane off sligtly because of the contraction in the metal.

I'm taking it in this weekend.
6MTV6-ACCORD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old February 15th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MTV6-ACCORD
It happens to me too.

I thought it might be the dog cut on the syncro, but it only happens sometimes

More when it's cold out.

I'm now thinking that when it's cold the shift fork might shift plane off sligtly because of the contraction in the metal.

I'm taking it in this weekend.

I have the exact same issue, bringing it back next monday for the third time w/ this problem, last time they topped off the trans oil and told me to see if it got any better...arg.
sa863c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #5
6MT

Send a message via AIM to SlayerGTR
same here

does anyone know how long it'll take the dealer to fix it? Cuz I'll only have like 2 days tops to get it fixed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SlayerGTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #6
indoctidiscant

people on the TL and S2k forums have replaced their OEM tranny fluid with GM redline syncromesh fluid. ppl swear by it. my friend said it made no difference on his TL. i thought it did on my car.
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #7
darkside / gen7accord.com

Send a message via AIM to Blizzard
wow, crazy. My 3rd gear slides in beautifully.

definately check your transmission fluid... though it could be a synchro that's dead.

D a r k s i d e
Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #8
Banned

My car too! It happens randomly. To get it in gear I end up double clutching.

I also have issues with first gear once in a while. From a dead stop, it won't go all the way into gear. This has only happened a handful of times.....but still. What happened to Honda?

asuche03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuche03
My car too! It happens randomly. To get it in gear I end up double clutching.

I also have issues with first gear once in a while. From a dead stop, it won't go all the way into gear. This has only happened a handful of times.....but still. What happened to Honda?

You in AZ? Me thinks so based on ur SN.
6MTV6-ACCORD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to stevencrosbie
I know mine will not go into 2nd when its below 20 outside.....takes double or triple clutch......

I am hoping it goes away....I bought a manual so I won't have problems
stevencrosbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 15th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #11

yea my third is fine, but i do notice sometimes that is is hard to go from 1st-2nd! It feels really notchy and hard to put in at times
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 15th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #12

I have the same problem going into 3rd, though I've only had the car for 3 weeks in cold weather and hope it will loosen up. Please keep updating this thread with dealer fixes.

I had more of a problem going from 1st to 2nd on my 2004 TSX (same transmission), which was a commonly cited problem on Acura websites and sounds like it's happening to some of us. I never pursued that problem with the dealer. 1st to 2nd is no problem on my Accord 6 spd.
Wilfrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 15th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Jessica
I have encountered this problem too when its cold. I thought it may have been "user error" since I was the only one who noticed it when driving and the car is brand new. Now that I have read about everyone else's experience I'm going to bring it to the dealership!
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 15th, 2006, 10:43 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to AtLxkEvinx
hmmm. dont have the 3rd gear problem, but 2nd gear sometimes is hard to get into, i guess its kind of like andrews.
AtLxkEvinx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 16th, 2006, 01:05 AM   #15

When its really cold its hard to get into 1st and second, but after driving for a bit it goes in smoothly. try syncromesh it works great.
jaijai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 16th, 2006, 02:56 AM   #16
I feel da need 4 6-speeds

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
hmmmm...i have 43K miles on my 04 and the gears still shift smoothly as ever! i don't know if living in sunny San Diego is the reason, but i don't have the problem mentioned in this thread.

i race my car every once in a while...i get stuck in stop and go traffic every day to and from work...no problems!

i get my car regularly serviced at Fuller Honda (oil changes/maintenance service) so i don't know if that's a factor.
flyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 16th, 2006, 03:35 AM   #17
Official V6P Retro Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrBllt
My car has slowly developed a reluctance to go into 3rd gear, especially at low speeds. Many times when I'm poking along in traffic and try to slip it into 3rd, it feels like the linkage binds up. If I keep applying pressure it eventually slips in, but its definitely not as smooth as the other gears. The car is a commuter and is never raced or abused. And for the record I've been driving manual transmission cars for 15 years.

Has anyone else had this problem? What was the fix? It only happens occasionally so I know if I take it in, I'm going to get the "couldn't replicate the problem" response from the dealership.
have the same problem along with a bunch of others. I'm not sure wtf is up with shifting into 3rd. Seems like I have to wiggle it into 3rd.
dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 16th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MTV6-ACCORD
You in AZ? Me thinks so based on ur SN.
YEP. Arizona State University Chemical Engineer Class of 2003

Since temperature seems to be a big part of everyone's hypothesis I'll add my $.02.

My third gear problems happen pretty randomly. During the 115*F summer days and during the 40*F winter nights.

My first gear issues were during the summer and I don't recall it happening recently.

I can say that my clutch is temperature sensitive. I have to learn a completely new driving style depending on the weather on any given day. It seems that the clutch engagement point changes?!?!
asuche03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 16th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #19
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

I had the same problem with my '92 Accord EX, my 2002 Acura RSX-S and my '05 6-speed Coupe. Just a Honda thing I guess...doesn't bother me that much to be honest with you.

Fact is, the clutch and tranny on all 3 cars has never, ever had a problem. The '92 went almost 200,000 miles without any issues. I expect my '05 to run the same. Just a Honda quirk I guess.
mbr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 16th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #20
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Everybody here complaining about issues getting into 3rd has a 2005 or newer. Not a single 03 or 04 complaint, unless I might have missed one. I wonder if Honda did something to the trannys for 05 that fixed one thing but broke something else.

bye bye, will miss u :-( going... going... GONE

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 16th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #21
Smooth as Silk

Send a message via AIM to dymondawg
I have not had any issues worth complaining about with my 6MT. I bought it new in June 05 - hot summer days, no issues... It now has about 17k on it, and I still don't have any issues with 1st or 3rd (knock on wood). Now we're in the middle of a relatively mild winter here in Chicago, but the cold doesn't seem to bother the clutch engagement/synchros at all. Just my .02.
dymondawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #22

all the problems with 1st and 3rd gear...can they be fixed by installing a short shifter???

or is the problem beyond that...
vt4c4lif4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #23
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

generally putting a STS on something with a clunky linkage or generally poor shifter will only make things worse since the STS also increases required effort.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #24
indoctidiscant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Everybody here complaining about issues getting into 3rd has a 2005 or newer. Not a single 03 or 04 complaint, unless I might have missed one. I wonder if Honda did something to the trannys for 05 that fixed one thing but broke something else.
not tru. i have 3rd gear issues. i have an 04. jon2002 has an 03/04 and his tranny refused to shift the 2nd day. he got a new one.
Old February 19th, 2006, 10:43 PM   #25
6MT

Send a message via AIM to SlayerGTR
my lil 3rd gear grinding issue started like late summer and my car technically is a mid 05, wasn't a 1st batch that came out. I got her in july. 1-2 months later, i grinded it for the 1st time, cuz it wouldn't pop in all the way and I thought it was in all the way. I wonder if the CL-S had these problems

SlayerGTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #26
indoctidiscant

i can be honest, i only have 3rd gear issues when im shifting very very lazilly. and i may myself have not put the car completely into gear.
Old February 20th, 2006, 04:34 AM   #27
AV6 6spd w/ Navi

Send a message via AIM to AccordHawk
I have the same problem... third gear does not go in smoothly... and i end up double clutching sometimes... it bothers me but i figure i stil have warranty.. is that a bad idea? oh i have an 05 av6
AccordHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 21st, 2006, 08:14 AM   #28
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Quickshift160
ya i have the problem with 2nd but i abuse mine and race it so thats y when i first bot it the only problem was goin into 1st when slowing down but thats not a big deal....no 2nd is very sticky and 3rd has no problem
Quickshift160 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 21st, 2006, 08:35 AM   #29
indoctidiscant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickshift160
y when i first bot it the only problem was goin into 1st when slowing down but thats not a big deal....
ding ding ding!!! you need to NOT do that. shifting into first at speeds above 5-10mph is hazardous for your transmissions health.
Old February 21st, 2006, 09:07 AM   #30
Die-Hard Enthusiast!!

Send a message via AIM to Sick6speed Send a message via Yahoo to Sick6speed
I beat the hell out of my car and never have had a problem. I had the shift forks changed inside one time under warranty but other than that it has been like butter.
Sick6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.