Accord V6 Forum banner

Dyno tomorow....

5K views 70 replies 27 participants last post by  SteVTEC 
#1 ·
Tomorow I'm going to get my car dyno'ed just to see what it puts to the wheels stock, before I start modifieing it with intak, exaust,etc..
I will have 92oct in the tank and it will be corrected hp. I will post the results tomorow. :D

#5 ·
I am planning a dyno session this coming weekend, April 3rd. I'm an automatic with an Injen cold air. So I too will have to see what the car can put down.

Let us know what your 6spd puts down

Dustin

#6 ·
S.A.M6 said:
Tomorow I'm going to get my car dyno'ed just to see what it puts to the wheels stock, before I start modifieing it with intak, exaust,etc..
I will have 92oct in the tank and it will be corrected hp. I will post the results tomorow. :D
two things to remember:

1. dyno in 4th gear!!!!!!!! :)

2. Make sure they give you your SAE corrected numbers, not std!

#8 ·
Yeah, I didn't get to dyno mine before I put my intake on it. I'm going to dyno it later before I do exhaust or anything else. I just have done the AEM v2 CAI.

#11 ·
Yeah post up those results

#13 ·
it's considered "good practice" to dyno in the gear ratio closest to 1.00:1. For AV6 autos that's 3rd, but on 6spds it's 4th. In the end it shouldn't make much difference anyways because the dyno adjusts for the overall ratio, and as long as you compare baseline vs modded dynos done in the same gear it's all good.

Some cars run a straight 1.00:1 "overdrive" gear but just run a very tall 2.xx:1 final drive vs a more common 3.xx:1 on a lot of cars, or 4.xx:1 on a lot of Hondas. For those cars you do need to dyno in one of the lower gears anyways. You'll either be hitting the speed limit of the dyno, or straining the engine and getting it extremely heat soaked and losing power by the time it manages to pull up to that high of a speed.

#14 · (Edited)
Time to post my results...just a recap I have a 2004 V6 6-speed.STOCK! I use 91 octane fuel The tem was prob 12C sunny. Done on a rolling dyno with SAE corrected hp and torque.
I did three runs. The first two were the same, the third was removing the intake flex tube that attaches to the air cleaner. I wanted to see if not having the restirctive filter and everything would give more power. My computer is F%ckn around :mad: with me right now and I cannot uplaod the actaul dyno sheet, But I will tomorrow. For now I will give you the numbers

First run was prilimanary with the same hp as the second,

The second run yeilded 212.1hp@ 6200rpm,
193.6ft/lb5200! :eek:

The third run is when I tried the method I decribed above with removing the flex tubing from the air filter box...
205hp@6200, 188ft/lb@5200rpm. :confused: what a difference.
The guy was saying that whne the air travels in a short path throught the intake it tis very turbulent and that' what causes the drop. Plus as you with see when i get the dyno posted you'll see how eratic the power curve is.

Too note for those who are scetical of results my un corrected hp would have been 219.5hp.....

Never mind computer coment here it is..:)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/462100

#17 ·
So we are probably loosing power with induction systems!!!!!!!!!! Great stock numbers... Can you describe this piece that you removed any more? You say the flex tubing? You mean the actual tubing that went from the airbox to the throttle body? What did you use in its place? Were you just allowing air to enter the throttle body without any tubing?

Thanks

Dustin

#19 ·
So we are probably loosing power with induction systems!!!!!!!!!! Great stock numbers... Can you describe this piece that you removed any more? You say the flex tubing? You mean the actual tubing that went from the airbox to the throttle body? What did you use in its place? Were you just allowing air to enter the throttle body without any tubing?

Thanks

Dustin
Roadmaster, I doubt it..

I think the problem was the air were not "controlled" to be flowing in orderly and efficiently.. it all have to do with the design of the tube as well...

#20 ·
I understand... It does make sense, an open throttle body has no true control of the air. But I have still been rather suspicious of cold air inductions systems and whether or not they do provide gains or not. If I remember correclty our buddy "torquie" dynoed his car with an Injen induction system and produced the same numbers at the wheels as other stock cars (ie VTEC.net test car)

I know some cars are faster, others slower... I just hate to think I am potentially loosing power with the Injen intake. I remember a long time ago sending a letter to Injen. I recieved a reponce that my letter was being resent to a more appropriate source, but nothing else ever happened.

Dustin

#23 ·
Thanks, those are pretty respectable rwhp numbers. Will be anxious to see the results of your mods. Particularly if you do a CAI, starting to rethink my position on CAI after this article in TOV,http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=214692
rwhp?

I understand... It does make sense, an open throttle body has no true control of the air. But I have still been rather suspicious of cold air inductions systems and whether or not they do provide gains or not. If I remember correclty our buddy "torquie" dynoed his car with an Injen induction system and produced the same numbers at the wheels as other stock cars (ie VTEC.net test car)
Torquie is an auto and will dyno at a lower whp when stock. The intake showed that his car puts out as much as power as a stock 6spd.

#24 ·
Torques car made 196hp and likewise an automatic 2003 V6 sedan on VTEC.net produced the same numbers. If I remember correctly the stock 6-speed produced 212hp, almost exctly what SAM6's car produced.

Maybe its time to sell intake and go with a 6-speed intake

Dustin

#26 ·
No, If I remember correctly Torqueaholic dynoed about 196 horsepower with his 2003 Automatic Coupe. His car, at the time was equiped with the Injen Intake System.

The Temple of VTEC car was a 2003 automatic Sedan, bone stock. That particular car produced 196hp at the wheels as well.

Now these were two different cars and two different dyno sessions... To be honest I don't know what to believe except that I know my car isn;t as strong as others (some stock) and I am beginning to reconsider my installation of the CAI

Dustin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.