Accord V6 Forum banner

Headers

2K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  03LXV6Guy 
#1 ·
Headers.. can we get them on our car.. if so where can i.. and if not WHY THE **** NOT!!!!

#7 ·
There are no headers for our 7th gen V6's. They are casted into the block as one piece. Only option for us is a J-pipe and even one of those aren't out yet. So we don't really have anything yet in that area.

Assassin is referring to the headers available for the 7th gen 4 cyl., not the V6.

#8 ·
The Sync said:
There are no headers for our 7th gen V6's. They are casted into the block as one piece. Only option for us is a J-pipe and even one of those aren't out yet. So we don't really have anything yet in that area.

Assassin is referring to the headers available for the 7th gen 4 cyl., not the V6.

OK no headers for 7th gen accord yet got that. j pipe? yes i am a newb when it comes to my accord, but what is that? is it there to make the primary pipes coming from the engine the same length? or is it for install of a true dual exhaust? :confused:

#12 ·
blusap said:
OK no headers for 7th gen accord yet got that. j pipe? yes i am a newb when it comes to my accord, but what is that? is it there to make the primary pipes coming from the engine the same length? or is it for install of a true dual exhaust? :confused:
a good way to learn is not by asking.. but by searching the forum or even google.. if you still have question, post it then we will try to help..

#19 ·
My05Sedan said:
I checked mine and it is true!
The 7th gen V6 does not have exhaust manifolds at all!
The cat's are attached directly to the head.
All three exhaust on each head have a one common exit.
Weird!
It's not weird. They want the cats to get as hot as possible and stay hot to reduce emissions. What better way than to place the cats just a couple inches away from the exhaust valves? This was the most efficient way to do it. Hence the ULEV rating on the 7th gen Accords. 50% less emissions than the average new car. You get all that and a very powerful/efficient 240 HP out of only 3.0 liters. The stock exhaust system must be pretty efficient to produce that kind of power. Headers will do little for an otherwise unmodified engine anyway. I'm sure that if someone wanted to build an all-out race car the stock manifolds could be machined off of the heads, and something else (tubular "headers"?) could be welded onto them. Obviously this will be expensive, and not practical for most of us.

#20 ·
lazybum said:
The 7th gen does have an exhaust manifold, its just built into the engine block.
Here it is again..
Originally Posted by jpl95si
Team Honda Research will competing in the 25 Hours of Thunderhill with a Acura TL. The TL was designed and developed at Honda R&D Americas in Ohio (www.hondaresearch.com), so we were very excited to have the chance to work on this project and to help demonstrate the performance potential of the TL.

What you see is the hard work of about 20 engineers and technicians, who have been working on their own time for more hours than I can count to help make this dream a reality. This project would not have been possible without the help of our partners on this project:
H&R - custom dampers & springs
Toyo Tires - Toyo RA-1 race tires
NRC Aerospace - wind tunnel testing (http://iar-ira.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/aero_3.html)
Prototype Racing - custom header & a-pipe (deletes all 3 cats)
Roush Logistical Services - event transportation & support
Acura A-Spec - ground effects
Keihin - technical support
Comptech - lightweight flywheel (from CL-S), street cat back exhaust
Brembo - technical support
SPC - adjustable camber ball joints & links
Progress Technology - custom adjustable rear sway bar
Goodridge - SS brake lines

#21 ·
CL SLeePeR said:
...Prototype Racing - custom header & a-pipe (deletes all 3 cats)...
What does that mean to you? Have you seen their setup? IMHO it means that they spent the big bucks and machined the stock "manifolds" off of the heads, and then built headers to replace them. Below is a picture of the stock head. The 4-bolt flange that is facing you is where the cat bolts onto it. The piece that looks like an exhaust manifold behind that flange is cast integral to the head. That "manifold" would all have to be machined off, some holes drilled and tapped, and possibly a lot more be done, in order to attach a tubular header onto that head.

#22 ·
2003 VTEC said:
What does that mean to you? Have you seen their setup? IMHO it means that they spent the big bucks and machined the stock "manifolds" off of the heads, and then built headers to replace them. Below is a picture of the stock head. The 4-bolt flange that is facing you is where the cat bolts onto it. The piece that looks like an exhaust manifold behind that flange is cast integral to the head. That "manifold" would all have to be machined off, some holes drilled and tapped, and possibly a lot more be done, in order to attach a tubular header onto that head.
I'm working on getting you as much info as possible.. no, I have not seen the design so I can not comment on what was done..

#23 ·
Actually on the Thunderhill race car they did not use headers. Here's a quote from one of the developers of the race car, "Each head only has 1 opening on it and this feeds directly into a close coupled catalytic converted bolted (not welded) to the head. There is also 1 underfloor cat.

Joe at Prototype Racing (prototyperacing.com) said he would consider making more if there was demand. However, it is an off road peice only because it eliminates the cats.
There are 2 flow restrictions in the stock setup, one is bend before the close coupled cats which is part of the cat body itself, the other is the joint between the 2 banks under the engine. Some street legal gains could be made just from replacing that joint and retaining the cats but no one has made one yet and I don't think any layout work has been done.

This was a sunroof car (as that's the only way they come) but it was filled with a steel panel and the bodyworked over so it would still be smooth."

See, http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103752&page=1&highlight=thunderhill

#24 ·
ctsport said:
Yes, Comptech will be releasing headers for us real soon :gapteeth:
:rofl:

i3igpete said:
look under your car. it'll do ya some good.
:up:

GoBig said:
There are 2 flow restrictions in the stock setup,..................., the other is the joint between the 2 banks under the engine. Some street legal gains could be made just from replacing that joint and retaining the cats but no one has made one yet ....
coughcough***aftermarket exhaust manufacturers***coughcough***untapped market potential***coughcough

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.