Rent-a-Garage (to work on your car) - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > REGIONAL CHAPTERS > SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Would you pay to rent shop space to work on your car?
Yes, at any [reasonable] cost! I hate other ppl working on my car! 4 22.22%
Yes, if the price is right. I know cars. 3 16.67%
Yes, if the price is right. I am a car novice wanting to learn. 7 38.89%
Yes. But determining factor is having someone supervise/help, preferable ASE. 6 33.33%
No, this idea doesn't make any sense at all. 3 16.67%
No, because I have a garage already. 2 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2005, 02:06 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to gabedabomb
Rent-a-Garage (to work on your car)

For those of you who know how to work on your cars at least a little bit, AND do not have a place to work in (e.g., you live in an apartment complex), would you pay to rent a shop where you can work on your own car? I know there is at least one of you who's forced to take your car to get worked on, only to have less-than-desirable results. This especially sucks if you know you can do better, but just don't have the garage/tool/space to do so.

This is a business idea I'm tossing around, and just a simple Google search tells me that ppl have tried and failed, while others may be succeeding (I read that Canada has (had) a business that is on going). This is feasible if the real cost of using such facility (for you) is cheaper than a shop. E.g., taking your car to a shop costs $50/hr plus parts, whereas my rental rate is $30/hr. Your opportunity cost is $15/hr [what your time is worth to you, perhaps how much you get paid an hour], but working on your car gives you enjoyment of $10 an hour, that equals $30+$15-$10 = $35/hr is what it'll cost you, b/c it takes your time but is also your hobby. So from an economic sense, you'd do it. From common sense, in other words, it may be worth your time/money to visit my shop and do the job right.

There are many other factors, such as liability, INSURANCE, having ASE guys to help/supervise. There is also a risk of having too many ppl rent but know nothing, which can lead to several things, none of which are good (us having to give excessive help for free, them hurting themselves, etc).

I just want a basic idea of whether this is worth further investigation. I would love to start my own business and get out of my 9-5, but it'll take much research but first of all the demand must be there. Thanks for the help, and post away your ideas!
gabedabomb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2005, 02:15 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to gabedabomb
Quick note: This shop would include stuff like hydraulic lifts, and other tools. The number/variety of tools I would have, as well as rental rates for usage, that's a whole new can of worms that is business planning and research
gabedabomb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2005, 02:41 AM   #3
MMMMM....Boost !!!

Send a message via AIM to Wuzkrackin83
good idea , a friend and i were talking about doing this a while back.
Wuzkrackin83 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2005, 02:42 AM   #4

trust me, u're idea is good...but as far as cost wise, regardless even if its $25, its still going to be too much.

reason being, most jobs that require a place to work on , will most likely take more then 1 or even 2 hours...so the cost of $35 x 2 = $70 ....

assuming a person wanting to drop his car (and he is somewut new to it) ...if he 's going to work on it in a RENT - A -Garage type of business, he will most likely be lookin at about $70- $110 ...for rental (assuming it will take him anywhere from 2- 3 hours) ...

most peeps will then rather pay $100 for installation and not worry about gettin dirty, f8cking things up or loosing part or not doing it correctly..

just a example..
ponickka is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:47 AM   #5
Albanian PIMP

Send a message via AIM to habib
I think this would be an excellent idea, I actually had discussed this with my dad a while ago to expand our Gas Station or other BLDG. but here r some problems
Expensive tools can and will be stolen by users (harsh but true indeed)
Too expensive you figure is someone needs to work on car for a whole day or more that well over $280 (8hr day). 2 days $560
Hours of operation as follows
Must be open Saturday and Sunday (prolly busiest days)
Having 9-5 hours wont work since that is when many people are working, I was thinking like 6am-midnight
There r many more factors like the cost of insurance, # of employees, laws and regulations, etc.
People leaving car overnight will be concerned with safety/security of car
Do you charge if someone has to leave car there cuz they can't fix it due to emergency or they have to go work for a few hours then come back.

Good Luck, I hope it works out
habib is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:06 AM   #6
Your V12, My V-twin.

Send a message via AIM to JonHsiung
Seeing how I have class soon, I'll put in a little input really quick...

- Print out a LOT of liability forms
- Is this legal by the government? I'm sure it's legal to work on your own projects in your garage but as a commercial business, you'll just have to check and see what legal loopholes you have to bypass.
- Saturday and Sundays WILL be the busiest.
- Find the nearest dealership that is closing down (most likely a Mitsubishi one. j/k) and buy out their abandoned service bay.
- Somehow make sure customers aren't stealing tools. Good tools are expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JonHsiung is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #7

From what I see on the military base, they don't seem to have a problem with ppl working in the auto hobby shop. They do charge, but for only tools, lifts, etc... They charge by the hour on tools. Its honestly a great place to go, cause all the ppl who live on base live in the barracks basiclly, so they need a place to work on there car. The body shop is busy all day long, has everything but an alignment machine.

For payment, you do an hour rate. Then if they need it for say 3 hours give a discounted price, if 5 discounted, whole day discount. Something to that extent, with a flat rate it wont look that appealing.

Good luck with it, I believe its a smart idea. Even ppl with garages don't always have all the tools they need for a job.
Devil-Dog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2005, 03:14 PM   #8
BULLPOO

Send a message via AIM to SixSpeeder
it kinda makes sense. you can get a decent place for probably about .60 a sq. ft. and depending the area it's in. 1000sqft would be about $600 a month.

8 hrs a day @ $35 an hr would bring you in $280 a day figuring you could get 1 person in there every hour for 8 hrs. you could probably get at least 2 or more depending on the garage size and amenities. 5 days a week = $1400. 4 weeks a month = $5600. that should more than cover rent, insurence, utilities, and tool repair and replacment. you also have to figure on employees if you aren't ASE cert. yourself. that might be where you loose some cash. so you'll need to fill the place with at least 2 people every hour for 8 hrs.

hmmm
SixSpeeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #9
Albanian PIMP

I dont think 1000 sq. ft will cut it you prolly want somethig a little larger but it depends on location. An 8 hr day will no way in hell cut it. My dad had his lawyer look into laws (for WI) nothing against having this but insurance will be expensive as hell cuz someone can get hurt or even killed very easily by just one little mistake. Not sure how much ASE cert. make an hour but I will guess at around $15. So you would want to be averaging a minimum of $15,000 a month, to make a decent profit and pay all expenses. But there are just so many things to look over and there is absolutely no way to stop theft of tools and I can gaurantee 110% that there will be ppl that steal tools. If you have any other questions or such let me know and I will try to answer since I have researched this quite a bit.
Old February 9th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #10
BULLPOO

1000sqft is about a 3 car garage double deep. so in essence about 6 cars could fit. my house is about 2200sqft and has a 3 car garage. no way its over half the sqft of the house.
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #11
Albanian PIMP

6 cars but also add room needed for all tools, restrooms, lobby, and other facility rooms. Most shops I go to are well over a 1000 sq. ft but it depends on what he wants as far as # of cars and rooms/facilities.
Old September 21st, 2008, 04:01 AM   #12

Cool I just wanna work on my car.

I've always wanted to own and operate a do-it-yourself auto repair shop like the one in the movie,"Christine".I've talked about this idea with alot of people and they agree with me that they would go in a heartbeat. Living in SoCal,unless you own a home, theres nowhere to work on your own car. I almost got arrested for working on my car in a vacant parking lot,one Sunday,for just changing my fan belts.I've done my homework and I would do best by starting out with a large secure warehouse, use common sence with on-site repairs and go from there. I've got a ton of ideas of what I want the shop to become,even ideas to keep the cost of liability insurance down but as usual I don't have the funds to get started.I'm planning on contacting the V.A. to see if I can get a business loan through the G.I. bill since I was in the U.S. Marines. Anyway I'm tired of working hard for someone else and I'm tired of trying to find a place just to change my oil. If anyone else is as serious as I am then feel free to contact me I could use a business partner.E-mail me. Thanks

Last edited by 62Ferrari250GTO; September 21st, 2008 at 04:41 AM..
62Ferrari250GTO is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:04 AM   #13
BULLPOO

Well cool then. First thing you should do is build a time machine and travel back to 2005 when this topic was relevant.
Old September 21st, 2008, 12:25 PM   #14
JDM UC1

lol!
toinkee69 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old September 21st, 2008, 01:48 PM   #15
Hector Ochocinco

Send a message via AIM to HECz_
Lol
HECz_ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old September 21st, 2008, 03:01 PM   #16
xXxCLS bOoStEdXxX

Send a message via AIM to slowaccord
old thread but it would never be worth it in a business sense. You would have to charge a pretty decent amount to rent it out and for a little more you could pay to have the work done right and quicker than you could do yourself.
slowaccord is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:04 PM   #17

Cool Mechanic For Hire

To the bonehead with the time machine comment,in case you banged your head as you crawl out from under your rock get a clue.Taking a old idea and givin it a new twist is what makes people rich these days. I've been a plumber for over twenty years and when I said I've discuss this idea with others,believe me, its at least over ten thousand. Even now more people,including women, want to fix it themselves but theres nowhere to go. Why don't all of you doubters answer the question that I ask people. If there was a shop that you could go that avoids the elements and has the parts,tools,helpful assistances,security,a reasonable space fee and a whole lot more would you go.The idea in starting out is not to bite off more than you can chew.Thanks for all the constructive criticism, it makes me want to do this even more.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:49 PM   #18
xXxCLS bOoStEdXxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Ferrari250GTO View Post
To the bonehead with the time machine comment,in case you banged your head as you crawl out from under your rock get a clue.Taking a old idea and givin it a new twist is what makes people rich these days. I've been a plumber for over twenty years and when I said I've discuss this idea with others,believe me, its at least over ten thousand. Even now more people,including women, want to fix it themselves but theres nowhere to go. Why don't all of you doubters answer the question that I ask people. If there was a shop that you could go that avoids the elements and has the parts,tools,helpful assistances,security,a reasonable space fee and a whole lot more would you go.The idea in starting out is not to bite off more than you can chew.Thanks for all the constructive criticism, it makes me want to do this even more.
again it will NOT be worth it in the end. the price you would charge to make a decent profit would hover right around the going labor rate. When you factor in start up cost and everything its a stupid idea.

Alot of hardcore people who want to work on their own cars already have garages that shops can be envious of. Average joe's would rather invite a few friends over and knock down pizza and beer and get the job done in the driveway.

This idea sounds like a high school shop kids wetdream.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 01:29 AM   #19

I can see that I've struck a cord with my idea, about opening a garage, by all the negative comments like Lol, stupid idea, kids wetdream,one said my idea was too late for this website topic.Can anyone of you geniuses show me proof that this won't work other than flapping your lips.You can't cause nobody has yet to at least give this idea a chance, nobody.Now let me guess you might respond with, and nobody will after they realise the risk.So before I go I know what I'm talking about,I've crunched the numbers,I've done the live research,I've the ideas that will work and whats more important I've got the balls to take a sound risk.So when my shop opens up and I'm making it I can't wait for all you negative bastards to show up and have the balls to tell me who you are.SEMPER FI MARINES!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 62Ferrari250GTO; September 24th, 2008 at 02:47 AM..
Old September 23rd, 2008, 01:40 AM   #20
jin

Send a message via AIM to jin
i think you may run into trouble in the future trying to first of all gain business in the beginning. a lot of people are lazy (like myself) and would rather shovel out the extra money to have it done by a professional. for me....its peace of mind that a pro is doing it in a timely fashion and probably wont messup as much as i would if i DIY'ed it myself. yeah its a great hobby and i love DIY...but honestly sometimes i just want to get it done and over with. its a great idea but you would need a decent amount of money for start up costs, rent and good money saved up before you even started to break the profit margin. plus too you would need a good general location where most "tuners" would even drive the distance to go rather then their friends garage. i think even if you did have good business...you would run into problems with people being lazy and not working fast enough/skilled enough....consuming too much "garage time"....and u might actually end up babysitting a lot of the inexperienced ones out there. also too you'd have to make it cheap per hour and if they left their car over night (cuz its probably not running if they're doing engine work) or else it wont be worth it to the customer to even DIY it.
jin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:00 AM   #21
BULLPOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Ferrari250GTO View Post
I can't wait for all you negative bastards to show up and have the balls to tell me who you are.SEMPER FI MARINES!!!!!!!!!
Oh Jeebus... Look, I'm all for the Corp. I have a cousin who's a Major in Iraq right now on his second tour. I'm a fan. I do have to say this sounds like an enlisted comment though. "I'm a Marine, I'll beat your ass! OORAH!" Sure.

This is why this idea wont work -

Insurance.

Yep. Getting an insurance company to cover you is going to cost a pretty penny, if they do at all. Ever wonder why when you go into a mechanics shop, they have all those signs posted all over the place reading 'Do Not Enter', or 'Employees Only', or 'No Customers Beyond This Point'? Insurance. They don't want to be liable for the idoits who crush themsleves under the hydrolic lift, or the ones who snap off a finger in a timing chain.

If you really want to give this a try, go ahead. I know I said this might work before in this thread, but someone else had brought up the insruance was is true. I'll keep my money and go down the street to the community college, pay $18 a unit and work on my car there.

Thanks but no thanks tough guy.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 01:23 PM   #22
Very Inspired

Send a message via AIM to haiyter
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowaccord View Post
This idea sounds like a high school shop kids wetdream.
So that's what the yellow stain was in the op lol
haiyter is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old September 23rd, 2008, 01:58 PM   #23
xXxCLS bOoStEdXxX

lol at marine boy. when u open shop please post the address here so we can countdown the days till u close or go belly up.

until then your word is not better than ours.
Old September 24th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #24

To Jin,thanks for the info. but this is something that I've put alot of time into.I used to work as an ASE mechanic and I saw alot of corruption in this business,so I quit.You can throw the figures around and come up with nope this won't work but I'm in it for the long haul.The ideas that I have will work they have been gone over with other trusted shop owners.I wish I could share them with you all but that would be letting the cat out.To the rest:speedo speeder I am a fan,fan of what,a wanna be. The words Semper Fidelis which is Latin for,"Always Faithful".Faithful to the corps,faithful to the flag and our country.Can you say that you've done anything to protect our country.Thats why we say,"The few,The proud and this you ain't.So take your B/S comments and shove it.To slowerthansh#taccord my words are as good as gold.I can see that I'm wasting my time with you two douch bags.See ya.
Old September 24th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #25
jin

Send a message via AIM to jin
best of luck to you ferrari. let us know if you really go thru with it. ill definitely visit your shop if the price is right.
jin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old September 24th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #26
Bobby Lane Racing

Here's something to think about Ferrari. I don't object to your business ideas, and only wish you the best in success. However since you said you've done alot of thinking and have a plan on how to get this to work. I want to ask a few questions.

I'm going to assume you have insurance covered and won't even bring up that topic.

Lets start out with how you will get paid, and how a customer will pay.

For example a timing belt service is roughly 4.7-5 hours. (including water pump, tensioners, inspect seals, valve adjustment, etc)
Now if you let a Do it Yourselfer come in and do his timing belt service and we already know a Do it Yourselfer likely will finish the 5 hour job in 8. How would payment go from there? Will he be liable to pay the 8 hours of shop usage, or the 5 hours for what the job pays? Also if the job pays 5 hours, and he takes 8 to finish, how would you work out a schedule to where you can guarantee the next customer his/her time to come in for their car? Now his is all about guarantee getting cars in and out. There is no guarantee when you're not the one working on the car. Will you be there helping them with the work? I don't think you would want to do that. Will you provide a service such as alldata? That's more money on you as well. How about tools? Do you know how expensive tools are? We have hundreds of thousands of dollars in tools, and to be honest with you, we run into times where we have to purchase new tools all the time because some cars just require special tools that will help you on the job.

Lets make it even more simple and talk about a oil change. I can finish most oil changes in 10 minutes, (it takes longer for me to rack the car) but to the average joe, it might take 20, or 30. What kind of time limit is provided for a fluid service and what kind of money do you expect to make from a simple fluid service considering the customer brought in their oil, and their filter? Do you expect them to take their used oil home and dump it them selves, or will you provide the disposal of old oil. If you're providing disposal than thats a little more over head for you. Also on another note, if you charge them 20 bucks to use your shop to change their oil, they would save more money having someone else do it for 20 bucks. Also if you charged them 5 bucks, for 30 mins of using your facility, than what gain do you have.

What if a customer works on their car and messes something up? Will you allow them to park their car there and incurr daily charges? This would probably be the only way you make any money. Storage fees.

You obviously have a great plan because I can't think of anyway to make money off this. I think you take on more liability, more lost, and more sacrifices.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old September 24th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #27
BULLPOO

Here's what I truly object to. Your attitude. I don't care if you trash me, but not the users of this forum. We have stated our opinions. If your ego can't handle it, look for another forum to post in.

Your typical enlisted demeanor is annoying and really makes The Corp look bad. When I said I was a fan of The Corp, I meant it. I love and deeply appreciate what the Marines do for our country.

You need to change your tone if you plan on posting here any longer. Got it?
Old September 24th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #28
xXxCLS bOoStEdXxX

nighthawk that was an awesome post. We sometimes at work run into the same type of stuff. say a customer tried to attempt a DIY but failed. So they put everything back together because there was a stripped screw or something they couldnt get off. the book or alldata says one time but they didn't factor in the additional problem the customer threw in. So many times a job can take longer than expected. If u go by the book your usually pretty safe but for special customers its typical to knock off some labor.

and this is with a shop that knows what they are doing and knows how to use the TOOLS. (most people won't know how to use the tools correctly and would probably damage them. ex. its not hard to damage expensive tools like torque wrenches etc) Most DIY is a time and a half at least. So when u factor in this type of stuff plus liability it just doesn't look feasible.

Theres just a BUTTLOAD of holes in your idea and were trying to point them out.

If it works out for ya were happy. But at least consider what members here tell you. There's alot of vendors/shop owners/SUPER knowledgable members you can learn from on V6P.
Old September 30th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #29

I didn't sign on to this site to pick a fight or be some tuff guy,I wasn't the one with smartass comments. My bros agree that some of the response was an insult on my intel.I have a great idea and wanted to past it along, but no theres always some jerk who has dumbass comments.I'm not some wet behind ears young punk,I've given ten years of my life to protect this country so that at least give me the right to speak of the Marine Corps as I damn well please.I have no problem with constructive criticism but when you disrespect me then all bets are off.The saying goes if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything.Got it.My attitude,my ego,my tone will remain the product of my enviroment.Last time I checked, this is a free country and if you don't like what I say then don't read it.GOT IT. All I wanted to do was look for a place to work on my car like soo many others in Orange County.Not everyone has a place to work on their car,truck,boat,semi,etc.Again when I said I've done my home work about this idea I'm not bullsh#ing.I have a few insurance companys that have agree to insure me as long as I put my saftey ideas in place.Thank you to the ones who gave me a respectful comment, to the rest,you know who you are,F@#$ OFF GOT IT.
Old October 1st, 2008, 12:22 AM   #30
Old Member

Send a message via AIM to Du3ce
damn geeze chill out fellas give a guy a break so what if its old he just joined the site for gods sake. And i think its a bad impression for the site especially when it comes from a mod to make fun of a new user for posting a comment. This is coming from a og member whos been here since 03.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.