Accord V6 Forum banner

Performance Tire Recommendations ?

6K views 52 replies 18 participants last post by  CBUS-AV6MT 
#1 ·
This is just getting ridiculous now...grandma shifting into second & It's like I'm driving in the rain 24/7....it grips second then breaks traction again shortly after. 60-70% thread wear left on Potenza re11a which was super sticky in beginning. Lil over 10k miles and 3 oil changes now we here wtf lol
17x9 rpf1s/225/45/17

https://vimeo.com/110205322

#2 ·
Your not going to beat those tires unless you get drag tires. But if it's cold outside that's your problem. I have no traction if it's in the 60's without Sun. If the sun is out I'm ok. 40-50 bad 30 and below is stupid..

#11 ·
Tire shop says 245 is too wide. I think they are full of it. Ive been looking to upgrade my fronts and this Jiga21 post may seal the deal for me. I am running 225/40/18 now. Looking to go wider for sure and cut the inner fender out plus lift the car a bit if needed.

What have you guys seen ran? I am a tire noob.

#12 ·
Hey, just fyi wider isn't always better.. For acceleration you want a longer tire patch, not a wider one. Wider is for turns. Look at top fuel cars. When they actually start moving the tire patch isn't very wide, but it is very long.

#18 ·
From what I've seen, finding a balance between sidewall height and width of the tire is optimal. Yes a taller tire will affect the gearing, but not horribly. If you watch a slow motion launch on slicks, you will see the sidewall crease. This is very important because it shows soft, but relatively large sidewalls are more effective for drag racing.

No one is talking about truck tires, don't be silly.

#19 ·
245-45 Federal Evo's on 17x9's. Even worn 70% they still grip 2nd (NA) pretty damn good. 1st doesn't break loose but a little, and it's slamming second which breaks them loose. Overall I was happy with them.

AT 70% worn, it's time for new tires and I'll be buying the Mickey Thompson Street Comps. (245-45). They are not directional which is a big plus for me. LS guys putting down 450+WHP use them and dead hook if they bring pressure down to 25psi

#20 ·
You should definitely be fine but it is worth mentioning that hooking in a fwd car is way different, obviously. You may be able to hook in a 450whp camaro, and spin in a 350whp car. Fwd ftl

Reactions: Sonnick
#22 ·
^ baseball bat rolled the rear maybe a 1/2", and 1/4 on front (still rub on hard dips) but I'm pretty much slammed now.

Only traction issue I have NA is 1st from a launch, right off the line. If I punch it in first its fine. I lock the rear (adjustable coilovers) and she sticks. I used to spin like Jiga on stock suspension and 225 tires

#24 ·
I have similar issues on my tires, they worked fine on my previous car, only difference than stock is they were a little taller. When it thinks about rain, it slides and spins like Ice. I have noticed it seems to be getting worse the cooler it gets in the dry temps and hitting the brakes. Starting to squeal when I hit the brakes hard.

Glad to knwo im not the only one. Im going to look at finding another set of rims and find a different set of tires. I have Yokohamas (Spelling?) and had Kuhmos (SP?) before that (came when I got the car) and they did the same thing in the rain.

#26 ·
I forgot to add the Federal Evos are NOT good at all in the rain. They are a high performance summer tire, believe me when I say these hydro plane every 5 sec. on the interstate and its not fun. I actually slid over two lane with them one time, no control at all.

#27 ·
I used to not spin at all in 1st until I got the FD on General GMAX AS-03 215/55/17. The extra sidewall definitely helps. But now with the FD I spin 1st and 2nd, although not NEARLY as bad.

#31 ·
I just put 225/45r17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport's on my 2006 6-6 and they are incredible. Of course I can only compare to the worn out Michelin MXM4's that were on the car when I bought it a year and a half ago, but the difference is insane - like I'm driving a different car. And I cornered hard even with the old tires.

I'd have to slap a bunch of different tires on the car on the same day and push each hard to compare, but I love these new tires and they have very high ratings at every review site. They are overkill for a typical Accord and the guy did state he'd never seen them go on a Accord before, I just laughed and said it makes me feel the car is cool and keeps me from buying a new car. But with the TL-S sway bars I can corner pretty good and these tires help a lot. Also was great in rain over the weekend.

#33 ·
If the lower price of oil leads to cheaper tires (and it should), definitely interested in Pilot Sport A/S for my car, especially with the TL-S front and Progress rear anti-roll bars. Should be able to take advantage of the extra grip now.

#34 ·
I am currently running on Goodyear Eagle GT's 205/60/16's and they are DYNAMITE! They offer excellent wet traction, reasonable snow/ice traction and excellent (sub $200 per tire) dry road performance. I live in the northeast so I have to buy "all season" tires and these are the best I've found so far.

#35 ·
Well, I've had the Eagle Sport A/S tires on my car a full year and about 28,000 miles. Still have decent life left in them (probably at least 15k miles), grip well and are very quiet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.