Accord V6 Forum banner

Plasti-dipped 19" HFP Wheels (Pics!)

20K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  hat22 
#1 · (Edited)
Finished my newest project today...so, because I bought the 19" HFP wheels brand new and want to keep them in as pristine condition as I can, for as long as I can, I thought "Hey, these babies have never seen dirt yet...what a perfect time to dip 'em!"

While most only dip the faces, I decided to go all out and dip the entire wheel (face + barrel). Barrels are one of the most neglected areas as they are hard to get to and easy to forget once mounted on the vehicle. These barrels are so beautiful brand new, I don't want them to get ruined. Now, literally all of the dirt and grime that normally end up on them, will end up on the PD which can later be peeled off - revealing that still-perfect OEM finish :up:

I wanted to do this right, so I thought of and ordered everything that I would need ahead of time:

1x Bottle Pre-Dip Spray
1x Bottle Brake Dust Professional
1x Microfiber towel
2x Pearlizer Wheel Kit from DYC
2x Tape & Drape
4x OEM HFP stickers
4x OEM Wheel locks w/ Key
16x OEM Lugs
20x Quarters (yes...$5.00 in quarters...perfectly covers the lug holes)

Okay! Enough talk...I'll let the pics do the talkin' :yes:

BARRELS

Setup after the area is masked off, cleaned in a Pre-Dip Spray bath,and tires masked off using the Index Cards method:

Coat #1 Matte Black:

Coat #2 Matte Black (wet):

Coat #3 Matte Black:

All four barrels received 6 coats for a nice thick layer of protection :up2:

FACES

Prepped in the same way as the barrels - again receiving a Pre-Dip spray bath and tires masked off with Index Cards

Coat #1 Matte Black:

Coat #3 Matte Black (wet):

Coat #5 Matte Black (closeup):

Coat #1 Pearlizer (Coat #6 total):

Coat #1 Pearlizer (left) VS. Coat #2 Pearlizer (right) - dramatic difference!
(What's really cool with Pearlizer is it's shine is dependent on the lighting - it can go from a dark Anthrocite Gray look to a bright Hyper Silver look which you'll see in the coat #3 pics below)

Final Coat #3 Pearlizer (Coat #8 total):

FINAL OUTCOME :naughty:

Installed the new (H) center cap emblems, new HFP stickers, and quarters removed from the lug holes

Faces Before (OEM Bronze):

Faces After (Dipped):

Barrels Before (OEM):

Barrels After (Dipped):

I am very pleased with the way it all came out.

See less See more
#4 ·
Just for people who may see this thread and not know exactly what Plasti-Dip is or perhaps is like me and is a "Yea okay...I'll believe it when I see it..." type of person... I took these pics just now of the quarters I used to cover my lug holes to prevent the lug nuts tearing the dip as they go on and off the hub.

Some may be thinking "Holy crap...I can't believe he actually sprayed his brand new wheels!" Believe me...I was a bit hesitant and asked myself "Do I really want to do this?" So I started off by painting the center caps first; and it wasn't until I peeled the dip off of them (revealing yet again the absolutely clean, pristine OEM finish) that I decided to actually ever touch this stuff to my new wheels lol ;)

Anyhow, here are the quarters dipped & then peeled. I had all 20 peeled in < 3 minutes (sorry about the 1st three quarters...I already started before thinking about taking a pic) but each of the "residue" is laying next to the quarter it came off of in the 2nd pic :up2: Without a doubt, I could hand these quarters to a cashier and she'd never know they were ever dipped haha! That stuff truly is pretty cool.

#6 ·
They're ~27lbs w/o tires - so, a couple lbs heavier than my stock 17" 9-spokes but the exact same weight as my 18" 10-spokes are now :up2:

#12 ·
Thanks, my friend! :) I believe in total I spent around $150 for everything (one nice thing with DYC.com is you get 1 point for every dollar spent which you can then use as cashback on your next order) so when I had to order the 2nd wheel kit, I saved a few bucks)

Did you mount the wheels yet? Pics now.
lol not yet Brian ;) We're still having snow on and off in NE so I'm anxious for this crap to go away so I can get these babies on!!!

Looking good Ben. :cheers:
Waiting on pics of wheels mounted.

3 sets of rims Ben? why not go for 4, one for every season. lol
LOL thanks Frank! But I only have two sets :up2: The 8G 18" V6 coupe 10-spokes and now the 19" 8G HFP's - I sold the 19" Genesis Coupe Track wheels at the end of last season

#14 ·
Because the quarters sit so low in, they don't have as thick of a layer around them as the sides of the lug hole. So what I did was just use my pinky and pop them out from behind in one quick motion. Due to their edges, it nicely cut the dip and they popped right out without messing with the rest of the dip

#18 ·
Personally, I do not like black wheels. They look no better than steelies unless it has some sort of color with it (chrome lip...colored star...etc.) Also, everyone and their mother does matte black when dipping their wheels - I enjoy being unique ;) On DA I actually had a lot of people say when they read the title they thought "Oh, here we go, another matte black setup" and thanked me when they found out they weren't. But thanks on the compliment, man, appreciate it!

#19 ·
You asked for...I delivered :yes:

Without further ado, I present pics & videos of them on the car! Once mounted, the tires were filled to 36.5 PSI, and had their brand new OEM lug nuts / wheel locks installed.

PICS:

(Before) 18" 8G V6 Coupe Wheels - Winter setup:

(Comparison) 18" VS. 19" 8G 10-Spokes

(After) 19" 8G HFP Wheels - Summer setup:

Her just being a sexy model ;)

VIDEOS:

Plasti-dipping them w/ 5 coats matte black, 3 coats Pearlizer:
Plasti-dipped HFP Wheels - Final outcome

Finally installed on the car!:
7.5G EX-L V6 Coupe w/ 19" HFP Wheels

Reactions: MuGen7Modulo
#25 · (Edited)
Nope, still have some lowering room ;) The last pic is the true level of the rear (little bit of tire tuck) - the previous pics look higher because I was on a slight incline in the driveway

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.