Accord V6 Forum banner

Intake spacer question

73K views 458 replies 106 participants last post by  redlynr 
#1 ·
Would this spacer, 17108-RDJ-A00 give a 6-6 a bit more midrange torque? I've noticed it on '05 and up Pilots, Ody, and Ridges.

It would be a fairly inexpensive thing to do, 2 gaskets, studs, bolts and the spacer, all for less than $100. Will it clear the hood on an Accord tho?

#4 ·
Looks like the TL guys are getting some pretty nice torque gain, but all at the expense of cutting their hood bracing, propping up their hood with spacers or taking the hood insulation out. I'm not sure it would be worth the modification to get the torque gains unless you're really eager to start cutting and removing stuff.

Maybe Paul can fabricate us a custom one at the right height that would give gains but not require cutting or removing anything hint hint hint lol.

#3 ·
What about the openings in the spacer? Are they port matched for the stock Accord runners and IM? I'm curious to know about that but I would assume no since those engines are .5 liter bigger. I have a thermal spacer from Outlaw engineering but that is made for the 7th gen. No real gain in hp but it definitely keeps the heat down.

#7 ·
can someone please explain how a little spacer is supposed to gain that much power? and y didnt honda do this if it was so worth it?

#398 ·
Lengthens the runners, higher intake velocities. Very noticeable on the VQ35 engines, 10 hp and 12 lb-ft torque in the midrange according to NWP who makes them, some who've dynoed after install are getting as much as 15-18 lb-ft of torque in the midrange, but those getting big gains also have headers.

Any additional power will be through the cooler intake charge. Every 10 degrees you can lower it is worth about 1% more horsepower. Theoretically, a 40 degree drop will get you 4% more power, on a 240 hp engine, that would be 9.6 hp. Real world, probably half that.

#81 ·
Positive effects? So you don't know how it works either? Then why are guys spending over $100 for it? I mean if one inch helps maybe four inches would be the bomb, right? We could all have big honking hood scoops. OTOH if one inch helps so little maybe we'd be better off leaving well enough alone, no?

Solid numbers would be good right now.
maybe if u read page 1 of this 3 page thread you wouldnt be asking for real world numbers anymore since theres a dyno sheet there. 4 inches would be da bomb... go cut a whole in ur hood and get us some real world results :bonk:

#17 ·
u might also need longer intake maifold bolts

edit- well i guess chad and i posted at the same time

from the AZ thread:

"20 mod my ass.... . Try $70 +tax pricematched to Delray Acura @ my dealer.

spacer: ~$20
2 gaskets: ~$36
9 bolts: ~ $14 " you should only need to buy 1 gasket though

#18 ·
here's his dyno sheet. courtesy of acu-rate on acurazine.

New Dyno #s with IM SPACER
New DYNO #s:

Mustang DYNO:

Note, both runs were done on the SAME dyno

No SPACER= 280.6 whp & 246.9 wtq ........(dotted line)

IM SPACER= 281.3 whp (+0.7) 254.1 wtq (+7.2) .........(solid line)

Legend:

RED = HP
BLUE = TQ
GRAY = AFR

#23 ·
well i have the cf hood so i have a bit more clearance than the oem hood i think since the bracing and stuff isn't as big as the oem.

also i don't mind using hood spacers to raise up my hood a bit. again because i have a cf hood, the spacers will look alright compared to having spacers on oem hood.

yeah the can thing was smart. lol.

#26 ·
Lol I told you people I have no self control when it comes to this stuff! I'm seriously considering it. I just have to read the thread a little closer since I could only skim over it while at work. Damn this work stuff lol.

#28 ·
Yes it will, let me do some mesuring tomorrow AM and I will see what we can do to get good clearence. I have a couple Oddy/Pilot ones here and of course can get them from my local Acura place and machine them down to fit if necessary. Kai is right we only need one gasket, worst case get some copper spray a gasket a lay down a layer on both sides of the gasket.

#33 · (Edited)
Ok, we have just about 1.75" of clearence over the intake, of course this does not allow for engine movement. Jacking up a engine so the front mount is on the limiter costs us just shy of 1/2", adding in another gasket and we end up with about 1" that we can raise the intake safely with the hood insulation in place and 1.25" with the hood insulation removed. The stock spacer is 1.574" (40mm) tall, so I can knock off .5" easy enough and can get them from my local Acura source.

Now to get the correct EGR portshape I am looking at a 05-06 MDX for parts, I get $22.44 for the spacer and $18.88 for a gasket, bolt for the 1" tall modded spacer will need to be 90mm, I can get them in packs of 10 for $11.80 and then the studs (110mm) for $2.80ea. The finally shipping to me, labor to machine them down, and USPS flat rate shipping out $50. So the total I can do these for you guys with one gasket (the other should be reusable) $108.72, so call it $110 with pay pal fees.

If I can get 3 or more of you guys to commit I will mod the spacer I have here just to 100% verify the 1" clearence.

Now for those of you who already have or also want to use a outlaw spacer, they are 10mm thick (3/8"), so the spacer would need to be machined down a total of .875" to main tain clearence. As for leak possibily, I would take all three gaskets and apply a layer of copper gasket spray to both sides of each gasket, then carefully touqe them down in two steps starting in the middle and working out to the ends, first step should be about 12 ftlbs and the second step about 25ftlbs.

I looked at making the spacers from 1" thick plastic material, oyvey, the cost of a good plastic material like Polysulfone that can handle 300D+ heat and the crush load is $450 for a 12X24" sheet, that would yeild about 4-5 spacers, the same material at 3/8" thickness is $196, so making the spacer out of plastic can be done, but the cost of material will be a killer.

#393 ·
i know reviving an old thread i purchased a used intake manifold spacer from a guy that owned a 3g tl (also a set of pcd's) but he included the bolts and the spacer and copper gasket i was just checking if i did remove the under hood insulation and milled the spacer down from 1.574" to 1.25" that would make it from 40 mm to 31.75mm what would the bolt lengths be he gave me ones that are 104.775mm about 4 1/8" long. Or would it be better to take the insulation out and space the hood a quarter of an inch? thoughts and opinions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.