Accord V6 Forum banner

Tein SS & Basic users......

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  iVTECaddict 
#1 ·
I need your opinions on which would be the closest to stock ride. The non-adjustable basics, or the ss on the softest setting. I'm looking for the closest to stock ride, but with a nice drop. I'm currently on h-tech springs, but I think I'm ready for an adjustable upgrade. I'm willing to pay more to get the ss if it rides softer than the basics. I researched the spring rates, and they're both the same. Thanks for your opinions. Much appreciated :D .

#3 ·
Closest to the stock quality is the SS or SS-P on medium stiffness but you gotta remember that the ride quality gets worst the more you drop the car. PM me for a good deal on them.

P.S. Never drive the coilovers on the softest setting, they will wear out very quick.

#6 ·
jgirl said:
thanks everyone for your input. i'm still open for opinions. anyone have any opinions on which one will ride softer, ss at the softest setting or basics. All i want is the softest ride.
SS or SS-P cause Basics dont have the dampening adjustment.

#7 ·
Yeah, if you want the "softest ride", I would go with the SS's since you can adjust it like most of the members said... But I got the basics and they're are just my taste, I didnt like it bouncy, the basics are in the rough side, but its not unbearable, nobody notices a difference when they're in the car, its all in the driver ;) ....

I couldn't justify spending $300 more for the adjustable dampering settings...thats just me..

#11 ·
i have basics, and i love em. i've never ridden in an accord with the ss so i wouldnt know which one was softer but yeah, the basics are pretty nice but also pretty rough on rough roads. but then again, i have 19" rims on rubber bands lol. if u got the money, just go ss?

#13 ·
jgirl said:
thanks everyone again! i'll prolly end up with the ss. the basics sound a little too rough for me =(. i hope to get pics up when it gets put in =).
My car is going in tonight to have ss-p, TL front sway bar installed, I will report back on how it feels... I figure I will start at middle settings for stiffness and see how that feels.

#17 ·
tein ss has the same spring rate as the s-techs, its up to the kind of shocks youre gonna want to get for the basics, or the softness setting you set the SS to

shon.nv said:
P.S. Never drive the coilovers on the softest setting, they will wear out very quick.
yeah they specifically state on tein coilover products that driving on full soft, that you will wear out the seals etc :)

#18 · (Edited)
jgirl said:
ohhh, yes! please let me/everyone know :) .

Alright installed, dropped the front about 3 inches and rear about 2, bit lower than I wanted to go but thats ok (it wont settle anymore as they were used for about 10K miles). Alignment is done also with some slight negative camber in the rear, front to spec, used Ingalls Kits in the rear.

Dampener is set to 8, so right in the middle for softness and stiffness (though I have not personally checked this, thats where they said they put it) Havent drove but 20 miles so far and limited to the turns in the daily driving and getting stuck behind people. Keep in mind there are not many rough roads here in NC but there are parts that I drove on already and purposely hit the rough patches to see how it responded.

First thought, there seems to be considerable road noise, not from bumps or anything but just cruising in general, I can just hear wind and the tires making noise (maybe because I am closer to the ground and tires now). As for hitting dips on the highway, that car barely moves, it dampens out with a quickness, like a matter of a couple seconds. Who ever has used the term bouncy to describe how the suspension responds is crazy. When I hear something is bouncy, I think a bouncing ball that takes forever to dampen out, this is not the case, a few mere seconds and the coilovers have dampened out the bump or dip, which will cause a bit rougher ride in terms of comfort.

As for rough patches, you can def tell the difference, it is not punishing difference but you can tell how many bumps the wheel hit, where as before you would be like damn thats a rough patch, now you are like damn thats a rough patch with about 10 holes/divits in the blacktop :)

Overall it is a very comfortable ride at the middle setting, it is not stock but it is pretty close, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being stock, it is about a high 6 or 7. I will play with the settings over the next couple weeks to see what ratio works best front to back, any suggestions would be great!

I can now tell the stock tires from the TL wheels are the limiting factor as when I take turns hard you can feel the sidewall give and they squeak like a banshee :) Which they did not before the coilovers. That will be my next upgrade, but keep in mind I have a slight front rake with the height so more weight is put on the front wheels.

I dont have exp. with any other coilover company or system, this is my first suspension mod on any car so my comparision is very limited, I can just do stock and SS-P.

#19 ·
good to know that! congratulations. i guess you're too low to my likings and this is why all the noise and rough ride are coming from because they should ride better than stock on normal roads while cruising.

i bought brand new ss-p (haven't opened the box yet) but since i read jobata's flex install i decided to purchase them instead (because my rear wide and fat tires won't drop 1.7" without rubbing the fender) so i bought the flex and looking to get rid of the ss-p, if anyone is interested, pm me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.