Accord V6 Forum banner

Auto shifter change?

4K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  StevilKnievel 
#1 ·
Seen it done before. Anybody have a link or instructions on how to change the factory shift knob for the auto? It is so tall and unsightly and I have wanted to change it ever since owning the vehicle. I plan on taking out the carpet soon and would love to change this when I have everything apart.

Thanks guys.

#2 ·
I don't have a diy or anything but I support you doing it, I did it on my 6th gen and it looked so much better! I just got some pilot motorsports one from pepboys lol. Took 5 min to change out.

#13 ·
I don't think it's just the physical button that prevents engaging Reverse gears...

For example (albeit poor), I've seen videos of throwing a Toyota truck into Reverse on the highway at 75mph just to enable the OEM backup camera feed and see the tow hitch; it coasts in neutral.

One would hope there is PCM protection built in...

#15 ·
hope this helps, i posted this on DA and forgot to post it on here but its fairly simple if swapping for Honda OEM, then OEMs, then aftermarkets (in order of difficulty and possible problems, main one being the button not engaging to Shift Gears)

fairly straight forward, remove 2 screws holding Shift Knob on front

1. pic of just both Auto Shift Knobs:

2. the 2 screw holes do not line up, i shaved off the bottom piece circled in red as it will not sit correctly in P (park) and you can see the height difference

3. pic installed, i need to shave down the bottom black piece and resintall it, was starting to snow

4. comparison of both, 06-07 feels less clunky and "old school."

sorry about camera phone pics. first impressions, very well made than previous one and the perforated Leather is great, matches the aftermarket Steering Wheel cover

will update when finished, thanks for looking

rest of Thread
installed: 06-07 Automatic Shifter Knob
installed: 06-07 Automatic Shifter Knob - Drive Accord Honda Forums

#16 · (Edited)
I didn't want a stock accord shifter. I have never liked them. Nice write-up though. Mine is requiring a bit of modification but it seems like it is going to be exactly what I was looking for. I'll have mine up soon, just trying to track down an odd ball fastener. Do you believe that not one single hardware store in my area carries an M6x1.00x50 panhead phillips?!? 18,000 different varieties of standard screws but even the closest to what I was looking for, 1/4x28x2in, they didn't have.

Edit: Had to special order the screw. It cost $8.27 - .27c for the screw and $8.00 to ship lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.