Accord V6 Forum banner

Engine sounds louder in colder air

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Sick6speed 
#1 ·
Hey,

I have an AEM CAI on my car for the last 4 months. With in the past 2 weeks my car's engine is sounding louder. The weather is also getting cooler around 50's. In the summer and hotter weather you could really hear the engine around 4.5k rpms. Now I can hear the intake sound which sounds much deeper around 3 k rpms. Could the colder weather affect the sound? I have not changed the filter and have about 4k miles on the filter. Any advice as to why the sound has a deeper tone. The catalyst converter was replaced around 1500 miles ago, could this cause the problem.

Thanks

'04 6spd

#2 ·
lotsill said:
Hey,

I have an AEM CAI on my car for the last 4 months. With in the past 2 weeks my car's engine is sounding louder. The weather is also getting cooler around 50's. In the summer and hotter weather you could really hear the engine around 4.5k rpms. Now I can hear the intake sound which sounds much deeper around 3 k rpms. Could the colder weather affect the sound? I have not changed the filter and have about 4k miles on the filter. Any advice as to why the sound has a deeper tone. The catalyst converter was replaced around 1500 miles ago, could this cause the problem.

Thanks

'04 6spd
i havent heard a sound difference in the car when it's colder... but i have honestly felt a better pick up and response in the gas when it is cold. I don't have to press the gas a hard on a cold night, as compared to a hot day of driving.

#3 ·
Maybe the exhaust noise is getting louder? I've always noticed in cars that exhaust is noisier when cold, especially on cold mornings when the mufflers arent hot yet. Not sure why though.

#7 ·
Go check out the honda TSB section thread here - there is a service bulletin for this issue - it is the engine mounts - honda is replacing them (or at least the front one only depending on your VIN). It wont fix the problem tottaly but it will improve a lot.

#8 ·
dude said:
Go check out the honda TSB section thread here - there is a service bulletin for this issue - it is the engine mounts - honda is replacing them (or at least the front one only depending on your VIN). It wont fix the problem tottaly but it will improve a lot.

Thanks but that TSB only applies to 4 cyclinders.

In response to previous posts, the car feels like it has more power when it is colder. Yes, the intake sound kicks in at lower rpms 2.5-3.5 in 2nd gear, before it would kick in around 4 when the Vtech starts. The car is completely warm. It may have just been an isolated incident or is related to the temperature change.

Thanks

#9 ·
Although the V6 has different mounts they are made from the same material which in the case of I-4 added this vibration and noise - just in the V6 models I would guess the vibration are not so severe.

For the performance in colder air - don't forget that about these days the gas companies are switching to "winter gas" in the northern parts of the country and this can be a factor in the car performance. Otherwise sounds like very subjective opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.