G35 Sedan vs. Coupe HP/TQ - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > NISSAN and INFINITI
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2004, 10:47 AM   #1
I love you Cat...forever

Send a message via AIM to KCMC582
G35 Sedan vs. Coupe HP/TQ

since i have been lookin at these cars, i see lots and lots of sedans for sale, and like, no coupes in the area. i want the coupe, cuz it looks nicer and its got 20 more horses and 10 more TQ...but i coulda SWORN that i saw on here, maybe from steve, that the sedans were dynoing the same as the coupes. is this true? i tried a search but didnt get anything good. if they are the same in the power dept, it will just take a lot of lip kits and grills to improve the look of the sedan.
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #2
I love you Cat...forever

I also checked G35driver.com and freshalloy, and no one has compared the 2. i saw a post on here that plum made, about them producint the same amount of power, or close, but there was really no proof.
KCMC582 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #3

i was wondering hte same thing, but i know they have a different exhaust system on the coupe so that may be where the extra hp is coming from.
smokedoutv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #4
I love you Cat...forever

yeah, but i mean, 20 extra horses? either its just blatantly underreated, or the different exhaust give it say, 8 and 5, and they just stretch the truth a little. but lookin on g35driver, i have seen some BAD ASS sedans.

nemesis, go dyno your moms sedan and go see that site, its got some sweetness!
Old January 8th, 2004, 06:49 PM   #5
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Both the coupe and sedan 6MT's dyno at around 227-232 rwhp. The 5AT's dyno at 217-222 rwhp or so. There's no difference in power between sedan and coupe - they both dyno about the same. The sedan is under-rated to help separate the coupe as a higher performing car I guess. So the engine on both is realistically putting out 280hp/270tq.

Actually, the sedan does have a slim advantage at the track due to being slightly lighter. Oh, they both run about the same times at the track also. Best auto time stock was a 14.3 @ 97 I think. Best 6MT time was a 14.0 @ 100. Due to all the torque, the automatics really aren't that much slower than the manuals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bye bye, will miss u :-( going... going... GONE

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2004, 06:55 PM   #6
I love you Cat...forever

thank you steve, your information is GREATLY appreciated here. but i gotta ask now...how does the sedan have a weight advantage over the coupe? i mean, i dont doubt you, but isnt the coupe smaller all around, so wouldnt it weigh less? or am i just naive?
Old January 8th, 2004, 07:12 PM   #7

Hmm...well the main site to get Nissan info is www.nissannews.com

It's lagging right now (they just announced the 2005 Pathfinder with a 4.0L VQ40DE engine ) but another good site for specs is www.autosite.com which is usually pretty accurate.

G35c 6MT: 3435 lb
G35s 6MT: 3398 lb

Also the sedan 6mt comes with 17's vs the coupe with 18's. Larger wheels = heavier = more inertial losses = tougher to accelerate/brake so that works in favor of the sedan also.

www.g35driver.com

and naturally, NN clears up as soon as I get done with the post

http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/2...pe/specs.shtml
http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/2...35/specs.shtml
Old January 8th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #8

FYI, it looks like the new Maxima could be cranking out a lot more power than rated also. It's rated at 265hp/255tq but the times its been able to get at the track suggest more like the same 280hp/270tq as the G35s also. A guy just got a new personal best of 14.4 @ 96 in his 04SE auto. Yes, auto. It's getting hurt just a tad on weight and the FWD launch, but otherwise it's right on the heels of the G35 autos.
Old January 8th, 2004, 09:37 PM   #9
I love you Cat...forever

yeah, i was checking out g35driver, some good stuff there. ill try those other ones too. but even tho its right on the heels of the G in the speed department, its still back at the starting line in the looks department. it kinda looks like the altima and the new galant had a fat bastard child. we will see what this year brings...maybe ill wait a year til next tax return time, pay bills with this one, and save for the car with that one. thanks steve.
Old January 8th, 2004, 09:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by KCMC582 on January 8th, 2004 at 10:37 PM

it kinda looks like the altima and the new galant had a fat bastard child.

lol, np
Old January 14th, 2004, 05:30 PM   #11
530whp soon

Quote:
Originally posted by KCMC582
yeah, but i mean, 20 extra horses? either its just blatantly underreated, or the different exhaust give it say, 8 and 5, and they just stretch the truth a little. but lookin on g35driver, i have seen some BAD ASS sedans.

Since I also own a 04 G35 auto sedan I hang out on g35driver forum now most of the time since my Accord is in the shop (internals are coming ).

Since Steve posted manual numbers here are the AUTO numbers I posted on G35driver.com proving that sedan has similar results.

G35 auto coupe dyno: 222 (considering average based on 220-225)
G35 auto sedan dyno: 217 (considering average based on 216-218)

Difference: is what? 5whp .
Comparison:

Coupe formula: ------------------
222whp / 0.79 (21% auto drivetrain loss) = 281 crank hp

Sedan formula: ---------------
217whp /0.79 (21% auto drivetrain loss) = 275 crank hp.

Now keep in mind an additional weight difference by coupe being heavier then sedan.

Source - Infiniti.com
G coupe: 3,422 lbs - auto leather model
G sedan: 3,369 lbs - auto leather model
----------------------------------------
53 lbs auto vs. auto

G coupe: 3,435 lbs - 6MT leather model
G sedan: 3,398 lbs - 6MT leather model
--------------------------------------
37 lbs man vs. man

So as you can see the sedan horsepower is underrated to be 260 as Infiniti claims and looks like 275.

Even if ECU and exaust tuning being different its easily achievable to gain more.

'06 GTO 4-speed AUTO (Monaro conversion)
New setup: Forged 408ci (6.7L) All-motor coming - 53Xwhp/50Xwtq
Old time 11.16@121mph . Best trap - 123.4mph

'11 BMW X5 twin-turbo
'02 J32A2 AV6 - 12.8@108.7mph (sold)
02AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 15th, 2004, 01:25 AM   #12
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Quote:
Originally posted by KCMC582 on January 8th, 2004 at 01:18 PM

I also checked G35driver.com and freshalloy, and no one has compared the 2. i saw a post on here that plum made, about them producint the same amount of power, or close, but there was really no proof.
Yeah I go that info from Stevtec

This is why I would rather get a G35 sedan than a G35 coupe (costs less and performs around the same). But now that the G35 sedan comes with AWD it just makes it even better . Sadly for some the AWD G35 sedan only comes in automatic. Not a problem for me though .

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 20th, 2004, 03:09 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Akord02
yeah...my parents were looking at the awd...but decided not to get it because we don't have snow here and we don't go to the mountains much. The car is so much fun to drive! i took it out a few times already and i can tell you that i can't wait until the break in period is over!
Akord02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.