Accord V6 Forum banner

Recommend me a wheel/tire/suspension set up

4K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Renew98 
#1 ·
First of all, the car in question is a 2001 accord coupe EX 2.3L 5 speed. I am considering doing some upgrades, but i want to start with suspension. If I do this project i'll do the 5 lug conversion and a big brake kit. Also, it's going to need tires soon, so why not start with wheels and tires?

What wheel/tire setup is best for handling? So far this is what i've got picked out:

wheels (18x8):
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...=4&autoModel=Accord+Coupe+EX+V6&wheelModel=C2

Tires (215/45R18):
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...1_Qty=4&i1_Qty=4&autoModel=Accord+Coupe+EX+V6

How about lowering? I honestly don't like super lowered cars for looks. I'm only interested in lowering enough to close up the wheel gap. How far should one lower one's car if all you want to do is improve how it handles?

Coilovers/shocks/struts? what an ideal setup here?

Swaybars? recommendations?

Anything else i should think about?

See less See more
#3 ·
It sounds like you have a nice plan, except I would recommend lowering the car first instead of finding the wheels/tires.

Why don't you look through pics of 6th-gen coupes that give you an idea of the look you're aspiring for, and we can help you from that point. Your questions are so vague that many many answers could all be right, yet they may not be exactly what you're looking for.

First of all, what's your budget? Are you using your car for everyday driving, or are you looking for track-level handling? Etc etc.

#4 ·
My goal is track-level handling. I don't have a budget, but i'm definitely not going to cheap out on parts. I'm not going to waste money on ebay parts. I'm going to stretch out this project over a few years to give me a chance to save up for quality parts.

Thanks for the responses - i've been lurking the 6th gen coupes thread and the wheel/tire thread for a while and i think i have a pretty good idea of what i want to do. I just don't know that much about suspension and lowering and stuff. I don't know if a 17" vs a 18" whell will affect handling that much compared to the stock wheels, but since that's the first thing i'll do (unless i lower first, like you recommended) i don't want to buy some wheels that just look good when it turns out there are better ones out there. I just basically got the lightest wheels that i liked on tirerack that weren't $600 a wheel.

so what you're saying is that i should look for some coilovers to drop the ride height, right?

#6 ·
why do you recommend that tire set up instead?

edit - hey those wheels i got are exactly 20 lbs. maybe i should get 17" inch wheels instead? those are pretty light.

#7 ·
if you want REAL performance and the option of a BBK later then 17's are your best bet. u can get nice and wide 17" that are about 18 pounds a piece with some sticky rubber. but if you never plan on getting a BBK then even 16's will work out nicely but your tire choices get more limited.

#8 ·
i might just do 17"s. they're cheaper, the tires are cheaper, they're less bumpy, and you run less of a risk of breaking a wheel. the only downside is that selection is limited.

#12 ·
how are the tein basic dampers? i'm going to get those or the tein SS or eibach coilovers. i don't know if i really need something as expensive as the latter 2. the tein basic dampers are probably just fine for what i want. they seem like they're quality.

#14 ·
what did you do to get good handling?

Also, i think i changed my mind about the tein coilovers. i'm sure they work great, but man they're hack of expensive. i'm looking at the eibach pro system plus now. any thoughts on those?

#16 ·
If you want track level handling it'll cost you a lot for good parts. Tein Basics aren't going to improve your handling.

Look into some Koni Yellows + Ground Control sleeves that are custom tailored to your liking, AMR coilovers, or some top dollar race systems like Zeal or JIC. The last two I listed are $2000+ though.

Also you should get a Progress rear sway bar, some light weight wheels (RPF1s are nice and light, and relatively inexpensive) along with some STICKY rubber.

#17 ·
alrite. i need help with my suspension. I don't want to go cheap with this, but anything over 800$ really hurts my wallet. I am looking for something round 200-300 that gives me a great drop.

I want to slam it, not to the point where it will rub, but to the point where my wheel gap is almost non-visible or really minimal.

pictures would be great, and recommendations as well. thanks!

#22 ·
Im comparing more to th performance side. But see my car is a 50% Show (no right now) 50% go So i think im going to go wit a air strut system so i can dump and not scrape when i feel like it and then compete in my auto cross events.

Look up memeber Syclone for track setups on a Accord. He had a sedan and it rocked!

For suspension, all you'll need is custom Ground Control coils with Koni Yellows. DO NOT try to track with Tein basics or SS as they suck.

As for rims, go with a lightweight 17x8's with beefier tires.

Also I wouldnt buy a tire/wheel package from Tirerack as they try to spec it out as close to stock as possible for their name sake.
Man tat sounds great!

#21 ·
Look up memeber Syclone for track setups on a Accord. He had a sedan and it rocked!

For suspension, all you'll need is custom Ground Control coils with Koni Yellows. DO NOT try to track with Tein basics or SS as they suck.

As for rims, go with a lightweight 17x8's with beefier tires.

Also I wouldnt buy a tire/wheel package from Tirerack as they try to spec it out as close to stock as possible for their name sake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.