Accord V6 Forum banner

New front speakers help

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Scottwax 
#1 ·
So my driver side door speaker is blown. It still kinda works, but its crackling and the bass response is terrible.

I just need a replacement. Should I just look for a stock speaker replacement or get something aftermarket. Not looking for anything fancy. Just something that sounds better than a blown speaker.

I have an 06 Accord V6 EX Sedan.
Can anyone make a recommendation? Thanks.

#2 ·
Get some cheap speakers that still look decent, the scosche ones from wallyworld look premium at bargain prices. Best buy has a good selection, and it's a store so you can actually touch the stuff before you buy, not like online. Lately I've been disappointed with pioneer and Sony, the bass from the subs is good, but the speaker bass is horrendous on some of the newer designed speakers.

#6 ·
Yes you can use the stock head. It pushes more than 10 watts lol. If you want to spend a few dollars, get a quality set of front and rear speakers and an alpine power pack. It will run off the H/U so there is no need for a seperate power supply, it won't break the bank and you'll get great sound. IMHO if you enjoy your music don't cheap out on the components. Prob be a good idea to get a noise isolator while your at it, makes a huge difference.

#7 ·
OK. Thanks for the advise. This is all new to me. I will look into this Alpine Power pack. Can you post a link to a "noise isolator"?

Although I'm not sure I'm ready to spend hundred of dollars replacing all this stuff, when all I really need is one drivers door replacement speaker. lol.

#8 ·
Just google noise isolator car audio, you'll get the idea. 2 sets of speakers, the power pack and isolators should cost less than $250 for good speakers. You won't regret it. If you are just a casual radio listener, go with just the cheap walmart junk speakers. Otherwise don't scrimp on audio components. It is one of the "you get what you pay for" items.

#9 ·
Wow stevilknievel you just gave me some great ideas. I've been planning a big audio build for my 07 coupe, but have been kind of stumped due to budget and components. Decided I would definitely stick with the factory HU rather than that cheap looking metra crap and then just add an MS-8 for added SQ. Would be upset with the 20 watts it pushes, but would give me good imaging and could always add an amp later.

So the power pack uses factory wiring? No need to run cables, although I'm sure a second ground is advised? If I went this route what would be the best way of adding an EQ? Should I still go MS-8? If I did go MS-8 would it be worth it and easier to just add an external amp or would the powerpack still a good deal?

#11 ·
It all depends on how big and how expensive you want to go. The power pack is really only used as a 4 channel amp for smaller speakers. It runs 45x4 rms(so they claim) I wasn't looking for boomboom bass and I am happy with the mids and bass my speakers already provide. If you are planning on running a powered sub, don't bother with this kit. Crutchfield is recommending now that you run a separate power wire for the unit. I found that to be unnecessary. As far as an EQ goes, just get crossovers for the proper freq. range of your speakers. Like I said, it's all up to you and your budget:up:

#12 ·
Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack. Look for that one. I believe you are looking at the 190U version which IMHO is just silly. It's not exactly plug and play. If you are competent in stereo installation and wiring, you shouldn't have any trouble, if not you should have someone do it for you. Also, don't forget to get some double sided 3M tape, you'll thank me later lol.

#15 ·
I have 6.5 Alpine SPS-610 speakers in the doors. Clean sound, good bass without being boomy. Have the 6 x 9 SPE 6090 Alpines in the rear shelf.

I have the factory nav so it apparently has the premium factory audio system. Replacing the speakers made it sound so much cleaner.

#16 ·
How you say premium sound system scott does the HU actually put out more power is it just rated higher wattage cuz it has to run the display? Stock system is 120w and nav system is 180w I believe.

And ya stevil I'm not trying to go big. Last car I had 35 to speakers and thats all I needed. I'm going more SQ with this one tho including more sound deadening and want eq and staging hence the MS-8. So I'm guessing if I went that route it would be easier to add an external amp after. The powerpack would just increase noise I'm guessing.

#22 ·
Ya 35 watts to speakers. And I don't care to go crazy loud. Thinking the aftermarket amps on the MS-8 will provide the power I'm looking for on aftermarket speakers. Thinking of going Kappas as well. If I want to amp later I always can. Stevil how did you mount your front speakers? MDF cut outs?

#23 · (Edited)
If you have a sound shop they can do it for you. Pretty simple stuff. You can make a template and cut to spec or the easiest way is crutchfield. They will supply you with all the harnesses and adapters you will need, based on vehicle specs, for free if you purchase the speakers through them. Or you can buy them there straight up. Decent quality but don't be mad if you need to shave something down or bore a hole out.

Edit: MAKE SURE YOU TAKE NOTE OF THE DEPTH OF THE MAGNET ON THE SPEAKER!!! Kappas shouldn't give you trouble but, some bigger ones like focals have massive magnets on the back that they don' account for in the dimmensions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.