Accord V6 Forum banner

Oil catch resevoir

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Conundrum 
#1 ·
#6 · (Edited)
ctsport said:
Do a search over at S2Ki.com.. they have many threads about it.. and how well they work (with picture proof) they even have step by step DIY of how to make one.
Already there. Thanks.

EDIT: This is one good thread I have found. I still don't know if it's something I need, or is it just a bling factor. I don't care much about bling, more about will it help improve the car overall in some way (help it perform better etc).

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151911

Install on RX:

http://reganrotaryracing.tripod.com/catch.htm

#7 ·
I won't do anything on a normal street driven car. Units like that have been used on racecars for years to avoid dumping oil on the track. Far as I know, that's really all they do. Utterly useless for a road car.

#8 ·
Ok, I guess I'm really bringing this one back from the dead...but I'm interested in getting a catch can for my car, since if these things do catch oil blown back through the intake, then I want one on my car...plus I've seen enough reports that they work "on the street" to warrant the cost, at least for me (and hey, if it doesn't its giving me peace of mind..lol).

Anyways, the one question I did have is where do I connect this thing when I do get it? I mean, I'm pretty sure it would go between the crankcase on the rear bank of cylinders and my intake (so take hose of V2, place on can, put another hose on can, attach to intake), but shouldn't this have to go on the PCV valve? Since the hose I am thinking about just comes directly from the crank, I don't see how it is valved unless thats all internal to the crankcase (since there is just a nipple sticking out of it). Also, I don't see anything else leading back into the intake system (at least not before the TB), so its gotta go there right?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my lack of mechanical know-how...I've never really bothered in the past and am trying to make an attempt to learn more on this car as I go along.

#9 · (Edited)
Happy to see people posting in this thread, no one posted in mine when i asked about this. I did the DIY method for a catch-can as seen here: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1512284

I cut my hose going from engine to my AEM intake and put that catch can in between. Had it on there for about 200-300 miles on which i drove the car hard and got nothing in the can. So just FYI thats not the place to put it. I then looked around and found the short grey "U" shaped hose on the left side of the engine by the oil dipstick. I took that hose off and it smelled like oil right away. I still havent put the catch-can on but am going to shortly. Ill update when i put it on and post some pics of hopefully a can with some blow-by oil in it.

Some one correct me if im wrong by putting the catch-can on that short grey "U" shaped hose.

#10 ·
In order to make things clearer to anyone who can help us:

Essentially I guess both 03_AV6 and I are wondering if the catch can goes "in between" either PVC tube "1" or tube "5". Logically based on what I've read I'd guess it should be 5, since it connects back to the intake just before the throttle body, however if 03_AV6 says they smelled oil out the other tube (nearest the crank pulley), could that be the place to install it instead?

Anyhow, I hope the diagram above helps clear things up for others so we can install this thing correctly (haven't ordered mine yet...waiting to be sure of where it connects so I can figure out placement first).

#12 ·
Conundrum - thanks for the diagram. I had mine set up for tube 5 and got nothing out of it. I want to try to put it bewtween tube 1 where i actually smell a lot of oil. Ill put it on there porbably this weekend and put some pics up as well and later update what i get.

#14 ·
Thanks for the pics -- I still must say though, that I'd really like to know how the routing works for our engines. I mean, the PCV is located by the crank pulley (where you have now connected the catch can), but where does it route from there? Part of me wants to believe that it just dumps it straight into the headers, but if thats the case why is there no PCV valve on the rear bank of cylinders (they just have a straight tube going out of the engine and into the intake)? You'd think for a V-configuration engine there would be 2 PCV valves, one for one side of the V and the one for the other (thats how subie's do it with their H-config) but ours does not seem to work that way.

#15 ·
yeah, thats why i originally put the catchcan on the 5 tube, thinking that would be most logical but got nothing out of it. Ill give this 1 tube a try and see how that works. I do agree with you it is wierd how our engines are configured with the whole pcv thing. Ill see if i get anything at all and if not then i dont even know where else to connect it.

#16 ·
To me I'd almost think there should be 2 cans (like subies do)..one for each bank of cylinders. The local dealership I use for parts help is normally really good, so I'll have to stop by sometime in the next week or so and ask if anyone knows the layout of this system on the J30s (its a stretch, but maybe someone there knows something).

#18 ·
Still, how does the rear bank of cylinders vent? It has to be via the breather tube connected to the intake (which doesn't use a PCV valve I guess??). Just seems odd as there should be as much oil/gases on both banks...otherwise its like the front bank is doing "more work" than the rear bank, or running at different compression levels (which is impossible).

What I'd really like to know too is where that hose on the "crank pulley side" of the engine (the one where the PCV is and where you connected the catch can) routes to once it gets inside the header/manifold. Wondering if it routes to the rear cylinder bank somehow, or if it just dumps directly into the intake tract...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.