And this is why professional athletes can suck it! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > RANDOM CHATTER > SPORTS TALK and FANTASY LEAGUES
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #1
BULLPOO

Send a message via AIM to SixSpeeder
And this is why professional athletes can suck it!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...calipari051410

It's not about the game anymore. It's about getting paid. This is the big difference between the Magic Johnson/Kareem era and today's big names. The past guys wanted to play basketball(or insert another sport here), getting paid for it was an added bonus.

Screw "King James" and his "team". Holding the NBA hostage. pffff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
How to Post Threads for Newbies and Everyone Else - MUST SEE!
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Bobby Lane Racing

a king only wears a crown, a king never will wear a NBA championship ring.

calling him a king just adds to his young buck ego.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:17 PM   #3

athletes need to live in wealthy too
fivedrunkduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:28 PM   #4
✔ Verified Member

Send a message via Yahoo to otsb708 Send a message via Skype™ to otsb708
^ What?
otsb708 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:43 AM   #5

there is nothing wrong with people wanting to make money...sports has grown tremendously since the days of Magic Johnson/Larry Bird/Keareem era..im sure these guys would be after the money then if given the opportunity. I am a die-hard knicks fan, I hope the desire for money drives him to play in NY.
aRod914 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeeder View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...calipari051410

It's not about the game anymore. It's about getting paid. This is the big difference between the Magic Johnson/Kareem era and today's big names. The past guys wanted to play basketball(or insert another sport here), getting paid for it was an added bonus.

Screw "King James" and his "team". Holding the NBA hostage. pffff.
I hear what your saying, you look at the Boston Orlando game last night as a perfect example. 1 team loves the lime light the commercials the fame and fortune, while the other team the first and foremost thing on there mind was winning. Guys like KG and Kobe who, don't get me wrong will take the money, but if you paid them minimum wage would still go out and play there a$$es off.Those guys who just love to compete are a dying breed in every sport and thats kinda sad.
NotoriusKLG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:04 PM   #7
BULLPOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by aRod914 View Post
there is nothing wrong with people wanting to make money...sports has grown tremendously since the days of Magic Johnson/Larry Bird/Keareem era..im sure these guys would be after the money then if given the opportunity. I am a die-hard knicks fan, I hope the desire for money drives him to play in NY.

Dead wrong. Kareem, just a few weeks ago, said he thinks all players need to be at least 21 before they enter the NBA for this exact reason.
Old May 24th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Dead wrong. Kareem, just a few weeks ago, said he thinks all players need to be at least 21 before they enter the NBA for this exact reason.
The age thing is just for maturity, has nothing to do with Money. I am positive that Kareem will demand a big paycheck if he was playing in the Nba in this current era.

SIGNATURE VIOLATION: IMAGE TOO LARGE (550 X 200PX MAX).
ponickka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 24th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #9
BULLPOO

They go hand in hand. A mature adult is not going to say what Lebron said. Is it any wonder so many people prefer the 'purity' of college sports over the pros?
Old May 25th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #10

I used to like James until I saw him quit in game 5 and 6...so immature. I kind wish nobody would give him a chance now
00Accord4cyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #11

Quote:
They go hand in hand. A mature adult is not going to say what Lebron said. Is it any wonder so many people prefer the 'purity' of college sports over the pros?
College players are no difference, because they are playing to get into the pro and to do what? make the big money.

SIGNATURE VIOLATION: IMAGE TOO LARGE (550 X 200PX MAX).
ponickka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #12
BULLPOO

But that is the difference. They aren't making that big money. They don't have this superiority complex that Lebron James has... yet. They have to play with their team, respect their team, respect their coach, and respect the game. The pros don't have to do any of that. All they have to do is put up big numbers. They don't even have to win; just as long as they have the stats.

I want to see players who want the rings and the trophies. Remember when Karl Malone took a pay cut when he came to the Lakers? He wanted a ring. He didn't give a damn about the money. That's respectable. Not holding out so you can become the highest paid player in NBA history.
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #13
hella flush

Send a message via AIM to lilfotoman
lebrons leaving, mike brown got fired. but we will see where lebron goes. i know he wants to win too. he wants to team up with bosh, wade, or another superstar.
lilfotoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #14
BULLPOO

I hope he pulls an A-Rod.
Old May 25th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #15

I realize they want to make money and all(Everyboyd does), but there is a point at which a line needs to be drawn.

I think it is much worse in the NFL where all of the high profile players want to be the highest paid player at their position. They do not care about anything except the paycheck. They have no loyalty to a team anymore. There are some instances when a player should get paid more. For example Chris Johnson for the Titans has not come to practice because of his salary. He is currently getting paid less then some 3rd string players on the team. So that makes sense, but overall the professional sports are leaning away from being about the game and more about getting rich
00Accord4cyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 30th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #16
jsiriusvtec

I know that alot of America's youth holds these athletes in high regard and such, but these people contribute little to society and we pay them better than surgeons or physicists.

Yes, I realize they are symbolic of the American dream....that you can hit an easy streak in this country.....but I just feel that we do things bass ackwards sometimes.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 31st, 2010, 01:34 PM   #17
BULLPOO

Even if they do just play a game for a living, that doesn't mean they don't contribute to society. I'm sure there are plenty of athletes who donate a lot of time and money to charities.
Old April 12th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #18
All motor

Bringing back an old thread, but certainly not an old idea. The amount of money some of these players are paid is incredible. Yes, they are icons and bring fans to their respective stadiums. Yes, kids are motivated by their abilities, etc. That's all fun. What if these kids knew the half of it? About how players/coaches can't decide on who take more money and their possibly won't be an NFL next year? Or who pushes to get more and more money, when it's already ridiculous.

Respect to the players that want to play the game first, THEN get paid. We all want to get paid. But when you're already making $10 million a year, do you really need to ask for more? To play a sport nonetheless? Get real...
Old July 6th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #19
Free Mustache Rides

Super late on this, but thats why sports are money driven..

I think that is why for the past year, i re-found my love for soccer, where you have a lot more people playing for pride. Of course money is involve, it is still a business and they still got to get paid. But the regular MLS player makes as much as a regular school teacher, and an entry player makes as much as a full time mcdonald's employee...

here is an article written written by US World Cup Squad member Herculez Gomez that explains how he had to leave the US to make it in the soccer world

Herculez Gomez: Pursuing The American Dream… Abroad The Shin Guardian
87UNITS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #20
BULLPOO

Eh. We should talk about what European players make. You could compare this to American baseball players' salary vs. the average professional Japanese baseball player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.