Accord V6 Forum banner

any consequences to doing this?

1K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Midnight Heretic 
#1 ·
sup all,

i plan to get 18"x7.5 rims with 225/40/18 tires and a 2" drop w/ the sportline kit
i was wondering if the tires will rub a lot with like 4 people in the car...or even by myself
and does anyone have pictures of 18" wheels with a 1.5" drop on an accord coupe? i don't want my car to be too low, and i don't want it to be too high.
another thing: what's an offset? i think its the distance between the center of the rim to the lugs or whatever, but does that really make a difference??
one more question (haha): for daily driving, what would be the best 225/40/18 tires?? i don't wanna spend mad cash on performance tires when i don't even race...
thanks! :D

#2 ·
It all depends on offset and the width of your rims. Offset is the pretty much exactly what you said and yes it does make a difference. The lower the offset, the further your rim will stick out. But depending on the width of the rim, you should get a much higher offset for a thicker rim. For an 18x7.5 rim, you should probably get no less than +45mm offset. My rims are the same size and I have +42 and I rub only if I have like more than 2 people in my back seat OR depending on some potholes or dips. If the rim was 18x7, then +42 would be good. Another thing you could do is roll the fenders, and then you wouldn't rub that often if at all. OR get 215/40/18 size tires. That MIGHT help with the rubbing issue as well, but your rims are more prone to getting dented or bent. So it's all about offset and width of rims.

#5 ·
Re: roll fenders??

what do u mean by roll fenders?
how do i roll fenders?
and does it alter the look of the fenders? or is it an internal thing?
thanks
Well when you feel the wheel well portion where the fender is you will notice like a metal piece of about half an inch sticking inward. You basically just roll that up, or folding it, so you will have more clearance so the rims won't rub against it. Only downsid to doing this is that you have to be VERY careful or you can chip the paint. There is a diy on how to do this somewhere, but like I said....it's risky with the pant.

#6 ·
http://community.webshots.com/user/angryaccord

I have the Eibach Pro Kit with Tokico blues running Kumho Ecsta MX 225x40r18s. I have not had any problems with rubbing. ... except the time when my inner wheel well was loose and got torn off the car.

#11 · (Edited)
i have 18's with 1.5 drop, its on a sedan though, the link is in my sig...

i have 18x7.5 with pro kit, nothing in the trunk, and a 45mm offset, and rub occasionally on big dips or potholes etc. but nothing serious, im going to roll my fenders soon

#12 ·
Blaccord, i have 225/40/18's with 18x7.5 rims.

I have groundcontrol coilovers set MUCH lower then 2", and i dont rub at all, i haven't had too many people in the bak yet, but as for now, even with HARD turning and cornering, it dont rub.

But then again i have comptech sway bars n stuff :)

#23 ·
They're pretty good, im really happy with them, and the ride is great.

Only thing is, (i guess this goes with a lotta other coilovers too), if u mess around w/them too much, they'll wear out sooner. I keep adjusting my height, and now one of my screws is loose and wont tighten. :(

But regardless, they're great :)

#25 ·
hey antman, i have a 45mm offset with the prokit on a 18x7.5 rims and i hardly have problems, going to shave the fender lip thingy here soon...not bend it...im just going to dremel it off cuz on rare occasions it will hit on bumps etc. but besides that it will work great

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.