Accord V6 Forum banner

help, my car was stalling today

50K views 172 replies 65 participants last post by  bahay 
#1 ·
this morning i took my car to school like i do everyday and everything was running perfectly fine but when i was leaving school, i started the car and it stalled out immediately. i restarted the car 10-15 times and each and every time, it would stall right after it started. so i called up my dad since he's a mechanic and asked him what could be the problem, he suggesed i check all my fuses, so i did. i check each and EVERY fuse in this car, none were blown. knowing i didnt really change anything, i thought id give it another shot, so i started it, and this time it stayed on, BARELY. the whole car was shaking hard because the engine was revving really low. so i let the car run for a minute then i reved it up a few times, but the revs didnt sound right, it sounded like it was still stuttering so i let it run for a few more minutes, then the engine sound became more normal, took it for a spin around the block, and everything is fine now.

what could have caused this problem in the first place? i have no idea. any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

#5 ·
check ur spark plug or wires. and rotor
he has DIS, there are no wires or rotor,

did you check your intake make sure its seated onto the tb properly and are no openings?

having an "open" in the air intake causes the same kind of problems, hard time starting

you didnt happen to have the "check engine light" come on as well did you? if so it might be ur 02 sensor going bad or something else, need to pull the code

if the spark plugs were bad it would run like crap the whole time not just during start up

#8 ·
i bet that crap turns out to be your alternator

#9 ·
#11 ·
nope, it started up perfectly fine, just as it would any other day , it only had a problem STAYING on. right now it's back to normal, i just want to make sure it doesnt happen again.
Could be fuel related then. You might have a slightly clogged fuel filter. I heard it should be replaced every 30K miles.

#168 ·
Yes, fuel filters should be changed, but not on the accord. They are made to last a very long time. My accord is year 2000, and i've never changed the fuel filter, and still don't have a problem and its 2009 now.

My suggestions are already answered by many of the comments.. like clogged fuel injectors, or plugs. or so... it could also be EGR valve, and maybe the main relay ( im not too sure about this, but i just over hear people talking about it)

#12 ·
ooppps, im at 39k so i guess i should change that, but isnt really hard to get to? i think im gonna start using that Chevron Techron stuff more often now. i usually only put it like every other oil change, maybe i should make it every oil change to help keep my fuel system clean. any idea on how much its gonna cost me to have the filter replaced?

thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it.

#13 ·
Not sure how much it will cost to get it replaced. It is attached to the pump that is on the top of the gas tank. You can find the top of the gas tank in your trunk under the carpet flap near the back seats.

But it might be the EGR valve: http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18511

This thread is about the same thing and Ei-ccord says the EGR valve could be stuck open and need cleaning.

Whatever it is, I am going to the dealership the first of January 2004 to have all this looked at.

#15 ·
DAMN!!! it happened again! this time it took less that 5 trys to get it to stay on but it was still rough idling. im going to the dealer tomorrow to get a new filter. the car sounded really bad when i revved it up a little, again like it was stuttering. this is the first bad thing thats ever happened to my car since i bought it back in Feb. 03 (knock on wood). hopefully replacing the fuel filter will fix this problem, i hope its nothing more serious that this.

#17 ·
was it cold outside? my 626 does that when its cold i cant remember what the guy told me it was but he fixed it......
The temperature has nothing to do with it on my car. I have had this problem when its burning hot out down to 45 degree's (yes it can get that cold in FL :D ).

KnightRyder, make sure and have them check the EGR valve too. This will rule out both of them and will probably keep you from having to go back and have them look over it again.

Let me know how it goes :)

#18 ·
what part of Fl are you Plumaccord, i got peeps all over Ft. Lauderdale, hell i even got a 592 social.

#19 · (Edited)
i think i have similar problem as KnightRyder's car.
it starts fine and does not stall, but idling isn't very stable when engine is at normal operating temperature, RPM's going up and down in 30-50RPM.
this thing is going on for few month now, i replaced spark plugs and wires since then, but no improvement. i also used fuel injectors cleaner, it felt like it helped for few week, but not any more.

yesterday this this happend, i was going somewhere, so i run outside started engine so it warm up and i don't have to seat in cold car. when i come back, few minutes later i discovered that i got CEL on my dashed board. so went to my brother home took laptop to scan ECU.
scanner found three codes;
P0300 - engine miss firing
P0305 - cylinder #5 miss firing
P0306 - cylinder #6 miss firing

rightnow i have no clue what would cause that, since pretty much all ignition components are brand new. on top all that i have no time for figuring out the problem so i just erased all codes. i know they will be back if problem still there.

#20 ·
This might sound dumb, but... why don't you just let the dealer check it out? If you are still under 3 years/36000 miles, your car is still under warranty. Rather than guessing and buying parts to fix it, find the real problem and go from there. I've heard this problem in the past with bad MAF, TPS sensors or bad IAC valve.

#21 ·
AV630, my car was at normal operating temp, come to think of it, this has only happened when the car is warm.

Plumaccordcoupe, i was going to go to the dealer to have them check it but the problem is that this happens at random, it doesnt happen all the time, plust they're going to charge me $100 to INSPECT the car then $69/hr for labor after they find the problem then the money for parts, this is gonna cost me quite a bit. so i decided that i would replace my fuel filter and then see if there's any improvement, if not then replace/clean the EGR valve and if it still happens, i'll take it to the dealer and let them mess with it.

HONDA_99, that might be the same problem i'm having, i dont really know. when my car does happen to stay on after it stalls, it does sound like it's not firing on all cylinders, but then again, im not a mechanic nor do i have 100's of hours under the hood so i cant really be sure of anything.

t-rd, i would love to just take it to them and have them fix it under warranty, problem is that im at 39k miles, so no more warranty for me :(

Oh well, i guess we'll just see what happens from now, i will keep you guys updated as to how my car is running after the cleaning/ replacing of parts.

#22 · (Edited)
okay, i have an appointment for next tuesday to have the dealer inspect the car and fix it. we'll see what happens.

from what i've read and heard from several people, they have told me that the EGR valve stands for "Exhaust Gas Recycling Valve". is this correct? the EGR valve's purpose is to recycle exhaust gases back into the combustion chamber to help the engine warm up to it's normal opperating temperature, so obviously this happens when the engine is cold or cooler than its supposed to be. but when an engine is already warm like in my case, and the EGR valve is still stuck open, then unwanted exhaust gas is still being cycled into the combustion chamber. but since the engine is already warm, and is supposed to be only running on clean air from outside when infact it's has clean air AND recycled exhaust gas in the chamber when the inginition occurs, so is this the reason my car is having trouble staying on sometimes? because the engine isnt getting enough clean air and too much recycled air due to the stuck open EGR valve?

or is what i just said above completley wrong? :eek: please keep in mind that im not a mechanic or anything like that so im just trying to put together several pieces. please dont give me a harsh response if im wrong.

someone please clarify this for me, i tried searching but just couldnt find the answer i was looking for.

#23 ·
hey all, first post here. Similar problem.

About a month ago, my mother was left stranded in the parking lot of A&P in our Accord EX V6 Sedan. She had listened to the radio with the engine on for about fifteen minutes before entering the store. She shut off the engine without turning off the radio first and entered the store. When she returned, she was unable to start the car. She had it jumpstarted and when we took it to the dealer, where they replaced the alternator. Basically, it seemed to be ok since then, but today I listened to the radio in the parking lot of Blockbusters. After about ten minutes I attempted to start the car. The car took slightly longer to crank. Upon succesful "catching," it revd to 1k rpm, then stalled out, shaking the car. I tried to start it again, this time giving it a little gas. It stayed on a little bit longer, but still eventually stalled. After several attempts, I got the car to stay on, although the check engine light came on. The car finally was able to idle without stalling after I revd it quite a bit, but ery inconsistently, wavering between 600 and 1000 rpm. Finally, it evened out, but the CEL has been on since then. After driving it for a while (not touching the radio), it seems to turn on just fine, however the CEL is still on. I hope I didn't screw anything up.

All this fuel injection stuff sounds really scary... I hope its something simple like the alternator or the battery. Please tell me it is.

#24 ·
Sounds logical KnightRyder but not sure if that’s how its affecting the engine negatively. Whatever it is I hope it's not permanently hurting the engine. Engine seems strong most of the time but sometimes it seems to be missing some power :( . None of these problems I am having never happened before that one day where I turned on my car and it just felt funny starting up.

Keep me updated KnightRyder :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.